All reviews dogs and cats sea swimming kite school no hot water curries mainland tanzania unique place white sand pure relaxation recommend this place other resorts amazing food fresh fruit indian ocean pole pole stone town low tide
Reviewed February 12, 2018

We stayed at the Uhuru for roughly a fortnight in the first half of January 2018 and really loved it - for us it was the perfect beach retreat. We did not get one of the beach facing bungalows, as when we booked Ana (the owner) did not have any of those available anymore. Therefore she offered to host us in the so-called annex: Ana has rented two small appartments which are 200m down the beach. These appartments are not seafacing, but are more or less directly at the beach and have a wonderful small front garten. Taking a short walk to breakfast was actually an upside for us: It gave us the chance to get in contact with some of the locals and helped us to enlarge our area of operation faster.

The most impressive feature of the Uhuru must be the location: The water in the lagoon has an immaculate turquoise color and makes for an impressive combination with the beatiful beach. It's always windy at the beach, which is actually a good thing on sunny days (less so on cooler days) or if you are there for kite surfing.

Staff at the Uhuru was very friendly and always made an effort to make our stay comfortable. Ana apparently makes an effort to hire local people from the village of Jambiani, which is a good thing. There are also two locals (Gloria and Semeni), who offer massages on the premises.

In the end, you might ask yourself: Why not five stars then?

Because although we loved it, I can also see that a vacation at the Uhuru is not the right choice for everyone. If you need the abundant luxury of a five star all inclusive ressort, then the comfy, but plain, appartments might not be the right thing for you. If you want a breakfast buffet, then you might be disappointed by the breakfast served at the Uhuru, which is a lovely variety of fruit and your choice of eggs, pancakes or omelettes with bread and marmelade. The massages offered on site are a good example: Gloria and Semeni probably do not have the kind of training, massagers in Europe would have and they don't have a professional massaging chair. Thus the massage is less about actually treating a sore back, but more about just relaxing.

So to sum it up: If you want everything done by the book, then you might not enjoy the Uhuru (or Jambiani in general). But if you are looking for a location that is a little less crowded by tourists, is ideal for relaxing at the beach and has friendly staff, then the Uhuru might be just the thing for you.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher_AUT
Reviewed February 7, 2018

This is the perfect place for a chilled, relaxing, beach holiday. Sunrise walks with the resort dogs, swimming for hours in the crystal clear warm water, SUPping around the wooden fishing boats, a nap in the shade on one of the hammocks. Great, healthy food (that coconut tuna - OMG). Friendly resort cats. And general chilled vibes. Perfect if you are in a group, or, like I was, travelling solo.

The beach in Jambiani is the strangest in the world. The tide goes out for miles. You can always find a spot to swim though, and walking among the boats and seaweed farms is lovely. The thing to know about Uhuru is that is still has a beach when the tide is in, unlike some of the other resorts further along the coast. The little bay is charming, and you can literally spend the day watching the changing scenery and the fishermen as they arrive and leave.

The accommodation is absolutely perfect for a beach holiday where you just want to laze about in a bikini and slops all day.

Close by in the village are several mini markets, and check out Hamu for local food -- the chapattis are great, as well as the passion fruit and avo juice - try it.

Chat to the Masai strolling up and down the beach, pole pole shopping. And shop from them as the prices are half of those in Stone Town. Also most people are very keen to try out there English so you can have some great conversations.

It can be windy, but this is actually a good thing, as it cool things down. You can usually find a sheltered, sunny spot as well. In the week I was there the wind tended to pick up in the evening, and was never a problem for me.

Ana and her team are lovely and will hook you up with airport transfers and drivers for any excursions. But you might find it hard to actually leave Uhuru.

Buccaneer Diving has an office at Uhuru, and will transfer you to Paje where they launch from. If diving is your thing I highly recommend them as well.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2018

Best place I have been in my whole life - location is perfect, facilities are adequate to price, food in restaurant is amazing and staff in really nice.
The owner - Ana - is really friendly person, who wants to help her guests in almost everything. You have this nice, family feeling there and it helps to relaxed completly. I have been there two times already and I don't think that it enough.

There is also possibility to kite and dive there (kiteschool and very good diving center).

I will recomend it to all who like to spend both activ and "relaxed" holiday. Good food, seafront rooms, everyday roomservice, kiteschool and diving center, and really frendly and helpfull owner.

Room Tip: each room is sea front
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Lula M, Owner at Uhuru Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018

Thank you for such positive feedback we are happy you enjoyed your stay so much and you appreciate our family vibe ..welcome again anytime

Reviewed January 1, 2018

We hired 6 bungalows from 19th to 26th December and were extremely disappointed on arrival to find that several of the bungalows had no water, those that did had only cold water and one bungalow had a strong smell of sewers.
These problems could have been mitigated had Anna, the owner, explained that they were having water shortage problems and promised a solution in due course. Instead we were told that we were imagining the smell in the one bungalow, the cold water problem we later found was due to the staff switching off the individual bungalow immersion heaters, and by the end of our holiday 2 bungalows had had no water pressure at all and had to have daily 'showers' by using a cup and a bucket to pour cold water over themselves!
On one occasion our room key went missing and the staff were quick to accuse us of having lost it, only to find later that they had put it in the wrong place in reception!
I was going to rate this resort with a single star but have decided to give it 2 because Anna did, at least, offer me a discount on the two bungalows that had no water.
But our holiday had already been soured and we left with a bad taste in our mouths.
What a shame because this place could be perfect otherwise.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Noelmiddleton

I was disappointed and saddened when I read your unfair review. Your son booked the rooms for your group and in particular asked for our two super budget rooms that are outside of Uhuru. He was resident here and even came and looked at the rooms. When your group arrived we were shocked at the unpleasantness that myself and my team had to put up with. Two rooms walked out and said it wasn’t the standard they were used to. This was Xmas week and you were all in rooms heavily discounted. I found your behaviour extremely rude and full of entitlement. I did sit down and explained we were waiting on a water truck...which came a few hours later. The problem with the pressure pump was very unfortunate and as it was over the holiday period I could not replace it. You did have intermittent water in these two rooms which I reduced to half price. As you told me you had just come from a private island where your son got married prehapes we were not the right match after that and although when I explained everything to you and you and your wife’s response was TI A ....which you explained to me was ‘ This is Africa ‘ it’s such a pity then that you all didn’t except the short power cuts Which happen often here in Africa. Yes sometimes you have no water or electricity for a few hours during the day. To hear your group on arrival say we were just in paradise and now we are here was pretty spoilt and unbelievable. So Prehaps next time you are in Africa remember your little slogan and repeat to yourself TIA or go and stay in a five star which is more what your group expected.

Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

I chose this accommodation for my week alone on Zanzibar because they offer yoga classes every day. And i didn't regret it at all ;-) the resort is very nice and well maintained, my bungalow was huge. It's located directly at the beach, you have the resort owned beach beds, where you don't get harassed too much by the vendors at the beach.
The bar is well equipped and not to expensive, with in awesome view over the ocean.
The restaurant has an even better view, and the food is delicious.
Problems (well, there was only one when i was there) where handled immediately, and there was always a back-up solution.
The staff is nice.
Yoga classes where superb! Normally there are two classes a day one in the morning and one in the evening, do you can choose.
There are one or two ladies offering massage on the property of Uhuru, which are good value.
They can also organise all kind of trips and also diving. But as i didn't do any of these, i can't tell if they are good.
There are still no ATMs in Jambiani, so bring enough cash. You can pay also via paypal!
I would totally recommend this place - thumbs up :-D