“Great food but slow service”
Review of Church St Enoteca - CLOSED

Church St Enoteca
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went for a late lunch and the restaurant was reasonably busy when we arrived at 2pm. The food was excellent including the carne cruda, an Italian take on steak tartare and especially the daily special risotto containing crabmeat and peas. The entrees came reasonably quickly but we had to wait ages for the mains despite there being very few other diners left in the restaurant. The staff seemed to be more interested in conversing with each other than providing service hence the 3 rating. The food warranted 4 and the service 2.

2  Thank EamonV

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Lunchtime fixed price menu is excellent value at this Richmond institution. $29.50 for two corses, $35.90 for three, including a glass of Italian wine - the three choices for each course somehow manage to cater for most tastes, though there are lots of other options from the pricier a la carte menu if the lunch special doesn't suit.

2  Thank JP947
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Food is good. Had the Terrine and fish stew. Husband had risotto and veal. Both entrees and mains came out quickly. But service from floor staff was slightly on the slow side. Annoys me when you finish your drink and they still take 5 mins to ask you if you want more. They should be more on top of things. Pet hate of mine... And I admit I am being Pedantic... Is when they give you a dessert menu and then leave you for 10 mins. By the time they came to take our order I was off the idea. Having said all that the food is good and not too $$$. Plus we do live 5 mins away so very easy to get to.

1  Thank Alimcl
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I visited this restaurant in May 2012 with my wife and two other friends.

We all loved the food and wines...all the meals and wines met our expectations - albeit a little more expensive than we thought it may be. The ambience and service was also excellent. The staff were all smiles and could not do enough to please.

If you are looking for a restaurant to go to for a special occasion together with experiencing an 'up-market' first class experience, this restaurant is highly recommended - but it does come at a high cost. Both food and wine were of high quality and were reasonably expensive, but not over priced.

All four of us ordered the Rib Eye for 2 at a cost of A$90. The quality of the meat was excellent...nice and tender, however there was a little too much fat on the Rib Eye portion for my likes. This meant that there was plenty of excess (fat and bone) left on the plate that I could not eat. If the portion of meat had been trimmed of excess fat, I would have given the meal an 'excellent' rating.

The restaurant is recommended to those people who are seeking something special and don't mind the higher cost.

1  Thank GazzaGlenIris_Vic
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The ambience & service were great, for food value , not good. i ordered Blue Eye and received the smallest portion of fish I have ever eaten,probably about 100grams or the size of a small packet of cigarettes for $38, it was overcooked and quite tasteless.. Question, why are the entrees about the same size as mains? Establishments like this need to realise that the purpose of feeding people is exactly that , to be fed ,not to leave a restaurant hungry.
About time restaurants were more transparent as to what (size) you will be receiving. As for the Suckling Pig - 3 very small medallions of meat (about 2 mouthfulls) I would definately not recommend this establishment as it represents poor food value

1  Thank jezzaMelbourne