“Pure relaxation”

Ranked #5 of 34 Jambiani B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“Pure relaxation”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent 10 days in June 2013 at the Red Monkey Lodge and had a fantastic time.
Red Monkey is an authentic place that is situated at a beautiful beach, next to an african village.
You can go for nice walks (even more beautiful at low tide), learn kite-surfing, relax with a book or your ipad on one of the sunbeds/hammocks/couches or ask Mark and Kristin to organise a trip for you to explore the island. We went for a 3 day last-minute safari in Selous that Mark booked for us and it was just perfect and an amazing experience.
In the evening you can enjoy a four course meal and watch local people playing football at the beach.The bar is open until late, but quiet, so we just had a few drinks and enjoyed the peaceful evenings.
Red Monkey lodge is the place you should go if you like to meet interesting people of different nationalities. The bungalows are very nice and clean with own bathroom. Don't expect a 5 star hotel with a big pool and fixed dinner times full of boring couples. It is just a beautiful place with a relaxed atmosphere!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After 10 days in Tanzania 'working', visiting projects and locations, safari, lots of hot dusty bumpy driving we arrived at the Red Monkey Lodge, Jambiani Beach for some R&R. R&R was what we got. We were welcomed with fruit juice, told about the hotel, mealtimes etc and shown to our room. The next 3 days merged into each other as we wandered up and down the beautiful beach, ate delicious food, took photos, watched the locals going about their business and not being able to take our eyes of the beautiful aquamarine sea. It was lovely and unspoilt with very few tourists and the ones we met were lovely. We had great intentions of doing some of the activities on offer, but in the end we didn't as just being there was more than enough. Thanks Red Monkey for a lovely stay, we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed during the summer at Red Monkey Lodge and found it a fabulous place both to relax, and also to work in peace with a computer and a pile of books. (And I actually got a huge amount of work done, finding the regime of early morning walk and afternoon swim followed by a sundowner at the bar highly conducive to work.)

After three days in raucous Stonetown, arriving at Red Monkey Lodge was like stepping into a quiet, hassle-free, white sand, barefoot paradise... I like the fact that you are situated at the end of a beautiful long beach and you can walk for hours, enjoying outstanding sunrise and sunsets, and the ever-changing vista of beach, waves, lagoon, and wide open sea. Swimming is safe, as the lagoon perimeter calms waves, and beach access is few steps from every room. At high tide you can almost walk into the sea from the lodge steps.

In the lodge you can be as secluded or as sociable as you want to be... it is a friendly, laid-back, relaxing place, and it tends to attract laid back and relaxed people, many of whom arrive through personal recommendations or are repeat visitors. I liked also the fact that the lodge has excellent relations with the local community, some of whom work in the restaurant and the bar (an outstanding perch, by the way, for a sundowner). Food was consistently good, in fact we never bothered to leave the lodge in search of another restaurant.

Mark and Kristine were extremely helpful, and Mark happens to be a treasure trove of information about travel and tourism in the region, not just Tanzania. He took an interest in my historical research, wanting to know all about it, and arranged a number of useful introductions.

This is eco-friendly, responsible, and sustainable tourism at its best; in touch with community roots, and blending authentically into the scenery with the lightest of footprints. I would love to see more places in Africa run like this one!

And if you sit quietly in the morning in the reading area backed by forest, you will probably see the famous monkeys, one of whom has a complete fascination with his reflection in a glass topped coffee table... we christened him "David Beckham", so in love is this monkey with his own appearance.

Having been to Zanzibar three times now, I rate Red Monkey Lodge as both the best place and the best value-for-money resort that I stayed in... and I will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robin H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my last port of call after travelling around East Africa for nearly three months and I couldn't have hoped for a more perfect end to my trip.

The lodge is situated overlooking a pure white sand beach and turquoise sea, a view I never became bored with. Sitting with a cold beer watching the kids play football in the evenings was lovely.

Rooms are nicely furnished and clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

I'd recommend this lodge in a heartbeat if you are looking for somewhere relaxed and informal, a lovely escape from the rat race. Personally, I'd go back tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah W
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had the most amazing stay at Red Monkey Lodge and can't wait to go back! It's an absolutely stunning spot, allowing you to get back to nature and enjoy the simple pleasures of Jambiani with great service from all the staff.

I stayed here in June with a friend and it was the perfect R&R after being on the road. We'd both previously been to Kendwa in the north of Zanzibar and wanted something a bit quieter this time. If you're after 5*, this isn't the place for you but that's not what Jambiani is about anyway. I think it was incredibly good value for money, with a lovely room, hot running water of a good pressure when we were there, fresh flowers adorning the room every day and the best views you could ask for.

Mark and Kristine could not have been more accommodating and helpful. From the introductory drink and chat on arrival to very kindly helping us out with our money problems having been unable to withdraw cash in Stone Town, they went out of their way to make us feel at home - they love their place and that shines through in their service.

RM's main advantage is its positioning at the end of Jambiani, meaning that it is not a thoroughfare and you can often have the beach to yourself. Just around the corner is a fantastic sand bank to explore when the tide is out and you can feel like you are the only people in the world. The tides are often cited as a disadvantage of this part of the coast, but I loved the way the beach changed throughout the day and the water was crystal clear and idyllic.

A true eco-resort, local children play football on the beach each afternoon, monkeys climb in the trees and women grow seaweed at sea. It's a working beach but there's plenty of space for you as a visitor and there was far less hassling than you get in the North of Zanzibar. Great food too and they will cook things specially for you if you request. One of my favourite places - every day we sat and looked at the sunset over a drink and felt so lucky to be there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I came to Red Monkey Lodge on recommendation of a friend who has been going back there on and off for the last couple of years. I'm embarrassed to admit but as we pulled up I did a proper jaw-drop when I caught sight of the green water and sand that looked like flour. I was greeted, relieved of my luggage and taken straight to my room within about five minutes and then shown the ropes pretty quickly. Rather than being stifled I was left to my own devices to come and go as I pleased and I still can't think of anywhere better to unwind.

If you're looking for the height of luxury, this isn't the place for you -- there are no TVs or modcons in the room, but then you don't come to somewhere as beautiful as Jambiani to sit inside air-conditioned walls where you could be anywhere in the world. You get up early to watch the women pick seaweed, wander out onto the sandbanks, try your hand at kite-surfing or go snorkelling, and in the evening settle down to the candlelit three-course menus.

Mark and Kristine are two of the most chilled out yet professional hotel owners I've come across and I travel A LOT. They are always on site if you need them for anything and make sure that everyone is happy all the time. The staff are so prompt, efficient, friendly and polite and they make the place a real joy to be in -- along with the monkeys who pop in every so often at breakfast.

I can't recommend it highly enough and will definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Coming off a 10 day safari we were exhausted and so ready to relax in a real people beach home. We just loved the beach aspect with the huge expanse of white sand, constantly peopled with locals coming and going - the Masai on his bike, the kids soccer game every afternoon and the women and girls collecting from the sea.
Our room was all you want for a beach holiday in Zanzibar - don't go if you expect the Hilton! The staff were always friendly and helpful. The restaurant served basic but good food and we could enjoy wine. The tides were indeed very low and high so day swimming can be impossible but then it was fun to walk way out and watch the kite surfers at low tide. Also we were able to use the infinity pool at Coral Rock nearby hotel as well as eat there when we wanted a change.
The sunsets and sunrises were lovely photo opportunities and it was all so beautiful. Do go and you will love it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple