We were extremely disappointed by our stay at Fairy Tale Villas, especially given all the good reviews I found on TripAdvisor and the Lonely Planet endorsement, which I do not understand.
In a word, I would recommend to stay away from this hotel - there are a lot of better hotels in Jambiani (including some cheaper options!).
Here are the main issues we encountered:
- Hotel is NOT on the beach - most other hotels are (including cheaper hotels)
- Shared bathrooms: 2 bathrooms for 3 rooms. Only one bathroom has hot water. The tap was disgusting - covered by rust. Another guest had left his laundry and belongings in the bathroom. It felt like a hostel (but at hotel prices). You will not have much privacy in this hotel.
- Holes in mosquito nets (on windows): mosquitoes and ants were getting into the room
- Terrible mattresses: we hardly slept
- No air conditioning, no ceiling fans
- Tiny parking: it took us 15 minutes to get out of the property
We had booked 3 nights and the manager was kind enough to let us cancel the remaining 2 nights at no cost, which we really appreciated. He was clearly the best part of the hotel - friendly, welcoming and accommodating. It is unfortunate that the property he is managing is so run down.
Note however that Jambiani is an amazing village, with few tourists, and a lot of great hotels and restaurants. The warm and turquoise waters, dotted with fishing dhows, will be hard to forget. I highly recommend a stay in Jambiani - just stay elsewhere.
- Also Known As:
- Fairytale Villa & Guesthouse Zanzibar Island/Jambiani