“Great meat, old-time surrounds”
Review of Vlado's

Vlado's
Ranked #18 of 355 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Firstly, let me say that I love meat so I found the food was fantastic! We were presented with a set menu consisting of:
* Appetiser: beef & pork sausage (yummy)
* Entree: mixed grill - calf liver (not a fan), pork (tasteless), filet mignon (yummy), mini hamburger (yummy)
* Main: I selected the eye fillet cooked medium. It was fantastic. Cooked perfectly, cut like butter, and melted in the mouth.
* Desert: pancakes with ice cream and strawberries. Basic, but yummy

Pros: great meat cooked perfectly, house mustard
Cons: decor which is stuck in the 60's, basic coleslaw as a salad with no other vegetables or sides.

I've always wanted to go to Vlado's and now I have. I don't think I'll return as even though the meat was fantastic, I can get the same quality elsewhere with better decor, and a selection of salads, vegetables, chips, and sauces.

If all you want is meat, this is the place!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I first ate at Vlado's in 1976, it was great then and is great now - has not changed its menu because it has no need to - it is top flight.
Superb quality meat prepared perfectly and cooked over coals perfectly.
Unobtrusive waiter service but the waiters were at the table just as we needed them.
The venue is small, the entrance is small and reminded me of an old time speak easy you see in the movies. There seems to be a tardis effect, plenty of tables in a small area but we did not feel uncomfortable. Vlado's definitely remains one of Melbourne's treasures.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Their steak is great - undoubtably. Service is fine but we had a terrible terrible table. It was embarrassing because we were entertaining international guests. It was impossible for this to have no impact on our evening.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've visited Vlado's only once, but next time in Melbourne that's where I'm going or dinner. I've had steaks in Texas, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, Sweden (and in lots of less meat-centric places) and Vlado's served me the best steak so far in my life.

We had some lamb chops, mini burgers and port chops for appetizer and then I had a massive cut of tenderloin, cooked to perfection. I could almost cut the meat with my fork and the color and taste was just utterly perfect.

We shared a small but adequate table and I especially liked the shared salad bowl and the fact that only the salad and a single bread roll were competing with the meat for my attention. No potatoes to be seen (probably possible to order, but why eat anything other than meat here.).

This is, in my book, the place to go for a serious steak.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Vlado has passed away but his reputation lives on.
Simple, really well grilled meat.
Special, real, unpretentious.
Great place to meet good mates at least once a year.