“Great Place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Richmond
England
“Great Place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2008

We stayed at the Richmond Hill Hotel for 6 nights and it was a lovely place. The lady in Reception was lovely and very helpful. Although not in the city centre there is a train station about a 10 minute walk that takes you straight in to the city or like us you can walk along the river which is a lovely walk. The breakfast was included in the price and was a normal breakfast buffet (toast, fruit, yoghurt etc. I would definatly go back.

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing I didnt like.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Isle of Skye
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2008

Great hotel. I had arrived early off the Tassie Ferry and was allowed to leave my luggage at the hotel and was provided with a well furnished room by 1030hrs.
It was a fair walk into Melbourne city centre but an enjoyable one.
Breakfast was good.
There are plenty of restaurants of various nationalities within easy walk of the hotel.
Like most Australian hotels the staff were friendly and helpfull

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Skyelander174
Traralgon, Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

I was a game show contestant, and needed someplace to stay that was close to the studio (to save a long, early morning drive). The closest hotel I found on Wotif.com was the Richmond Hill. I booked the day before my stay.

Upon arrival, check-in was swift and professional. I was led to my room, number 107, by the clerk. As we went down a few steps, it appeared that my room was partially subterranean (though it had big windows, so it wasn't too dark).

There are several different kinds of rooms in the hotel. Some use shared bathrooms, but I wanted my own shower and toilet so I booked an ensuite room with a double bed.

The room was on an outside wall, which was solid brick (painted white) and COLD. In fact, the room was like a refrigerator when we entered it from the nice, warm corridor (which had a nice, old-fashioned cast iron radiator). My room didn't have any heating fitted. All that was provided was one of those small oil-filled heaters, and it had to be turned on. As it ended up, it took about 5 hours until the room was sufficiently warm to remove my coat. I left the thing running overnight because I was afraid I'd wake up to a freezing cold room (the outside temperature was around 0 degrees C).

The room had a small but adequate TV, a bar fridge under the desk, and an electric kettle for making tea or instant coffee. I wanted to make a cup of tea while watching TV but had to unplug the TV to do so, and I solved that dilemma by making the tea during the commercial.

Furnishings were plain but in good order.

There was an ensuite bathroom on the room, and it was clean and modern. It was long and narrow, but quite adequate, with the sink in front of the door as you entered, the toilet to the left, and the shower to the right. The whole bathroom was the width of the shower stall. There were no shelves or storage spaces in the bathroom to put things you needed to use (like makeup), and no hair dryer . If the TV station's makeup and hair people weren't doing it all for me later that morning, I would've been annoyed. But on this occasion, I wasn't.

The bed was OK, not lumpy or anything like that. It was made up with crisp, white sheets.

I did have some difficulty getting to sleep initially because the bathroom for the room next door backed onto the wall where my bed's headboard was. I kept hearing a man using the toilet right behind my head, and the sound of water hitting water came through LOUD and CLEAR. Once I fell asleep, I didn't notice it anymore.

My tariff included "continental breakfast", which was served buffet-style in the dining room. I made myself some toast from the bread I chose, had a cuppa, and enjoyed it very much. Kudos for the lovely breakfast.

Would I stay at the Richmond Hill again? Sure, why not? - if I had business in Richmond again, that is. I would, however, ensure that I had a heated room.

My husband said I should've rung the front desk to complain about the cold, but I figured they'd probably bring me another heater, and if I wanted to plug it in, I'd have to forego TV. And those little oil-filled things take ages to warm up a room (I was considering buying one for a chilly room in my house, but now I'm not).

• Liked — I liked its proximity to where I needed to go.
  • Disliked — The lack of instaled heating in the room made it uncomfortable.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AxellaJ
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2007

The hotel offers a great variety of rooms from dorms, twins without facilities through to proper motel style rooms. Even though they were booked out, the property was always pretty quiet although it is an old building so creaky floorboards and doors may bother you. Breakfast is held in the lounge which is lovely and it’s also the perfect place to sit in the afternoon with a complimentary cuppa and read the complimentary newspapers and magazines. There's a small bar, laundry facilities, one computer for internet access and a communal lounge area.

It’s well located with trams running along Church St to Prahran and others running along Swan St (1 mins walk) which will take you straight into the City. Plus it’s about 4 mins walk from Bridge Rd shopping which has 100s of designer and factory outlet stores.

We paid $110 single/$128 double with ensuite and asked to ensure it had either a queen or king size bed as some rooms contain double beds only. Our first king bed was actually two single mattresses zipped together and whilst one was firm, the other was sunken which meant I kept rolling into centre of one mattress! After speaking to the Manager he was kind enough to move us to a room with a normal Queen sized bed and we slept soundly from then on. I had a number of friends staying and saw a variety of rooms - all were very clean and the ones with ensuites were modern. Be aware that some ensuites are quite small such as the one in Room 33 and it’s a bit of a tight fit to sit on the toilet! So if you're a little broad around the beam (i.e. you have bum that’s bigger than size 14) you may need to request an ensuite to fit your curvaceous booty :-)

• Liked — Its proximity to Swan St and Bridge Rd
  • Disliked — Small ensuite
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juzz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Chapel Street
Central Business District
City Centre Budget Hotel
City Centre Budget Hotel
#111 of 158 in Melbourne

Been to Richmond Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!