“Great value”

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Baga
Camberley
“Great value”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Lazy Lagoon is a small, fairly quiet hotel with about 40 rooms - it is part of the rapidly expanding Sarovar Group of hotels. It is about 1 mile from Baga beach. I booked two weeks in November/December through Cosmos/Monarch for a total cost of about £500 per person on a bed and breakfast basis including flights and transfers, which was several hundred pounds cheaper than Olympic and other tour operators. Rooms were fine, spacious enough with very large bed, flat screen TV, small balcony overlooking pool, pleasant bathroom with walk-in shower.

Dining room was air conditioned with reasonably priced a-la-carte menu, including curries and fish dishes at about £4 and even whole lobster at about £15... Large bottled Kingfisher about £1, bottles of wine from about £10... Choice of dining in the restaurant or garden area. Small air conditioned bar with dance floor and also outside open bar. Breakfast was fine - mainly Indian cuisine but with the option of eggs, omelettes, sausages.

Reasonable size swimming pool, with only about ten sun beds which proved to be more than adequate during our stay as other guests used them infrequently. Small gym with excellent treadmill, bikes, weights, exercise benches. Spa with very reasonably-priced massages and treatments (£12 for full body wrap). Steam room available which we didn’t use.

Hotel reception will assist with car hire (£14 per day or £70 per week) moped hire (£3 per day) or motorcycle hire (Royal Enfield Bullet £4 per day) - no helmets supplied. They drive on the left but it doesn’t count for much... so only embark on this if you have an adventurous streak. Taxis are safer and cheap, but a lot less fun.

Baga beach is about 1 mile from the hotel and a taxi will drop you there for about £2. On the way to the beach you will pass some really excellent restaurants on the right hand side - Poco Loco (part of Royal Goan Beach Resort ) has full menu including Mexican, with jazz on Friday and vocalist Nellie on Wednesday, J & A’s, Poisson Rouge... and also Jamies which is in Baga on the left just before you reach the beach parking area. They are very reasonable by our standards (fillet steaks at under £5) and drink is also cheap. If you have time, I would recommend that you try them all.

If you are a young party-loving person you will probable enjoy the busier and larger Baga and Calangute beaches (5mins & 10 mins by taxi). If you prefer a more sedate setting, try Candolim and Sinquerim beaches (15mins & 20mins by taxi). Further north, Mandrem and Querim beaches are clean and quieter (30mins & 45mins by taxi). The museum, observatory and new library in Panajim (30mins by taxi) are worth a visit and historic Old Goa is about a 15 minute drive from Panajim.

Lazy Lagoon represents excellent value for money. Some of the previous reviewers comments about cleanliness, linen, etc., have some merit, but I did not find the standards so poor to warrant criticism. Staff at the hotel were brilliant. Guests were mainly from India which was a very welcome aspect of the holiday - no offensive drunken yobs in evidence! There is not much in the way of amusement for children - just the pool and beaches which are a short drive away as mentioned above. Best money exchange rates are obtained near the hotel - the tailors shop opposite Sun Village was offering 88ir to the £ - avoid the exchange desk at the airport who were only offering 75ir to the £. One other tip from a frequent visitor was to buy malaria tablets in local chemists - stronger tablets (one tablet a week with overlap of only two weeks) are available for a few rupees, rather than the extortionate prices charged in the UK.

So, an excellent choice of hotel and I will be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank daveww
Lazylagoon, General Manager at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico Suites, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

It was our privilege to play host to you during your recent visit at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico Suites and we appreciate you sparing time and posting a review on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your holiday with us to the fullest. The team at the Hotel joins in thanking you for your lovely & gracious feedback on our services, food, room etc. Your compliments will go many a mile in motivating all of us.

Shiwam Verma I General Manager I gmgpo@sarovarhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We first stayed at the Lazy Lagoon two and a half years ago. We enjoyed our stay, but felt the staff we very unhelpful never around and so on. What a difference this time. We have just spent fifteen wonderful days and really think the place has pulled up its socks. The waiting staff were all amazing and all deserve a round of applause. Ajeet gets a special mention for being extra helpful and always smiling. The only downside to a wonderful stay was Bon the barmen. He has a definite attitude problem, and borders on the rude at times.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room then you will not have people above playing furniture removals at all hours.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eva O
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico Suites, Goa.
Your kind comments regarding our staffs, services, food as well as constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. It was with equal pleasure that your feedback has been shared with our entire team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place is okay but definitely does not feel 4 star.
The location is good except be prepared for a long trip from the airport (about an hour by car). Have to say it was a quite relaxed location away from the noise and crowds. The saturday night markets are only a short stroll away and Baga beach is about a 10 minute drive though you can walk it in about half an hour if you feel adventurous. Taxis are always available outside the hotel and cost rs100 to get to Baga.

The reception staff are not welcoming or friendly as other reviewers have said, however I found the opposite in the restaurant where the waiters were great.
Do NOT stay here if cleanliness is important to you! The rooms were okay but there were stains on everything from the chair and curtains to the pillows and sheets. Towels were disgusting, all 'fresh' towels delivered to the room each day were stained and old and always smelt of tobacco.
Air-conditioning had a mind of its own and really didn't cope well with the humidity in Goa. TV remotes also broken, air-conditioning vent looked like it was going to fall off the wall, shelves in the shower were broken, just in general it felt like the place was falling apart a bit.

The nights that we stayed, there was a singer with a keyboard by the pool every night that carried on late into the night that could be heard very loudly in the room. While I'm sure the intention was to entertain guests at the restaurant, it was impossible to get to sleep with the singing and I noticed many hotel guests going out to their balconies and shutting the balcony doors in an attempt to shut out the noise!!

If considering staying here I would definitely consider whether it is worth the money considering the very average rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you, for your recent stay at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico, Goa and for your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

Your positive comments about food and Restaurant Staff is much appreciated. We have noted the concerns that you have highlighted regarding FO & HK are working towards improving the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico, Goa.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Lazy lagoon experience was the best experience I had in any of my hotel stays.The Breakfast, Lunch and dinner was very awesome. The staff was very friendly and always approachable. The only problem is it take a fare of 100rs by taxi to go to baga.
Overall my experience was very nice one and would surely visit again and again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lazylagoon, General Manager at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico Suites, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Mr. Patil,

mumbai
Reviewed November 30, 2012

First and foremost I wud like to comment about the good things about this hotel and then later comment about an incident which was a spoiler.
the location is a bit away from the happening place baga beach.it takes half-hour walk to the beach.taxis r easily available right outside the Gate and they charge rs100 to baga and 200 to calangute...the rooms are huge, neat, fully airconditioned with a huge bed...a balcony overlooking the pool.only dim lights in the room..I wud suggest the management to install one tubelight in all the rooms.bathroom was tastefully done with a good size bathtub...The food was very good.breakfast, lunch, dinner was well spread with good variety...worth mentioning is the chicken ginger, fish in goan curry and fish in Thai curry.sweet dish bebinca was very tasty.....there is also a spa called ZURI where I had a very relaxing body massage...the ambience and service in the zuri spa was excellent....the hotel staff were very courteous and gave excellent service.very hardworking staff especially the kitchen staff.
and now for my bad experience...normally I m not a cribbing person but I this incident really hurt me...On the first or second day my 7 yr old daughter opened a small packet of peanuts kept in the bar counter in the room...my wife tasted it and gave me a few to taste.the peanuts were soft.we checked the manufacturing and expiry date on the packet.the man-date was June and expiry was december.I was there November end.we just kept the packet aside and forgot about it.it was my mistake that I did not complain about it to the manager.
Before leaving the hotel, I promptly paid all my bills, gave tips for the staff at the reception, gave good reviews in their feedback form, then staff informs me that I have to pay rs.26 for the peanut pack..I told him the peanuts were inedible and nearing expiry.he went away...we then boarded the car and were all set to leave for the airport.as we were about to leave, the car was stopped and the staff came with the pack of peanuts which we had left.he showed us the pack and rudely said u have to pay 26 rs for this.and he even Had the guts to inform me that expiry date was December...I told him to eat it and see for himself if it was edible.he just wanted me to pay 26 rs....a mere 26 rs. ...a hotel which calls itself a 4 star was crying for rs.26...it was shocking to say the least..my wife gave him 30 rs and we left .i cudnt even contact the manager as we had a flight to catch....after4 daysof good experience, this incident left a bad taste in the Mouth just like the peanuts.I wud like to advice manager prashant check all the snacks in all the rooms and throw away unused food after 2 months and not wait till the expiry date.even packed food like chips and peanuts become soft and inedible after 3 months... ...I was in room no 12 and I wud like the manager to eat the unopened pack of peanuts and let me know if it was edible.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank asa_77
Lazylagoon, General Manager at Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico Suites, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Mr. Amir,

As spoken to you over the phone we have taken a serious note on your feedback on peanuts.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

The Reception staff were unwelcoming and unfriendly. Towels for the pool impossible to get hold of. There are no umbrellas by the pool. The bedroom was clean, but the sponge placed between two beds had biro stains all over it, and clearly had not been laundered. Having said that, the food was OK, the restaurant staff were friendly, and the taxi drivers who waited outside the hotel were exceptional. Some serious staff training needs to be undertaken if this hotel is going to appeal to the European/US market.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Vanessabo
Dear Valued Guest,

Your kind comments regarding reception, services, food as well as constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. We have noted your feedback & trust me the same has been discussed with Training Mgrs. & HODs. Will make sure that we donot repeat the same again.
Sorry for any inconvenience you had & We look forward to welcoming you again.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is my third visit to this resort, two times I had launched my company product & one time came here to conduct the conference. During the launch excellent arrangement was made, many unwanted demand I had asked in the last minute & best part of that staffs made those arrangements on time with a great smile.Food has been a one of best part of this resort, either it is non veg or veg both. service was unparalleled. Room was well maintained, cleaned. property looks as new as it is opened recently. In fact i was worried to organise a conference of Parle agro & invite top bosses here, but everyone was happy with the arrangement & services. Thanks to the management & staffs of this resort. We will sure be back again.

Room Tip: top floor have better view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed conferencing with us to the fullest. The team at the Hotel joins in thanking you for your lovely & gracious feedback on our services, food, room etc. Your compliments will go many a mile in motivating all of us.

Shiwam Verma I General Manager I gmgpo@sarovarhotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baga
Acron Waterfront Resort
Colonia Santa Maria (CSM)
The Baga Beach Resort
Whispering Palms Beach Resort
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Goa - Arpora - Baga
The Baga Marina Beach Resort & Hotel

Been to Lazylagoon Sarovar Portico Suites? Share your experiences!