“Serene & Simple as it can be” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fountain Hotel

Fountain Hotel
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Mahabaleshwar
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Serene & Simple as it can be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Towards the end of March, we visited Mahabaleshwar. With limited number of days and looking for a place in the proximity of Mumbai, we zeroed down on Mahabaleshwar as many Mumbaiites and Puneiites end up doing. As it was peak time, getting accomodation was becoming a challenge at our usual places. In any case, it turned out good as we got accomodation at Fountain and it turned out to be a very plesant and memorable experience.

The hotel property is very well located, not in the market and not too far from it also. In itself, the property has excellent spread and scape and has stunning valley view. The open space in the hotel is really something that you keep enjoying. There was no clutter at all.

The room we got was facing the valley and could enjoy sunset even from our balcony. Room was neat and clean backed by excellent service.

The place is fully vegeterian hence, suited us well and the spread whether breakfast, lunch or dinner - was well thought of, tasteful and very kid friendly. We enjoyed most was the strawberries and buttermilk.....just soothing.

What can be upgraded is the play area. Though it has the basic facilities but it can very much be improved and will become a further reason for visit.

We used to check out this place and did not stay due to certain reviews at times but it is really a nice place for someone looking at good holidays.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are on the Valleyside. Rooms at the lower level have the advantage of your own spa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JB_TRAVELFUN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Planet Earth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend in March during low season. We couldn't afford the nicer rooms so stayed in a more basic room which was still absolutely fine. When we came back in the evening of the first night the manager told us one of the nicer rooms would become available the next morning if we wanted it, for the same price, and we were more than happy to take it. The price was very good, at least for Mahabaleshwar where everything seems expensive.

We checked out 4 hotels before choosing this one and it was the best deal by far. Rooms are very spacious, especially the second room we were in which was in the main building. Both rooms we stayed in had really nice closed balcony rooms, the second room was very nicely decorated, had two double beds, a hot shower and nice bathroom, and A/C. We were paying 4000 rupees per night which included a fairly decent buffet breakfast.

The location and the view were beautiful, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelling_Uncle_Ji
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is my first review on tripadvisor .. I travel frequently to Mahabaleshwar as I feel its one of the best hill stations in Maharashtra and much better than Lonavala .. In the past we have stayed in other hotels in Mahableshwar like Brightland , Dina , Hotel Uday etc and this time decided to try out Fountain after reading a lot of good reviews on the food , location , views etc ..

So this is my experience with Fountain .. We traveled in the month of Feb 2013 .. Reached the hotel , the views were amazing the property was excellent and I feel I had made the correct choice and this was going to be a great trip ... We had booked the New Annexe double room for 5500 per night + 1 person extra so total 6500 /- per night for 3 nights ... We checked in and the room was huge .. 1 large double bed and 1 single bed and extremely spacious room with a enclosed balcony on the 1st floor .. So I was double sure that this was the best decision taken by me ..

Now starts the horror, We were told to go for lunch as it was close to 2pm and they shut the dining by 2:30pm .. I was really looking forward to the food after reading reviews here on how delicious the food was .. It was a buffet system with old worn out utensils handed over to us .. We stood in the line waiting to be served .. The staff was extremely rude and were serving one spoon of everything and we literally had to tell them please can we have more .. They were literally throwing the food in the plates no jokes .. We sat down to eat ..food was really pathetic ( sorry for insulting food ) , full of oil and absolutely tasteless .. My mother who is a senior citizen asked a waiter passing by can you please get some rice .. His answer " Get up yourself and take it " .. This left us absolutely shocked and stunned to say the least .. I agree this was a buffet system and they cant serve everyone but a request turned down in this manner after paying 6500 per night ????

We then went to the room and decided to relax for a while , In the evening we were served tea and sev puri ( 3 plates since we were 3 of us ) and each plate had exact 4 pieces .. I asked the room service if we can get more and he said sorry this is all what we serve and nothing extra will be served which to me was again pretty shocking .. Its not like we were going to eat 100 pieces and leave them bankrupt ...

My mother had taken enough of this and decided this was it .. So we went to the reception and complained that the staff is very rude and your service is pathetic .. I thought maybe they will improve but to my horror Mr Mohan who was there at the reception snapped back and said "That their service is very good and all the other guests are very happy so we should have no complains " .. Well hello whatever happened to taking constructive criticism and how can they talk to guests in this manner ?? So we decided that we have had enough , so we told them that we would like to check out to which he readily agreed without persuading us even once to stay back .. Since we had spent most of the day there he said he would refund 2 days money back to us and we were free to check out next morning . We said Yes ...

The whole evening went in hotel hunting .. We eventually did find ourselves an alternate hotel for the next day .. We returned to fountain to sleep in the night and we even decided to let go of our paid meal and dined elsewhere .. I thought things could not get any worse .. I just could not get sleep full night as the room was very hot ( you dont need AC in Mahabaleshwar not even in the month of May as I have gone many times before ) This room too did not have a AC and thats fine but there was no cross ventilation .. The fan was also not working properly and the whole room was hot as hell .. This was the first time I experienced something like this in Mahableshwar ..

Next morning we were ready to check out .. One thing why I rated this 1 star is that they without any fuss refunded our money back for 2 nights .. That was the only plus point of Fountains hospitality ... This time there was a different gentleman at the reception so my mother decided to give him a piece of mind too .. He too said that " No one has any complains and all our guests are very happy & added that we get many foreigners in our hotel " Well excuse me if your hotel gets guests from abroad good for you that does not give you the right to treat your local Indian guests in this manner .. There was another guest standing there with us and the reception guy told us he is very happy with us, too which that guest told him " who said I am happy ?? Your service is so so , Your shower does not work well and please take constructive criticizm well for your hotels future " This made us have a hearty laugh and we left Fountain ...

In summary I would just like to say that Fountain left us very disappointed .. I would say there are much better places to stay in Mahableshwar to make your trip memorable . This place is best avoided !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank gaurang08

Travelers are raving about these Mahabaleshwar hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I guess this is the first hotel who forfeit your entire amount even before 48hrs......there was a death in my family and we requested Mr. Santosh-the Marketing Manager to take the cancellation amount and he refuse to consider the death in the family and was extremely rude to me, my travel agent and my father....I just don't understand how a so called good hotel like fountain village can have such un civilized staff....the Keys hotel in mahableshwar has the best customer service who understand your situation and even send you a condolence email....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Priyanka S
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Hotel Fountain was excellent to stay with. Quality of food was very good and tasty.
Location is 10 mins away from market and has a good view for the sunset.
Enjoyed staying there and would recommend to others to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Amazing Place to stay in. its location walkable distance to the market & Venna lake.
Good & friendly Staff & Service is good.
Only its In house restaurant is Pure Veg so you may arrange for eating out if your a Non Veg eater.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kalpana K
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for 2 days in this hotel. This hotel is very close to Mahabaleshwar market, Venna lake and view points. It has lot of open spaces with clean swimming pool, recreation activities, children's park. Food quality was good, but I felt the varieties in Buffet is very limited considering the price they charging.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family