“Nature at its beautiful best”

Mahabaleshwar Hill Station
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nature at its beautiful best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

It's one of the most amazing hi station in India, and I can visit it as many times as possible. This tie i went with my wife by car (driving myself) it's very enjoyable ride from Mumbai-lonavala-pune-wai-panchgani-mahabaleshwar. Hill driving is not that tough, as there are not many tricky turns, and it was an easy drive for a less experienced driver like me. All the points are beautiful and worth visiting- Kates, Elephant head, arthur seat being the most amazing. Enjoy different fruits, srwaberry, muberry etc. Don't miss the salad at kates point. Visit Sizzler place (Shreyas hotel) liquor is amazingly cheap here and sizzlers are awesome. carry lot of cash, as there are only 2-3 ATMs n the city with long queues. Mahabaeshwar temple is worth visiting and so is the close by Panchganga, where water of 5 rivers meet

Mumbai
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fabulous place, always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

One the best hill stations close to Mumbai anytime during the year. During rains though you would face issues with finding hotels and things to do as most things are closed.

1 Thank Jay26882
Pune, India
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Marvellous Mahabaleshwar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

The April heat had started soaring to a new peak - all credits to the global warming and our ever-negligent attitude towards the issues pertaining to the climate change. The people of Mumbai have already started to soak themselves into the streams of their own sweat and the people of Pune are steadily blaming the climate Gods for being so harsh on them. Given such ruthless climatic conditions here in summer, there is nothing else than Mahabaleshwar that I could think of. Our trip in April, to this glorious and world-renowned hill station is still vividly green in my mind.

It was our first visit to Mahabaleshwar. It was a long weekend and we had a perfect plan for an early morning travel from Pune to the hill station. Mahabaleshwar is merely 120 kms. from Pune and approximately 290 kms. from Mumbai. Commutation is not a major problem if you are a resident of either of these two cities. Nevertheless, Mahabaleshwar is strongly connected by road to various parts of Maharashtra. The MSRTC, state transport buses ply between Pune and Mahabaleshwar almost as frequent as forty five minutes. The private luxury and volvo buses are always ready to serve you in case you happen to miss any of your scheduled vehicle. We chose to take the state transport bus from Pune.

Our journey began at 8:00 AM from the Shivajinagar bus station, Pune. A couple of hours later, we reached a place called Wai. It is one of the most famous rural destinations of Maharashtra. The fresh smell of the recently cut crops was steadily oozing through the window and enchanting my mind. I had a look all around the road that we were continuously leaving behind. The serenity of the green farms on either side of the road was dragging me close to the nature's bust. The elevations of the roads was making me feel that we were actually climbing a mountain. We continued to struggle towards gravity leaving behind the breath-taking views of the valleys on our right. Just then, I was completely amazed to see a couple of parachute gliders flying just beside our bus.

Our journey continued to progress as our bus halted at Paachgani. Paachgani is well-known for a varied reasons - boarding schools, it's scenic beauty, para-gliding clubs etc. But it is the ever cool climate of this place that drags most of the tourists to Paachgani. Mahabaleshwar is roughly 20-25 kms. from Paachgani. We decided to spend some time here during our return from Mahabaleshwar.

After a three hour drive, we reached Mahabaleshwar. Being a place of tourist attraction, it wasn't so hard to find a hotel. Mahabaleshwar has accommodation options to suit every budget. However, tariffs and rentals tend to rise during peak seasons and long weekends. After lunch, we decided to reserve a tourist vehicle for the local sight seeing. It is not very difficult to locate the cab reservation counters for tourists. Most of the cabs follow the fixed-price package policy and would give you a clear demonstration of the places that would be covered under a specific package. I kinda like such practices wherein the chances of the tourist getting cheated are ruled out. We hired a cab and here we started our trip. The hill station has several breath-taking views each of them are known as a 'point'. Every point has it's own significance and scenic beauty. Since, it was summer time, the greenery had started to fade away but the view remained unaltered. The needle-hole point was something that intrigued me. The spot had acquired it's name due to a small cavity between two huge rocky mountains. Similarly, the Arthur point has it's very own significance and history. It is being said that King Arthur used to sit on this rock and stared at the river bed for hours in the memories of his beloved who had died at that location.

The Venna Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen in my life. If you decide to spend a relaxed afternoon time at this lake, you may like to opt for a boat ride for yourself and your loved ones. Just beside the lake, you may like to try out some adventures with a horse ride. We decided to spend our evening at the Sunset point which was one of the best sunset spots I have ever been in my life. At times, the crowd that had gathered to watch the sunset in large numbers turned me down, but I promise that the majestic view of the setting sun from this place will definitely force you to forget the world around you.

Places gaining their names from the famous temples is a very striking feature of most of the places all over India. On similar tracks, this place has adopted the name Mahabaleshwar from the old Ateebaleshwar or Mahabaleshwar temple. In the local language Marathi, the word 'Mahabaleshwar' literally means - the God with immense strength. Interestingly, the glorious history of this beautiful place can be tracked as back as year 1200.

On the second day of our stay at Mahabaleshwar, we decided to do some shopping. Sometimes I spontaneously think of Mahabaleshwar whenever I see strawberries. In other words, Mahabaleshwar is the land of strawberries. On very single step ahead in the market, you'd come across a strawberry seller flaunting bunches of freshest strawberry. As a matter of fact, these sellers are most of the times, actual strawberry farmers. I had never had such juicy and sweet strawberries ever in my life. Neither had I seen such a huge strawberry market ever before in my life. I nearly gulped 50-60 strawberries in a single day and I believe that it is still not my best.

Pleasant climatic condition has boosted fruit production in this area. The production of strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries has given rise to several fruit crush and pulp manufacturing industries. The Bagicha restaurant just on the outskirts of the main market is worth trying. You may also opt to buy a few bottles of fresh squash and crush here. Besides the restaurant also treats you a variety of falooda and other fruit drinks. I am sure that you would not forget to clean the glass off the last drop.

Hill stations such as Mahabaleshwar have always been great hangouts and a short-lived rescue from the soaring heat in our cities. It is a hard fact that every place on earth is under the threat of Global warming. Places like Mahabaleshwar are definitely refreshing and soothing but to safeguard their sanctity and serenity is what I feel is the need of the day.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank neerajshinde
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good place to visit..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We have visited Mahabaleshwar for the second time.

This is a nice place to visit and close to Mumbai. Hence these are crowded o weekend's.

Our visit was at may month end. The tourist places were crowded.
Food generally every where was a bit fatty and oily. We enjoyed the first day at the veena lake and a horse ride in the evening was an icing. . My children enjoyed it the most. With slight rains and cool breeze and atmosphere couldn't be better. After that some good hot food and noodles was just awesome .

The second day we visited the table land and mapro garden. Table land was good but there is a lot our tourism board can do.. to maintain and make it more organised and keep maintained.
Mapro garden is just a shopping place .sandwich here is good . But this place is too crowded. Tourist driver's get a free gift here.

We also visited Pratap gad .. its a fort. This refreshed the story we heard in our schools. To reach the fort one had to climb around 300 to 400 steps.

New Delhi, India
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Picturesque Hill Station Mhabaleshwar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Mahabaleshwar is a city and a municipal council in Satara district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is a hill station located in the Western Ghats range. With one of the few evergreen forests of India, it served as the summer capital of Bombay province during the British Raj. Mahabaleshwar literally translates to ‘God of Great Power’. It is also popularly called the ‘Land of Five Rivers' at it is at this point that the rivers Venna, Gayatri, Savitri, Koyna and Krishna originate.
Situated at a dizzying altitude of around 4,718 feet, this tourist destination covers a small expanse of around 150 sq km.
How to reach Mahabaleshwar
Road: Mahabaleshwar is located about 32km from Wai. It is around 285km from Mumbai, the state capital. The nearest major city is Satara, around 45km away, and is 120km from Pune. Mahabaleshwar is connected by the National Highway 4.
Rail: Nearest railroad is Satara, around 42km. nearest major railway junctions include Pune (120km), Miraj (170&km) and Sangli (165km).
Air: The nearest airport is Pune International Airport, serving the city of Pune, about 120 km from Mahabaleshwar. Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport of Mumbai is 270 km away.

WHAT TO SEE IN MAHABALESHWAR
Panchgani: It derives its names from the five or 'panch' hills around it. At an altitude of 1334 m it is just 38 m below Mahabaleshwar.
The Rajpuri Caves in Panchgani is a religiously important tourist spot. These ancient caves are surrounded by many water kunds (ponds). Devotees believe that taking bath in these holy kunds will provide relief from all kinds of diseases and evils.
Parsi Point is a renowned picnic spot lies on the Mahabaleshwar road in Panchgani. It offers panoramic views of picturesque Dhom Dam backwaters and the lush green Krishna valley. Sydney point is another breathtaking beautiful spot near Parsi PointSherbaug, a picturesque and naturally well designed landscape, is an eye feasting valley in quaint hill resort Panchagani. Serbaug thrives with a wonderful children’s park and a beautiful rose garden. This unspoiled and unpolluted land is the home to many kinds of bird fauna, various kinds of rabbits.
Tapola: At Tapola visitors can be entertained by a variety of water sports. There are speedboats, motorboats and water scooters to hire.

What To Do In PANCHGANI
Paragliding in Panchgani
Fruitful Walks: The tourists can walk through the nicely wooded landscape and enjoy the beauty of the circumlittoral plains at its best, corroborator the Krishna Valley and watch the calm of the from the distance. The spectacular looks of the investments Knoll catch to mesmerize you till the bottom of your heart.
Adventure Activities in Panchgani
Pony Ride: You can even relish the increasing luster of Panchgani, by holding a pony ride through the old oak forests. The small ride through the small helmets and fields can never fail to enchant you. Enjoy the lush greenery of the bush and the external view of the valleys on the way. You can even hire the bicycles and taxis to take a jaunt tour of Panchgani.

Water Sports: The most exciting spot to visit at Panchgani is Tapola, where you can enjoy the many type of water sports activities. Take a ride on scooter boats and speed boats. Apart from that you can enjoy eating strawberries with cream, served at various joint on the Panchgani Mahabaleshwar road.
Venna lake is one of the major tourist attractions of Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra state in India. Venna Lake is also referred to as mini Kashmir. This is why it is the heart and soul of Mhahabaleshwar. The lake was constructed by Shri Appasaheb Maharaj, who was Raja of Satara in the year 1842.

The lake is surrounded by trees on all sides. Tourists can enjoy a boat ride over the lake or a horse ride next to the lake. A number of small eateries line the banks of the lake.

Where To Stay

Pratap Heritage Hotel: The food and the service is simply awesome. The waiters served us with warmth and frindlinessAll the hotel staff is very friendly.The buffet are yummy delight.

The Pratap Heritage Hotel was one of the most rejoicable part of our trip apart from sightseeing. Only thing is that location could have been better.

How To Book: