“I loved the salli boti”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“I loved the salli boti”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The restaurant is small... not that huge..a simple parsi restaurant... they have lovely food... affordable pricing... good taste...
A must visit place

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Anibug

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good food”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We went there slightly off season and thats why maybe we did not get all the dishes on the menu. We tried the Parsi fare - akuri on toast, kheema pav and salli chicken. The akhuri and the kheema were totally yummy - we enjoyed every bit of it. The salli chicken unfortunately was a huge let down - juicy pieces of chicken but the gravy was plain tomato and had no taste. The overall ambience is very good though - cozy and nice and they play great music. Worth a visit again but need to carefulyl choose the right dishes.

• Visited October 2013
Solapur, India
“Cosy”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Visited this place after a decade -Still good but I felt it's lost some of it's lustre. Still worth a visit

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sandip D
Mumbai
“Brave and Heart-Warming Cuisine”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

How do you set up a restaurant that serves Dhansak, Pattrani Macchi, Prawn Patia and then add Grilled Pomfret, Mutton Chops, Mediterranean Chicken Kiev and then throw in Terrines, Mouses and Cheesecakes in a location where people are looking for Tandoori chicken, Chicken Fried Rice and Biryani? You don't, right? Wrong! Because, there'll always be people who don't want to eat everything they'd get in every nook and cranny of every vacation destination in the country. And if you happen to be that person (I am) then add Mahabaleshwar to your vacation list and treat yourself to one of the greatest absurdities in culinary ambition.

We've been to Mahabaleshwar twice, my wife and I. We've been to the Grapevine, about a dozen times. I don't think we eat anywhere else. The menu abounds with variety. The only things you won't find on the menu are the things you'll find in abundance in every other hotel in Mahabaleshwar. The only things on the menu are things you won't find anywhere else (except for the humble hakka noodles).

Ambience: The Grapevine is second to none as far as Mahabaleshwar eateries go. It's not a rush-rush affair. You've got to want to sit down and enjoy your meal. There's music, there's wine, there's some great conversation to be had. Besides, if you've gone to a hill-station to bounce around like a demented rabbit with heat-stroke then you've just wasted your money and your time, in my opinion.

Service: Clean and efficient. If you're expecting the kind of servility that hovers about you while you cough and burp then you've got the wrong place again. You'll get service, not servility. Call me crazy but I like that. What these guys do is look after you and they do it well. The owner of the restaurant, Raiomand, is hands-on and almost always shows up (rather mysteriously) to check on his guests. If you're missing some good conversation, he serves it up with as much panache as he does a lobster thermadore (yes, we actually got to eat that here on our first trip).

Food: After seeing the photocopied menus in the marketplace, The Grapevine comes across like a glitch in the Matrix. Sure, you'll find other places for Parsi food, but that's just the beginning here. And a very good beginning too. The chicken dhansak quickly becomes a staple. The prawn patia is highly recommended. The mutton kheema (parsi style) has a lovely after-bite of spice. If you prefer the less oily preparations then try the quarter kilo mutton burger. The fried onions on the burger are a treat and the potato wedges that accompany it are so well mopped that you'll wonder if they were even fried. The muttons chops....aaaah, the mutton chops. The meat just falls off the bone as it should. The chops, I am told, sit in a (just) warm oven for 6 hours, cooking at a hill-station pace. There's very little you can go wrong with.

Price: This is not going to be your cheapest meal in Mahabaleshwar and it shouldn't be. Prawn, Pomfret, Sea-bass and Cod at 4,400 feet is a bit of a pricey ask but you won't find even the best of hotels (at hill-stations across the country) offering anything close. I repeat myself, when you eat at The Grapevine you are treating yourself to one of the greatest absurdities in culinary ambition. That alone should make it worth it.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank kunalpuri
Pune, India
“Are you kidding me? Grapevine = dump”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Just got back from a trip to Mahabaleshwar. I went to eat at the Grapevine because it was so highly recommended on this site. What a mistake! The only good thing about this restaurant is the music (80s hit). We ordered fish and chips for the kids, Mutton Keema and some mutton curry with brown rice and some barbecue chicken. The fish was heavily battered, cooked almost dark and oily. The keema was ok but the bread (or toast) was a disappointement. The curry was thick and not that tasty. The brown rice was fried rice instead of the healthier option. And the barbecue chicken tasted like boiled chicken dipped in thick Teriyaki gravy. I am not sure what is Parsi food but I do hope it taste better than what I had at the Grapevine. And it was so overpriced. Basically, it is a place you should avoid by all means

• Visited June 2013