New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 3 Cabuya B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A hidden treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

There is really not much to add to all the other fantastic reviews, which I can only endorse. We had originally planned to stay two nights at the Howler Monkey Hotel, but ended up staying three because we enjoyed it so much. The location is great--away from the hustle and bustle of Montezuma and Santa Teresa. The cabanas are rustic, but clean and comfortable. Jim and his help are great guys, always ready to help. I particularly appreciated the early morning coffee. On our first night, we were invited to partake in a sashimi party. Fellow Montrealers had caught quite some tuna that morning and were sharing it with all of the guests. We all sat around the big table and chatted and laughed. A wonderful evening in a family-like atmosphere. We loved being awoken by the howler monkeys every night and having a resident iguana keep us company--it gave it the extra exotic feel. We also enjoyed taking the kayaks out to Cabuya Island and hiking in Cabo Blanco National Park. Just make sure you get there before noon so you can make it to the beach and back. And watch those white-headed capuchin monkeys! Two final tips: enjoy a simple, but delicious and inexpensive dinner at Marvin's restaurant (across from the closest supermarket) and go fishing with Jim's next door neighbour. He's a great guy and will even clean and prepare the fish you catch in the most delicious way. All in all a fantastic experience in an--as of yet--undiscovered little place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sanny07

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Forked River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

A great place to avoid the prices and hustle of San Teresa and Mal Paiese , rustic and rough looking at first view, don't let that fool you, had NO Problem with insects.
Jim O'Callaghan is laid back, a great and very interesting host . You are surrounded by nature, can use the kayaks to snorkel near by, and go on an interesting inexpensive fishing /snorkeling trip with his neighbor Jose.
Near by is a FANTASTIC soda with the best FRESH tuna meals I have had anywhere, Jim can direct you. Jim can also direct you to the nearby bridge for birding or the entrance to the National Park a few miles away {closed Mondays and Tuesdays}. The Howler is over the mountain from Mal Paise , a rough road ,but , like I said is laid back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank pmoon1946
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I spent a few days at the Howler Monkey Hotel at the end of my Costa Rica trip, and it was the best part. I'd spent one night in Montezuma which was enough to realize that it wasn't what I was looking for, and I ran away a few miles in the direction of a much more quiet and remote-feeling Cabuya. I had an adorable cabin with a kitchen to myself, 30 feet away from a really pretty slice of rocky beach. Jim and an awesome cast of characters staying in or around the Howler Monkey absolutely made the trip for me, between feeding me free (really good) coffee and drinks and hilarious conversation. He also told me about his go-to great food spots, which weren't in my LonelyPlanet. Jim's dog Roxana is a sweet and smart creature - we shared a beautiful Costa Rica sunrise. At the end of my trip, I had to get back to San Jose to catch my flight, which would have involved a few buses or taxi. Jim insisted on driving me several towns over and waited an hour with me to make sure that I got on a "directo" bus to San Jose. Definitely coming back.

Knife River, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in a cabina and enjoyed every minute!. Nice clean place and great atmosphere. Took their kayaks out to Cabuya Island, and its cool cemetery, fished out of the boat and then relaxed in our deck hammocks. Had a great view of monkeys, many exotic birds and your an unusually large iquana. Perfect place to stay to visit the Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve. This lesser know Reserve is well worth the trip with its mountainous trek through the jungle to a beautiful pristine beach. The Owner, Jim, was a fun host. Plan to stay again on our next trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelly2365
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Upon arrival, I was met by an affable Irishman, Jim O. Callahan and his dog Roxana.
My cabina came well equipped, safe water to drink with a great view of an intertidal beachfront with swimming at high tide. Monkeys and Inguana's were everywhere. I saw more wildlife at Jim's than I did in Cabo Blanco Park and the animals were less shy.
During my 23 days, I met and shared time with happy Swedes, Norwegians, Israelis, French, Belgians, Brits, Germans, Canadians, Americans and wonderful Tico's.
My most pleasant vacation ever!
God willing I'll be back for more ...

2 Thank 437michael
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Howler monkey is a great place to stay! My girlfriend and I made the last minute decision to stay another night in Montezuma and due to the high season we were scrambling to find a place to stay the night. Luckily, Jim was able to accommodate us at a super affordable rate. The place is quaint and I met some very interesting folks there, Jim also made us a cup of fantastic Costa Rican coffee the next morning. Great views and a great experience, I wish I could have stayed longer.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MasterBaiter
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I needed and was very lucky to get the last room at this very cool, very laidback hotel after my

earlier plans for Cabuya fell apart. From the moment I arrived I was comfortable and at home.

The setting is lovely and JIm O was warm and generous and funny . A real gem; so if you're

looking for that Holiday Inn experience be my guest and go elsewhere (And my condolences).

2 Thank professoradrian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabuya
Hotel Celaje
Hotel Los Mangos
Hotel Los Mangos
#9 of 19 in Montezuma
Kalapiti Luxury Jungle Suites

Been to The Howler Monkey Hotel? Share your experiences!