So, we decided to go to Goa for our Honeymoon, and after much investigation I decided that we should stay near the Baga beach, as it is the most happening place in Goa.
I booked a Junior Suite, and since its was the month of March, the staff gave me discounts on their MRP rates. Since the begining I was conversing with Ms. Susan Jacob, and through our entire trip, we learnt that she was the only polite and sensable staff Baga Marina had.
1) Location: I liked the location of The Baga Marina, it was not very far from the Baga beach, and neither too close. Just the way I like, so if you are looking for location, The Baga Marina hit the sweet spot for me, nearby beach, nearby ATM, and near by restaurants all at walkable distances.
2) Property: I liked the property, our Junior suite was actually tad bit bigger than their Super Delux rooms. They have a swimming pool, but surprisingly I wasn't allowed to enter the pool wearing my swimming trunks that I bought from "Wonder La" - Water amusement park in Bangalore. The staff insisted that the custome should not be cotton, hence I had to buy a new swimming trunk from them.
About the rooms, it was nice, good sofa, clean bathrooms - though the ventilation in the bathroom was a problem.
1) Indifferent Staff: where do I start, the staff at Baga Marina has only one mind set "Attend to the foreigners - Ukranians, Russians and neglect the Indians". While the rule of No smoking in the open / near the swimming pool was shown to Indians, the staff readily arranged for ash trays for the Whites. They always seem to entertain the foreign guests in the greed for tips or whatever. Both the managers and the floor staff were just not bothered about Indians.
2) Pathetic Management: Since it was our honeymoon trip, I had enrolled in a package that included - Airport transfer in AC cab, Continental Breakfast, River cruise, 1 day sight seeing in AC cab, honeymoon cake and bottle of Goan wine.
To my surprise, the day I reached, the person sitting on the counter kept asking for my credit card and full payment. I was a little taken back. I mean we just reached your venue, instead of offering us water you are asking for money....I mean I wasn't going to run anywhere. So I paid them the half amount (other half was already paid in advance at the time of booking) and I got the room keys and the meal coupons.
As we went to the restaurant, we order Fried bacon, chicken sausage along with the regular bread, butter, fruits, juices. To my surprise, they asked me to pay for the bacon and the sausage. I thought we had it covered, but their manager said that it's covered under the American breakfast and not under the Continental breakfast !
I asked him, "what's the difference? just a month back I was in Europe and Continental meant poultry sausage only ! why would I pay you so much for 2 pieces of bread, butter, fruits and juice ?" I mean I eat it every day in my home, does it mean it's continental ?
the manager then said that I can cherish the south Indian food displayed in the breakfast, that is included in the coupons. I asked him again "How is south Indian food - continental?" This went on for some time, then the manager barked "You cannot talk me like that, I am in this business for 20 years and Continental means bread, butter, and juices only ! .....if you want sausage, bacon you need to pay more!"
So much for continental, I almost made up my mind to quit the hotel and look elsewhere, but my wife suggested against it as time was running out and we were tired from our journey.
3) Pathetic Management - Part 2: In the evening, we were given welcome goan wine bottle. After sipping the wine with Chicken Pepper steak that we ordered from the restaurant, we both spit the wine out. It was smelling like a chemical. Then I read the bottle and it said Rs 30. against the MRP.
How can this hotel claim to be offering a world class service while offering the cheapest of wines in it's package.
More so when we decided to go for the complementry 1 day sight seeing with river cruise, it was a complete disaster. The reporting time was Morning 6:45. we were present there at 6:30. But the bus wasnt there till 7:15 AM. At this time I made a call to the reception asking for details for the delay. They said that they'll get back to me. more time passed, I again called them up, now someone else picked up the phone and I had to explain the whole thing to him again.
This circus continued for some time, till I took the cell number of the tour company from them, and decided to coordinate myself. It was another wild goose chase, the person at the other end kept saying "it will be there in 5 mins".
The bus finally arrived at 10:15 AM !
I hated myself for selecting Baga Marina, and the indifference of their staff. They seem to be only care for my money.
The AC bus tour itself was not to my liking, we made our first stop at Dolphin sight seeing spot near Fort Aguada, and we were asked to pay another Rs 300 per head for the tour. How is that a complementry tour package when you keep asking for money at every entry point ?
The bus guide, took us to a pathetic, cheap and unhygenic restaurant in the lunch time, All the passanger believed that the bus guide did get some kickback from that pathetic restaurtant owner at Dona Paula.
But the worse was yet to come, The river cruise was again and low & cheap affair. Although complementry, the gentry of people, mostly drunkards made it a suffocating experience.
The problem is not money, I had paid Rs 33,000 for the time period of our stay which was 5 night and 6 days. I was willing to pay more if I can get good serivce. But their "All inclusive package" actually cost nearly Rs 1000 or something on it's own. this is how cheap they get.
1) Don't include anything in your package, you don't know that Hotelier's definaton of "luxuary" is a distant dream from your or my defination of "luxary"
2) Don't drink their free wine, it's pathetic !
3) Don't include breakfast in your tour and pay more. There are several amazing restaurant / bristos in the near vicinity that provide amazing food at reasonable price.
4) Don't buy anything from their restaurant for the same reason stated above.
5) Don't include anything in your package - no cruises / site seeing - you'll be better off on your own
At the end of it all, Baga (the beach and it's bylanes) sports some good restaurants. But the beach itself is over - crowded and a local will bump into you every 5 second trying to sell something or the other.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Please update Hotel WI-FI will be charge not a free for all Guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Baga Marina Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Baga Marina Hotel Baga
- The Baga Marina Beach Resort & Hotel Goa