“Most enjoyable stay despite the electricity problems”

Mbuyuni Beach Village
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Jambiani
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Had a great time here over Christmas and New Year. Nice bungalows, great staff and wonderfully slow service! Get used to it. You are on Tanzanian time here. Major problem was the electricity cutting out. Plan your shower before it gets dark. The guests staying were great fun. Lots of Scandinavians enjoying the extra daylight before going back to their SAD winter existence; The Yorkshire idiots who made sure the beers never went warm or that kidney beans would be served with fruit at breakfast ever again. Remember, UV rays at this time of the year are 11, extreme. Lots of very burnt people about..

Room Tip: Rooms at front are much bigger, but get well windy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Danny100

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here 3 nights with my husband. It was the end of our 2 weeks trip, and we just wanted to relax and enjoy the sun.

Service was nice, room was clean and cute, food was quite basic but good, breakfast was a positive surprise compared to other 2 start places. The beach is beautiful but not good for swimming (it did not matter much because there was a pool). If you want to walk to Paje or Jambiani, it takes more than 30 minutes. For henna tattoos I can recommend Sofia, she did beautiful job! Overall this place really offered good value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna_tre2014
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed at the place for 3 nights. at th Upendo House. At first it didnt reach what i had in mind so we paid for only 2 nights. however afterwards we added an extra night coz the place was just super relaxing and good. The beach is clean and the pool though small still good and clean. same applies to the rooams. they were clean. we would have done a 4th night if they allowed visa card payment, would recommend management to consider having visa card payment option. if i happen to be in Zanzibar again i would definately go back there. Thumbs up to the staff and managment of Mbuyuni Beech village.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank msadventure_12
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time. The beach front was beautiful (although at low tide it's difficult to walk across the rocks to get to the ocean), the rooms were clean, the showers were warm, the place was quiet, the pool was clean and refreshing, the food was consistent. Given the price, it was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TarzanJane2013
Reviewed November 14, 2013

we had a nice room directly on the beach, very quite, you can hear the ocean from your room. very good value for money.
there is also a restaurant with a terrace on the beach, the food is nice, you have to order it in advance, like many other places in Jambiani.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cris1234_11
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This resort is a very good solution to get the most from Zanzibar. It's very cheap (I have spent about 30€ per day, including food and room -- and I've eaten a whole lot of fish!) and the location is very good.

The problem that I have found is with the management. I mean, the staff is extremely charmy and nice, but the resort should go under a major rejuvenation. For example, they have table tennis facilities or billiards which are completely broken (and not very good to see in the surrounding). The restaurant is very good, because the raw material is very good. There is nothing pre-prepared, so if you order one thing they really prepare it on the fly. Yet... the service is the slowest on Earth! Prepare to wait more than one hour if you order even only a grilled fish... Otherwise you can go there before, order and then go around.

The staff is somewhat annoying, always repeating you "everything is good? ok? hakuna matata" every time they meet you. Maybe they think it's funny for people to listen to the 2 most famous Swahili words the whole day...

They offer a good pick up service from airport, which is less expensive than the tariffs proposed at the airport. Nevertheless, if you are (very) good at negotiating, you might end up with a tariff half the one proposed by the resort. Note that for doing this you need some time to spend at the airport.

They have a good selection of cocktails, which are cheap, and good enough.
When they figure out the bill, check the calculations yourself, as they make a lot of mistakes when summing up.

Rooms are very large, and cleaned daily and carefully! There are no windows (only nets to prevent bugs from entering) and the night is very windy, so it can become a noisy place to sleep.

Overall, I would recommend this resort and I think if I will go back to Zanzibar I will go back there!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alessandro P
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is an extremely pretty resort and great value for money; a place to just relax and enjoy the sun and scenery.

Even for a solo traveller, $45 a night, including breakfast, is pretty good value for a good sized, clean, comfortable and well-ventilated room with private bathroom looking straight onto the beach. The view is lovely - I enjoyed relaxing on the patio, in the hammock or sitting on the bench, reading or just gazing out to sea. I was in Banda 1 and there was enough of a breeze through the thatched roof so I didn't need to use the fan at all.

The room was spotlessly clean on my arrival but I'm not sure what the arrangement is for cleaning rooms - it wasn't mentioned and since I was only there for 3 nights I didn't ask about this. I think perhaps you're supposed to leave your key at reception and mention if you want your room cleaned. I was one day approached by a lady asking if I wanted my room cleaned, so I agreed and she hung around for a tip there and then (I was going to leave a tip in the room before I left) so I guess that worked out OK.

The restaurant and bar overlooking the beach is lovely. The food is plentiful, and reasonably good, though not spectacular - I like spicy food and, since the food is a little under-spiced in my opinion, I asked for chopped fresh chillies with most meals, which the waiters happily brought . There is a long wait for food but I wasn't in a hurry so that was no problem. Drinks are reasonably priced with a fair selection for such a small, out of the way resort.

The pool is small but clean and nice for a short, relaxing swim.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort and would certainly go back myself.

Room Tip: Banda 1 and 2 are really nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jambiani
Zanzest Beach Bungalows
Reef & Beach Resort Zanzibar
La Madrugada Beach Resort
La Madrugada Beach Resort
#1 of 3 in Makunduchi

Been to Mbuyuni Beach Village? Share your experiences!