We have just returned from a three week trip to South Africa, and this lodge was one of the highlights. From the moment we saw it in the setting of the rocks above the dirt road, we knew we were in for a different experience, and we were not disappointed. The genuinely warm welcome ( with cooling drink ready on arrival ) , the excellently appointed room, and the VIEW !. What a view from the bedroom and private balcony - to wake up and see Islandwana mountain and the plain on which it sits without having to get out of bed ! All the staff were very friendly and tried their best to teach us some Zulu - especially Dalton - 'ngiyabonga'. A most memorable day spent with Rob Gerrard, resident historian, was outstanding. He is a remarkable storyteller in the best oral tradition , bringing to life those awful battles at Islandwana and Roukes Drift. He also specialises in the Boer Wars which we hope to return to experience.
The food was to a high standard, well presented and served. The conference room contains a small TV with DVD and VHS recorders - we spent our first night brushing up on 'Zulu Dawn' . The only minor comment I would make for other travellers is that our room did not have a fridge, (which I would probably have turned off as I never like the noise they make at night)
This lodge deserves better recognition as it is an exceptional experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Isandlwana Lodge offers twelve luxury rooms all en-suite and tastefully decorated in a mixture of traditional and modern styles. The Lodge is carved into the iNyoni rock formation on top of which the Zulu commander stood during the battle of Isandlwana on 22 January 1879. Enjoy unparalleled views from the crisp early light of a sparkling Zulu dawn to the splendor of the African sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and South African Hotels so you can book your Isandlwana Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isandlwana Hotel Isandlwana
- Isandlwana Lodge KwaZulu-Natal