“A wonderful place to relax and enjoy the sun”

Coral Rock Zanzibar
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Jambiani
Dublin, Ireland
“A wonderful place to relax and enjoy the sun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel. Having climbed Kilimanjaro and spent a few days on Safari we wanted a quiet place to rest and relax on the beach afterwards. Coral Rock was perfect and ticked all of the boxes for what we needed. The setting is wonderful- situated right on the water, yes there is seaweed out front (I have read the recent bad review and would not agree with it at all) and high tides but it didn't bother us at all. At high tide you can take a lovely walk along the beach and when the water comes in up to the hotel you can just walk left down the beach a bit and go for a swim there. It is a very natural environment and that is what I loved about it. You don't feel like you're in a man-made resort. Everyone knows each other and the staff are really nice. Breakfast was cereal, you could order a hot one, fresh juice (sooooo good) a range of drinks, coffee, tea etc, toast, fruit- what more could you ask for! I also loved the ice teas- delicious. The coffee is really good too.

The rooms are really great, clean, comfortable beds with the 'coral rock' throughout in the bathroom. We had a porch with chairs out front. The pool is great, small but you don't need much more and throughout the front of the hotel there is a hammock, beds, benches etc for relaxing on. There are also tables to eat outside. The restaurant has a large menu and everything we had was really good (I didn't eat too much having picked up a bug but from the little that I tasted was all fantastic). We didn't try any other restaurants because we simply were resting and didn't have the energy to venture too far. I thought the prices were reasonable as well.

There are watersports you can try but again we kept to ourselves and relaxed at the hotel. I loved sitting out front on the beds reading and feeling the warm breeze. It gets so hot in Zanzibar that the hotel is in a perfect location for a cool breeze.

The village itself is very small but again this is what we liked about Jambiani. When you walk up the beach you get the feeling you are in a very untouched part of the world - if you travel anywhere in Europe the beach is full of deck chairs whereas here, you have complete 'timeout.'

We got chatting to the manager quite a few times and told him how much we thought it was a great place and really untouched. We felt that the hotel was a complete gem in a part of Zanzibar which is not as developed as other parts. There is a kitesurfing centre next door but book ahead early as it's small. You can arrange a taxi with the hotel to neighbouring Paje which we did for kitesurfing. A few other members of staff, the owner Neil and (I have forgotten name now!) New Zealand guy were really helpful when we had a difficult situation with a taxi driver on our way back to Stone Town.

The hotel can arrange excursions for you and one I would recommend (we did this via stone town) was Blue Safari snorkelling on a dhow boat. We had a great time and you get a full fish lunch.

What else can I say? I thought it was really good value for money compared to similar resorts in Europe. I loved it and would return in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a place to relax, chill out, drink cool drinks, eat nice food and re charge your batteries then this is the place for you. It's fantastic!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynne360

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Coral Rock is jotted on a rock at the very outskirts of the sleepy village Jambiani.
There is basically no beach during high tide, and during low tide the so called beach is covered by a thick layer of stinking seaweed. To go to a decent beach, you will have to walk about 20 minutes away.
The hotel in itself is comprised by a dozen quite simple rooms, not very clean, and safe.
In our room, the safe wasn't working and the fridge in the room neither. When mentioning this to the "manager" he bluntly told me to get cold drinks from the bar (where a bottle of water cost 3$ (about 4 times as much as in the store down the road).
The transfer from Zanzibar town/airport takes about an hour by taxi. The hotel is trying to rip you off and charges you 60$. Personally, with rather limited bargaining skills, I managed to get one for 35$ from the airport.
At the hotel, there is nothing to do. A miniscule swimming pool and some filthy sunchairs is everything on offer. Or you can spend your time in the ridiculously overpriced hotel restaurant.

Breakfast is very basic but ok. I would strongly not recommend the restaurant, unless you prefer to pay European prices for slow and inefficient service. The service is nothing but a joke. Imagine having 20 Manuels working at the same time and there you go.
There are plenty of decent restaurant in the Jambiani village or along the beach for much better value. The only problem is that it's very pleasant to walk all the way back to Coral Rock after dark.

Avoid this hotel. Blue Oyster (who helped us arrange a transfer to DAR airport for a fraction of the cost) seems as a much better deal.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pcberlin1
JambianiNeil, Owner at Coral Rock Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for feedback and your custom. We're sorry to hear your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Hopefully we can address some of the issues you raised and provide some valuable info to interested parties in the process.
1) Fridge not working: We do not list or advertise fridges as a feature of any room, we do provide them upon request should specific needs arise (for example need to chill store medicines). Mineral water dispensers are provided in superior rooms providing free hot and cold water and reducing plastic water bottle waste. We are hoping to roll these out into the standard rooms at some point in 2014 to promote better environmental responsibility. We do offer our guests the possibility of keeping their drinks cold in the fridges at the bar and it is possible that when a staff member offered you this option it may have been misheard.
2) Regarding the seaweed on the beach: This is actually sea-grass and what I can tell you is that if conditions were like that all the time we’d not have been in business for over 20 years. On our website, under the "information" section, there is a page entitled “what to expect”, which provides transparent & comprehensive info on the possible effects the annual trade-winds can have on weather (specifically wind), the beach and the environment overall. Your review mentions a 20 minute walk to the nearest clean beach, I am only assuming you mention this and took photographs only of our north beach, if you did not venture to our south beach (accessible by stairs behind the restaurant). We can confirm that there was no seaweed covering this beach at all during that period. This beach is less than 2 minutes’ walk from any point of the hotel.
3) Activities: Once again I will refer to our website which lists a number of activities on offer. For most people the whole point of coming to Coral Rock is to relax and do nothing, but we also offer some of best snorkelling & diving conditions you can get, free kayaking and windsurfing for our guests, we have a Kite School within 2 minutes’ walk from the hotel and one of the best locations for this sport in the world. We offer live entertainment and music 3 to 4 times a month. Free wi-fi throughout the hotel, Satellite sports on request in the bar. We can arrange bicycle and motor-bike/vespa hire. Sailing by dhow and a bunch of other activities and excursions all easily accessible from Coral Rock.
4) Cost of a bottle of water at the hotel: We’ve explained in a previous review response why this would be higher than a local shop, people tend to forget that we offer ice, lemon, glasses, waiter service, wi-fi, seating, refrigeration, music, credit card facilities and we pay tax, VAT, electricity etc, adding all these things up you may find that we make less profit on a bottle of water than a local guy selling water out of a small stone structure in the village. I’d also advise people check the bottles are still properly sealed in case of bottles being filled up from water other than what may be on the label (this is rare, but it has happened).
5) Safe not working: We are aware of one safe not working in December and because there is no possibility to repair or purchase these in Zanzibar we have to order new ones and wait a few days before we can replace them. When this happens we do have a couple of house safes that we make available to guests should they choose to make use thereof.
6) Restaurant prices and wait: Yes we are more expensive than local eateries for many reasons (much in line with what we mention regarding bottled water). As for the wait, we made a conscious decision to offer a large menu to cater for the fact that many of our guests stay for up to 2 weeks and many visitors come to eat with us because we offer diversity and choice. Return guests and visitors know they can get what they want or have had before and that’s not that common in these parts. We also decided that all food should be prepared fresh, from scratch, no short-cuts, that decision was made easier considering the fact that people staying or visiting are seldom in any real rush. We do offer the option for people to order and specify a time they’d like to eat in advance. Therefore we opt for slow food, a la carte menu (not buffet * unless on special occasions) with lots of choice and comparatively high degrees of item availability. This has worked for us well for many years now and this is unlikely to change anytime soon.
7) Transfers prices: We have covered this in detail in a recent review response. We advise many guests on transport options available to them. There are many reasons for the rate we charge for transfers. It’s not a sustainable business practise to “rip people” off, if that were indeed the case no one would be booking transfers with us after all these years. We can also inform you that there have been guests that have experienced some serious issues opting for cut-price transport. We value safety over savings when it comes to transporting our guests.
8) You mention a competitor would be better to stay with, yet you mention you did not stay at that hotel which is somewhat confusing for us and impossible to answer to. We also saw you reviewed their restaurant and rated it lower than you have rated us. You mention they transferred you to Dar airport (not Zanzibar airport as per our transfer offer). To get to Dar airport from Jambiani would involve a flight or ferry booking, therefore we can only assume this part of your review was in error; if not we submit that these transfers could not be reasonably compared.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband surprised me with a honeymoon in Zanzibar, and with our stay at the Coral Rock Hotel. I have to say coming from South Africa it is a very convenient flight on Mango air direct. We were thrilled to step into paradise. The hospitality of the hotel staff was lovely, were we're greeted with smiles and all our requests were met with enthusiasm. Our room was lovely with breathtaking views of the ocean and roof access to our own deck chairs. It was kept nice and clean and we had fresh flowers every day. We made a lot of friends, I made my husband promise to bring me back every year. Lots of sundowners in the swimming pool make for an epic getaway. Paradise..... :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet G
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Having headed out as a DJ for one of the crazy parties they throw every now & then, I was first awed by the breathtaking views... once settled in, I realized all the service staff were the most polite folk I have met in days while staying at a hotel.
Doesn't end there, the management makes all their guests feel at home.
The room I was in was lovely.
The fooooood.... *sigh*... I need to go back!! The burger, the pasta, the fish curry, the steak, the prawns.... and the list goes on... the food is simply to die for!!
Despite their website warning of the possibility to experience an erratic electricity supply, the 4 days I was there had not a single blackout despite there being a rationing schedule in place on the mainland!
I will definitely be going back for a holiday!!
Keep up the good work folks!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Splendid view - especially by the full moon. Tasty margaritas. Wifi spot. Good dancing music. NIce mixture of people: tourists, hotel owners, construction workers, white collars, Masai. A bit difficult to find, but definetly worth a try!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Mzuzu, Malawi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was there as a Dj for the third annual Zanzibar Beach and watersports festival that is one of the highlights about my trip to Coral Rock Hotel and is actually planned by the Coral Rock Hotel in partnership with a host of other hotels and stakeholders on that side of the island. I had a really good time and the whole festival had some serious positive vibration. The hotel is brilliant!! I had food commas after every meal and especially the seafood is great for seafood lovers!! The service is also amazing as is the rooms and the bar closes in good timing for everyone who wants to have their peaceful sleep. I loved sleeping right in front of the sea and next to their amazing infinity pool. Room Number 4!! I can't forget that, plus it had a patio facing the seascape! Man! I can't wait to be back to Coral Rock, Jambiani's pearl!!

• Stayed September 2013
Townsville, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days and must admit that this place could do with some attention. It really has the potential to be a lovely little place if some money was spent on an upgrade and general maintenance. For example the mosquito nets on the beds were very grubby and when I opened the window in our room the entire thing fell onto the ground (hinges were not secured). The small gardens could be beautiful too. I got the feeling that management were a little too laid back and could not be bothered with attention to detail. Very unfortunate as Coral Rock has a glorious setting. We spent a couple of nights in Stone Town after Coral Rock and for just a little more money got much better service, food and accommodation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beaus646
JambianiNeil, Owner at Coral Rock Zanzibar, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thanks for your feedback and custom. We hear you loud and clear and we agree. Generally we are only able to get stuck into major upgrades and renovations in late November early December and in March and April as occupancy is too high at other times. high occupancy and extreme environmental exposure is a constant challenge to us (think rust, salt water in the gardens etc). Accordingly, we have just allocated the largest ever budget to upgrades due to take place in early December 2013. We have also taken the decision to hire a new maintenance manager after feedback indicates a slackening in this area. We are confident we'll be able to sort out the majority of issues before the upcoming peak season.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jambiani
Zanzest Beach Bungalows
Spice Island Hotel Resort Zanzibar
Chwaka Bay Resort
Chwaka Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Chwaka

Been to Coral Rock Zanzibar? Share your experiences!