“Such a friendly team”

Black Leopard Camp
Poole, United Kingdom
“Such a friendly team”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We spent 7 nights in total here on the 2 week safari trip arranged through On Track Safaris. The tents are very comfortable and we particularly appreciated our hot water bottles every night which made the beds really cosy! The camp is in such an amazing place within Thabo Tholo reserve and from the beginning we felt welcomed by everyone we met at Black Leopard. Mike shared his amazing knowledge of the wildlife and bird life with us and Karen worked hard to really make us feel at home. Thanks too to Alan and Lyn. We have so many memories probably top of which is a close viewing of a leopard with a kill on our first evening! What made it so special was being able to spend time watching the behaviour of the birds and animals and to learn about the tracking of leopards.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lanseria, South Africa
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Black leopard camp is situated in a beautiful picturesque part of Mpumalanga. The tented camp is right next to a massive cliff-faced mountain with a small stream and rock pools below the stilted decks on which the tents have been setup. The scenery and birding is fantastic albeit the game and especially the leopard are very elusive.

We stayed for four nights at Black Leopard camp in July 2012 and I traveled with my wife, my six-month and four year old sons and their Nana. The family tents are fantastic and although they don't allow the children on game drives we were fortunate enough to have the whole place to ourselves for three of the days so they made an exception on one drive which made my four years old son's weekend. I also took him down to the rock pools which was great fun and although it was too cold to swim this will be somewhere I return for a dip should we stay there again in summer.

My only gripes were the poor food for lunch and the noise from the construction. Lunches are re-hashed leftovers which is unacceptable when paying R880pp per day. Alan was fantastic however and when my wife made it known that we were not happy about these things he immediately sorted it out. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Swissfly
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at Black Leopard during the winter of 2012 - only 3 hours by car from Johannesburg.

When we arrived, we were treated to a game drive of about 1 1/12 hours from the pick up point to the lodge. We arrived a bit late because of traffic getting out of the city on a Friday afternoon, and so we ended up having a bit of a night game drive, which was great!

The food the whole weekend was amazing, and the accomodation cosy and clean. The hosts, Mike and Karen are very good and Mike knows so much about wildlife, which is very informative on the game drives he took us on. We spent a LOT of time on the game drive vehicle for the weekend, and were rewarded on the Saturday afternoon with a rare leopard spotting, which was a real treat.

The price is good value for money compared to many other game lodges in South Africa, especially given the amount of time we got to spend on game drives.

If you dont want to go on game drives, the tented camps allow a nice opportunity to bask in the sun and read a book on the deck, or run a hot bath in the outdoor bath and relax.

A great weekend all in all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jono_traveller
n. vancouver
Reviewed June 16, 2012

It was so seamless! In October 2011 I had a most amazing adventure starting and ending at Black Leopard Camp! On the first night, I felt surprisingly comfortable in such a luxurious en suited tent! It was up the hill overlooking a stunning rock escarpment! I have to admit after an eventful day arriving from overseas, being picked at Tambo Airport to arrive at BLCamp many hours later, I was very tired! Everyone here welcomed me with warmth and genuine hospitality! The drive into Thabo Tholo [as others have mentioned] is beautifully scenic and rich with animals and flora! By myself, I had to laugh as I lay down in this huge tent between deliciously luxurious sheets at the fact that here I was in the S.African Bush by myself surrounded by the sounds of insects and wildlife and...maybe Leopards close by!!! Oh my...I was so excited, but I wasn't so scared! Well, maybe just a bit! Very early every morning I would wake with the noisy orchestra of so many songbirds and the welcome delivery by Julius, of fresh milk and hot water for tea! Hot tea out on the deck was heaven on earth! It was especially wonderful on the day that I heard the the sound of a breaking twig just across the way! There above the drainage line I spotted the glimpse of the elusive leopard! Woo hoo! So lucky! I spent fun days with Emma and Anton, both leopard researchers with the Ingwe leopard Project and Esmarie she was assisting for one month with Ingwe Leopard Project. All the meals were great= breakfast, afternoon, snacks and dinners were prepared with care using fresh and high quality ingredients! Food was so delicious indeed it was 5 Star!!! It was so appetizing I ate more than I needed to! During the days we went on game drives morning and evening seeing so many birds,mammals,insects,reptiles ,trees, plants, tracks, spoor even a rock python and gigantic locusts also lots of ancient petroglyphs ! I really liked seeing all the animals! One evening after hearing the impala alarm calls we ran about trying to track the spotted predator almost giving up but then we saw the playful cub!!! It led us to see the mom Diamond with her other 2 cubs! What a treat! I did leave to go on safari in the Sabi Sands for one week! But that is another story! Upon my return to BLC the remaining idyllic days passed so quickly! We hiked and checked the monitoring cameras, collected pictures taken the night before on the cameras, had picnics enjoyed sun downers! On one of the nights we slept under the stars in a hammock by the campfire! It was very warm and exciting! I shall always remember the meteor showers! All night shooting stars whizzed across the South African sky! Wow! There was a terrific electrical storm, thunder, lightning, the rain poured on the last night I was at BLC. Mike turned the music up, everyone, that is all the guests at BLC that wanted to, danced til the wee hours! It was surreal! It is a trip to treasure! Thank you Kerrie, Mike and all BLC staff! I loved it you treated me like family!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank mikkamom
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The setting is fantastic, you can't help but leave all the day to day rubbish behind and indulge yourself in the beautiful scenes and wildlife experience. What Mike doesn't know about the animals, birds, trees, even insects isn't worth knowing, I've felt such a thirst to learn and really felt that I came away with some knowledge about the true African wildlife. Mike together with Karen are great hosts, I haven't laughed so much or indeed ate so much for a long time.... We also went in May/June, don't be afraid to go out of the main season, we had glorious sunny days, it was ideal fro animal spotting and although the nights can be a bit chilly the beds were warm, it was cosy around the fire place and it added to the complete atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phil T
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Great location, a million miles form civilisation. Hosts were amazing and very accommodating. Good for families, even better for couples!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dean T
Pretoria
Reviewed April 7, 2012

From the moment Mike fetched us at the gate we were in a very special wilderness area an could not help to relax. The luxury tents are situated in the most beautiful setting with a superb view on the mountains and down on a small waterfall and stream underneath huge trees. Mike and Karen are excellent hosts. Tara who is involved in the leopard project entertained us with her knowledge and love for nature. An experience we will always remember. Mac, Rine Ane van der Merwe and Anthe Rautenbach

Room Tip: Trekker is superb.