“Nice location, Indifferent staff !”

The Baga Marina Beach Resort & Hotel
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Baga
Reviewed August 21, 2012

So, we decided to go to Goa for our Honeymoon, and after much investigation I decided that we should stay near the Baga beach, as it is the most happening place in Goa.

I booked a Junior Suite, and since its was the month of March, the staff gave me discounts on their MRP rates. Since the begining I was conversing with Ms. Susan Jacob, and through our entire trip, we learnt that she was the only polite and sensable staff Baga Marina had.

Pros
1) Location: I liked the location of The Baga Marina, it was not very far from the Baga beach, and neither too close. Just the way I like, so if you are looking for location, The Baga Marina hit the sweet spot for me, nearby beach, nearby ATM, and near by restaurants all at walkable distances.

2) Property: I liked the property, our Junior suite was actually tad bit bigger than their Super Delux rooms. They have a swimming pool, but surprisingly I wasn't allowed to enter the pool wearing my swimming trunks that I bought from "Wonder La" - Water amusement park in Bangalore. The staff insisted that the custome should not be cotton, hence I had to buy a new swimming trunk from them.

About the rooms, it was nice, good sofa, clean bathrooms - though the ventilation in the bathroom was a problem.

Cons
1) Indifferent Staff: where do I start, the staff at Baga Marina has only one mind set "Attend to the foreigners - Ukranians, Russians and neglect the Indians". While the rule of No smoking in the open / near the swimming pool was shown to Indians, the staff readily arranged for ash trays for the Whites. They always seem to entertain the foreign guests in the greed for tips or whatever. Both the managers and the floor staff were just not bothered about Indians.

2) Pathetic Management: Since it was our honeymoon trip, I had enrolled in a package that included - Airport transfer in AC cab, Continental Breakfast, River cruise, 1 day sight seeing in AC cab, honeymoon cake and bottle of Goan wine.

To my surprise, the day I reached, the person sitting on the counter kept asking for my credit card and full payment. I was a little taken back. I mean we just reached your venue, instead of offering us water you are asking for money....I mean I wasn't going to run anywhere. So I paid them the half amount (other half was already paid in advance at the time of booking) and I got the room keys and the meal coupons.

As we went to the restaurant, we order Fried bacon, chicken sausage along with the regular bread, butter, fruits, juices. To my surprise, they asked me to pay for the bacon and the sausage. I thought we had it covered, but their manager said that it's covered under the American breakfast and not under the Continental breakfast !

I asked him, "what's the difference? just a month back I was in Europe and Continental meant poultry sausage only ! why would I pay you so much for 2 pieces of bread, butter, fruits and juice ?" I mean I eat it every day in my home, does it mean it's continental ?

the manager then said that I can cherish the south Indian food displayed in the breakfast, that is included in the coupons. I asked him again "How is south Indian food - continental?" This went on for some time, then the manager barked "You cannot talk me like that, I am in this business for 20 years and Continental means bread, butter, and juices only ! .....if you want sausage, bacon you need to pay more!"

So much for continental, I almost made up my mind to quit the hotel and look elsewhere, but my wife suggested against it as time was running out and we were tired from our journey.

3) Pathetic Management - Part 2: In the evening, we were given welcome goan wine bottle. After sipping the wine with Chicken Pepper steak that we ordered from the restaurant, we both spit the wine out. It was smelling like a chemical. Then I read the bottle and it said Rs 30. against the MRP.

How can this hotel claim to be offering a world class service while offering the cheapest of wines in it's package.

More so when we decided to go for the complementry 1 day sight seeing with river cruise, it was a complete disaster. The reporting time was Morning 6:45. we were present there at 6:30. But the bus wasnt there till 7:15 AM. At this time I made a call to the reception asking for details for the delay. They said that they'll get back to me. more time passed, I again called them up, now someone else picked up the phone and I had to explain the whole thing to him again.

This circus continued for some time, till I took the cell number of the tour company from them, and decided to coordinate myself. It was another wild goose chase, the person at the other end kept saying "it will be there in 5 mins".
The bus finally arrived at 10:15 AM !

I hated myself for selecting Baga Marina, and the indifference of their staff. They seem to be only care for my money.

The AC bus tour itself was not to my liking, we made our first stop at Dolphin sight seeing spot near Fort Aguada, and we were asked to pay another Rs 300 per head for the tour. How is that a complementry tour package when you keep asking for money at every entry point ?

The bus guide, took us to a pathetic, cheap and unhygenic restaurant in the lunch time, All the passanger believed that the bus guide did get some kickback from that pathetic restaurtant owner at Dona Paula.

But the worse was yet to come, The river cruise was again and low & cheap affair. Although complementry, the gentry of people, mostly drunkards made it a suffocating experience.

The problem is not money, I had paid Rs 33,000 for the time period of our stay which was 5 night and 6 days. I was willing to pay more if I can get good serivce. But their "All inclusive package" actually cost nearly Rs 1000 or something on it's own. this is how cheap they get.

Tips:
1) Don't include anything in your package, you don't know that Hotelier's definaton of "luxuary" is a distant dream from your or my defination of "luxary"

2) Don't drink their free wine, it's pathetic !

3) Don't include breakfast in your tour and pay more. There are several amazing restaurant / bristos in the near vicinity that provide amazing food at reasonable price.

4) Don't buy anything from their restaurant for the same reason stated above.

5) Don't include anything in your package - no cruises / site seeing - you'll be better off on your own

At the end of it all, Baga (the beach and it's bylanes) sports some good restaurants. But the beach itself is over - crowded and a local will bump into you every 5 second trying to sell something or the other.

Room Tip: 1) Don't go for standard rooms. I saw one standard room, and the bed mattress was as thin as my...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Ayon_De

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We have been going to goa for 3 years in a row and have stayed at this hotel twice.The good things about this hotel are: 1)the Location.It is very close to the baga beach the most happening beach of goa.2)The pool with the bar.after the beach we used to plunge into the pool, have fun with the music playing and do try the paneer tikkas which one can order and have at the pool bar.3)The staff is very courteous and helpful.4)I am a vegetarian and I was delighted by the food in Goa.The breakfast at hotel is very good here.The Italian restraurant is okay but the italian restaurant named Sirocco( adjecent to the CCD on the main road) is fantastic.Amazing Italian food.The reatsurant's north indian food and the dinner/ lunch spread is pretty good.5)the other thing very spaecial about goa is the availablity of two wheelers on rent, which make local travel very enjoyable and cheap.6)the Spa at the Hotel is pretty good.They offer good deals for family. The rooms are small so if you are planning to add an extra bed, it may not be possible( you can check will the hotel to be sure).But the rooms are well appointed, clean and nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel has a great pool, is in a good location, has a fabulous buffet breakfast, nice sized clean rooms, and is staffed by friendly locals. All this said i did have one major gripe, I travel all over the world and need to have wifi access as I work in Internet marketing, we booked this hotel as it said it had wi fi access in the rooms, which we were led to believe on agoda was complimentary. when we arrived we were told the wifi was actually 500 rupees per day, after arguing what was stated on agoda they agreed to do a 50% reduction of rupees per day. I need to use 3 different devices for my work, an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop, the hotel unfortunatley uses 4 different wifi access points so once my laptop, iPhione and iPad were configured in the lobby to work on access point 4, I went to my room where it duly dropped all wifi access and it took until next lunch time to have my iPhone and laptop configured to work anywhere in the hotel, in the end i actually did the configuration on my iPad myself as it was easier than try to explain to them what I wanted. we were also assured that the PC would not be affected when I returned home but both my pc and my friends mac failed to work when we returned home, its only because I have worked 20 years in I.T that I worked out that they had gone into the TCP/IP settings and set it manually to a static ip address. If anyone else had gone home who was not computer literate they would probably have had to pay money to a PC repair place to get their machines working again. All in all this aside, the hotel was fine but if you are traveling on business and need wifi access I would give this hotel a miss, but if you are traveling for leisure purposes and don't require internet then I would definitely stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: One overlooking the pool.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Global-Travel-Ninja
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Baga may and june
==================
1) over crowded.
2) very small road.
3) crazy shoppers roaming on streets.
4) absolutely mannerless people staying in good hotels.

Baga marina beach resort & hotel
=================================
1) name is misleading it is not a resort and it is nowhere near the beach.

2) it is near the main road and near hdfc bank atm which is the only atm on the baga -calangute road.

3)was given a room which was in the extention wing with magnificient view of kitchen, grabage going out of the hotel, all the hotel staff coming and going from the rear exit

4) the pool water was very very milky white.. The management claimed that since they have to buy water for the pools they just filter and recycle the same water....

5) didnt dare to try swimming.. I dont know since when was this water recycled.

6) hotel is located in a small lane with just no space for parking. I was lucky to get 1 car park but the next guy who wanted to park his car must have walked a lot.

7) there were photos of akshay kumar, sonu nigam and several popular stars visiting this hotel but i dont know if they had the same experience as us. Imagine akshay kumar staying in the extention wing with extra matresses kept in the corridors.

8)everything in this hotel is dated and old which has some benefits.. The hotel staff is well trained and very plesant.

In summary i think i was stupid of thinking about saving some money. I could have paid just 20% more and stayed in 4 or 5 star property.

And please avoid baga and calangute beach. Absolutely dirty beach, filthy crowd and too many sales people who want your money. Could not get even 1 minute of rest on the beach.

Both baga and calangute was really impossible and packed with dirty crowd.

Yuk !! Eating and drinking in the pools, swimming with t-shirt and jeans, hanging all their wet clothes including innerwear on the hotel balcony for everyone to see....

Room Tip: Please demand, fight or insist on pool views. Never settle for the extention wing.., cancel if requi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ajogdeo2000
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We planned a trip with two other couples and made reservations online. However when we reached, we were shocked to see the difference in photos and reality. Its a small shabby looking resort, rooms were very basic and certainly not worth for the tariffs charged! Staff was quite indifferent as they were only catering to foreign tourists! Only soothing part was a bar in their pool wherein one could enjoy few drinks along with swimming! Otherwise property is very average! Ronils in the same area is any day better, both location as well as price wise!

Room Tip: dont go by the website!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank staritika2012
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed at the above hotel from 23-Feb-2012 to 26-Feb-2012. We had booked a deluxe room since we had our 3 year old son with us. We were given a room on the ground floor opposite the swimming pool and right next to their restaurant as requested. The room was very clean and extremely spacious with good interiors. The bathroom was also clean and spacious.

The pool is clean and decently sized. It has a bar in the pool with the bartender making some amazing cocktails. The spa is also worth giving a try. The buffet breakfast is limited but decent with a live egg station. Overall food in the hotel was good as we did end up having a few meals there.

The hotel is not exactly on the beach but about a 5-10 minute walk. It is very centrally located on Baga with some pubs like Tito's & Mambo's being walking distance from the hotel. It has a Cafe Coffee Day right around the corner. The staff is very polite and helpful.

Overall a very good experience and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Ravi73
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I found the Baga Marina very average in most things, although there were also a few highlights and lowlights.

Overall the hotel is a bit shabby now and the room itself was a complete contradiction - brand new shower but very old sink! It looks like the refurbishment has been done very half-heartedly, with basically as little work as they could get away with. The tv channel selection in the room was poor and I felt slightly uncomfortable travelling on my own and having a ground floor room right next to the pool, as everyone could see where I was staying and that I was alone.

The pool area was fine, although I preferred the beach so didn't use it. I would say that the number of sun loungers didn't seem enough and occasionally it felt like there were just groups of locals hanging around that made me reluctant to start sunbathing there. The walk to the beach is fine, just be careful of the traffic and if you're a female on your own, you will get lots of comments from local men.

The restaurant was great for dinner, although very quiet when I was there. For breakfast however, I was really unimpressed. Not a great choice at all. I thought that the service in the restaurant was lovely and friendly until the manager started asking for my Facebook details, which was intimidating and not what I expected within the hotel itself.

The only other thing to mention was that in general reception weren't particularly helpful, just pointing in the vague direction of the taxi rank when I asked where it was, rather than calling them and helping me with my luggage. While I was in reception, I saw the quote for a room in GBP and it was much less than I'd paid on a supposedly discounted site in the UK. I could have just turned up as they had rooms free and then would have ended up paying less.

My suspicion is that if you bother to shop around you'll be able to find a guesthouse or B&B much cheaper and better than this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid ground floor near the pool as it will be noisy day and night
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo