“The most amazing chillaxing time”

Red Monkey Beach Lodge
Ranked #3 of 38 Jambiani B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After 10 days in Tanzania 'working', visiting projects and locations, safari, lots of hot dusty bumpy driving we arrived at the Red Monkey Lodge, Jambiani Beach for some R&R. R&R was what we got. We were welcomed with fruit juice, told about the hotel, mealtimes etc and shown to our room. The next 3 days merged into each other as we wandered up and down the beautiful beach, ate delicious food, took photos, watched the locals going about their business and not being able to take our eyes of the beautiful aquamarine sea. It was lovely and unspoilt with very few tourists and the ones we met were lovely. We had great intentions of doing some of the activities on offer, but in the end we didn't as just being there was more than enough. Thanks Red Monkey for a lovely stay, we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed during the summer at Red Monkey Lodge and found it a fabulous place both to relax, and also to work in peace with a computer and a pile of books. (And I actually got a huge amount of work done, finding the regime of early morning walk and afternoon swim followed by a sundowner at the bar highly conducive to work.)

After three days in raucous Stonetown, arriving at Red Monkey Lodge was like stepping into a quiet, hassle-free, white sand, barefoot paradise... I like the fact that you are situated at the end of a beautiful long beach and you can walk for hours, enjoying outstanding sunrise and sunsets, and the ever-changing vista of beach, waves, lagoon, and wide open sea. Swimming is safe, as the lagoon perimeter calms waves, and beach access is few steps from every room. At high tide you can almost walk into the sea from the lodge steps.

In the lodge you can be as secluded or as sociable as you want to be... it is a friendly, laid-back, relaxing place, and it tends to attract laid back and relaxed people, many of whom arrive through personal recommendations or are repeat visitors. I liked also the fact that the lodge has excellent relations with the local community, some of whom work in the restaurant and the bar (an outstanding perch, by the way, for a sundowner). Food was consistently good, in fact we never bothered to leave the lodge in search of another restaurant.

Mark and Kristine were extremely helpful, and Mark happens to be a treasure trove of information about travel and tourism in the region, not just Tanzania. He took an interest in my historical research, wanting to know all about it, and arranged a number of useful introductions.

This is eco-friendly, responsible, and sustainable tourism at its best; in touch with community roots, and blending authentically into the scenery with the lightest of footprints. I would love to see more places in Africa run like this one!

And if you sit quietly in the morning in the reading area backed by forest, you will probably see the famous monkeys, one of whom has a complete fascination with his reflection in a glass topped coffee table... we christened him "David Beckham", so in love is this monkey with his own appearance.

Having been to Zanzibar three times now, I rate Red Monkey Lodge as both the best place and the best value-for-money resort that I stayed in... and I will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Robin H
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my last port of call after travelling around East Africa for nearly three months and I couldn't have hoped for a more perfect end to my trip.

The lodge is situated overlooking a pure white sand beach and turquoise sea, a view I never became bored with. Sitting with a cold beer watching the kids play football in the evenings was lovely.

Rooms are nicely furnished and clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

I'd recommend this lodge in a heartbeat if you are looking for somewhere relaxed and informal, a lovely escape from the rat race. Personally, I'd go back tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had the most amazing stay at Red Monkey Lodge and can't wait to go back! It's an absolutely stunning spot, allowing you to get back to nature and enjoy the simple pleasures of Jambiani with great service from all the staff.

I stayed here in June with a friend and it was the perfect R&R after being on the road. We'd both previously been to Kendwa in the north of Zanzibar and wanted something a bit quieter this time. If you're after 5*, this isn't the place for you but that's not what Jambiani is about anyway. I think it was incredibly good value for money, with a lovely room, hot running water of a good pressure when we were there, fresh flowers adorning the room every day and the best views you could ask for.

Mark and Kristine could not have been more accommodating and helpful. From the introductory drink and chat on arrival to very kindly helping us out with our money problems having been unable to withdraw cash in Stone Town, they went out of their way to make us feel at home - they love their place and that shines through in their service.

RM's main advantage is its positioning at the end of Jambiani, meaning that it is not a thoroughfare and you can often have the beach to yourself. Just around the corner is a fantastic sand bank to explore when the tide is out and you can feel like you are the only people in the world. The tides are often cited as a disadvantage of this part of the coast, but I loved the way the beach changed throughout the day and the water was crystal clear and idyllic.

A true eco-resort, local children play football on the beach each afternoon, monkeys climb in the trees and women grow seaweed at sea. It's a working beach but there's plenty of space for you as a visitor and there was far less hassling than you get in the North of Zanzibar. Great food too and they will cook things specially for you if you request. One of my favourite places - every day we sat and looked at the sunset over a drink and felt so lucky to be there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I came to Red Monkey Lodge on recommendation of a friend who has been going back there on and off for the last couple of years. I'm embarrassed to admit but as we pulled up I did a proper jaw-drop when I caught sight of the green water and sand that looked like flour. I was greeted, relieved of my luggage and taken straight to my room within about five minutes and then shown the ropes pretty quickly. Rather than being stifled I was left to my own devices to come and go as I pleased and I still can't think of anywhere better to unwind.

If you're looking for the height of luxury, this isn't the place for you -- there are no TVs or modcons in the room, but then you don't come to somewhere as beautiful as Jambiani to sit inside air-conditioned walls where you could be anywhere in the world. You get up early to watch the women pick seaweed, wander out onto the sandbanks, try your hand at kite-surfing or go snorkelling, and in the evening settle down to the candlelit three-course menus.

Mark and Kristine are two of the most chilled out yet professional hotel owners I've come across and I travel A LOT. They are always on site if you need them for anything and make sure that everyone is happy all the time. The staff are so prompt, efficient, friendly and polite and they make the place a real joy to be in -- along with the monkeys who pop in every so often at breakfast.

I can't recommend it highly enough and will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Coming off a 10 day safari we were exhausted and so ready to relax in a real people beach home. We just loved the beach aspect with the huge expanse of white sand, constantly peopled with locals coming and going - the Masai on his bike, the kids soccer game every afternoon and the women and girls collecting from the sea.
Our room was all you want for a beach holiday in Zanzibar - don't go if you expect the Hilton! The staff were always friendly and helpful. The restaurant served basic but good food and we could enjoy wine. The tides were indeed very low and high so day swimming can be impossible but then it was fun to walk way out and watch the kite surfers at low tide. Also we were able to use the infinity pool at Coral Rock nearby hotel as well as eat there when we wanted a change.
The sunsets and sunrises were lovely photo opportunities and it was all so beautiful. Do go and you will love it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DrJanetHall
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here in September after visiting Jahazi Festival in Stonetown, which was a recommendation from Mark the owner of Red Monkey Lodge, thank you Mark for all those precious suggestions on our round trip of Tanzania and Zanzibar. And thank you and all the rest of your staff for a very pleasant stay at Red Monkey Lodge!
The location certainly was our best on Zanzibar, the beach is stunning, the water amazing, and sorry the lagoon, I miss words for this absolutely beautiful piece of earth. Swimming during low tide involves a walk on the sand bank, but enjoying the scenery is part of the fun. The beach in front of the hotel is public, but that way you get a chance to participate in local life. Our son definitely enjoyed playing soccer with everybody. And if we adults wanted a sun bed, there are some, and since the kiters usually were kiting, we always had enough space. This place doesn't really cater for all-inclusive guests, who want to enjoy their stay on the same sun bed every day and not really know where exactly they are spending their holidays. We liked being a part of it all, and we didn't have the impression that our privacy wasn't respected, we were GUESTS in a foreign country with different habits and traditions.
The rooms are basic but equipped with everything one needs, a wardrobe with enough space for three people traveling for more than three weeks, comfortable beds, mosquito nets and a bathroom with never ending hot water, we didn't waste it, but enjoyed it after sometimes freezing in the bush. The rooms were cleaned every day, everything was sparkling clean. What we really liked was the evening service, when you were having dinner, room service dropped by again and prepared the beds and the mosquito nets for the night, that is kind of like in a five star hotel. And dinner was fantastic too, a changing menu everyday, if portions weren't enough it was possible to get a second helping, everything fresh and delicious. Good food was offered all day long, it is possible to get your breakfast until dinnertime, although lunch is offered starting noon.
Free wifi makes life easier too, and if you need anything else to make life easy and comfortable, staff will gladly assist you. Great value for little money. By the way, still no ATMs anywhere on Zanzibar but in Stonetown... Essentials are available in Jambiani, and it's fun discovering this area of the island.
We really enjoyed our barefoot and lazy stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family