“fabulous location, friendly folk, great value”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed with my young daughter and found the accommodation was great. Perfect for our needs. At $139 for a twin ensuite room, including b'fast and free parking, I couldn't fault it. Located between Bridge and Swan Streets, lots of dining options within a short walk. Rooms were all we needed - comfy beds, kettle, small fridge, ceiling fan, quality reading lights - and very clean. Lots of storage in the bathroom area. Yes, an older style property so 'a bit of a rabbit warren', and up and down stairs to our room, but that added to the charm. Thick walls meant road noise for us wasn't a bother. Breakfast was fabulous - yummy porridge, an array of preserved fruits, great selection of breads and jams, quality tea etc. Friendly staff who were most helpful.
Would recommend it to others who are after something 'not too flash' but certainly not dodgy.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 22, 2012

If you are looking for well located budget accomodation in Melbourne, you cant go past this hotel. The rooms are plain, basic but comfortable and importantly, very clean. The bed is comfortable, pillows average and towels are the small kind. There are no hairdryers, irons or ironing boards in the rooms but when I called down to reception, a hair dryer was delivered to my room before I could blink! There are also communal ironing rooms/laundry.

It is a large rambling building with a very pretty facade with endless corridors and some stairs so it does take a little time to find your way around. There is also some free off-street parking but of you miss out on those spots you can park on the side of Church Street opposite the hotel where there are no meters/time limits. So few inner city hotels have free parking so this is a big plus as I drive in from the country.

The staff are great -- very friendly and better service than you get in most 4+ stars.

Breakfast is served in a large room that spills out on to the attractive ground floor terrace. It's a very generous continental breakfast with cereals, juice, tinned fruit, a selection of bread for toast, waffles, tea and coffee. There is a choice of spreads and if you look carefully, you will find a treasure like Yackandandah Raspberry jam. Yumm!

Location is great with a tram stop almost outside. On this tram you can go south to trendy Chapel Street or north to bridge road for outlet shopping or a few minutes further north, Victoria Street - home to a gazillion Vietnamese restaurants and food stores. I walked a few minutes down the hill and had a lovely dinner in a French restaurant in Swan Street. On Swan Street you can also catch a tram direct to the heart of the city - only about 10 minutes away.

I thought it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the property if you are sensitive to traffic noise - Church Street is...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have just stayed here for 2 nights with other family members altogether we had 6 rooms of varying prices. We found it to be basic but clean, breakfast helped make the price reasonable. Pity it is such a rabbit warren, but okay after you learnt which way to go.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is a nice place to stay while in Melbourne. Located in a good spot in Richmond, close to MCG etc. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Last time I had a single room which was small but fine. Another time I booked a double room which had a nice little balcony you could sit out on. The toilets and showers are separate from the room but there is plenty of them. I have always been running late in the morning so haven't tried the breakfast yet!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Thank you to the staff at Richmond Hill Hotel, who went out of their way to accomodate me on my arrival to Melbourne. Not only were they were able to meet my cheeky request of early check in following an international flight from LA (and dior need of sleep!), but they took extra care to place me in a room in the back of the hotel very peace and quiet. Then they repeatedly locked and unlocked the luggage closet so that I could retrieve bits and pieces from my 4 giant bags, all with smiles on their faces!
The hotel is very basic, but clean and adequate for budget travelers. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, with a giant spread of hot/cold cereal, muffins, toast, yogurt and juices/coffee. The staff are so friendly and address you by name as often as possible. They also clued me in to the funky area, with Swan st and Bridge Rd just around the corner and the convenience of a tram running right past the hotel. Don't pass this place up if you're in Melbourne for a while.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank expatAmy
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The hotel is very conveniently located. Our room was clean, simply furnished and adequate without being anything special. It does have a Fawlty Towers feel, but the staff were helpful and friendly. I even had my wallet returned at the end of the day after I dropped it in the corridor in the morning.

The public areas of the hotel are nice, as was the breakfast.

Room Tip: Check in early
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

What a gem! This hotel has quite a variety of accommodations so if you choose correctly you should feel that you get real value for the amt you want to spend. Being a native Melbourne gal I know Melb can be very pricey. We wanted to be close to the City and close to Richmond with its wonderful cafes, restaurants and shopping. Richmond is so close to the City by either train or tram and also easy to get to the famous St Kilda Beach. Great area for walking - beautiful historic homes and buildings and some nice views, plus you have a choice of so many different cuisines and great shopping right on your doorstep. We selected a balcony room with shared bathroom (just down the hallway there were mens and womens rooms each with a number of toilets, showers etc. I never had to wait to shower. ) Our room while small had a lovely small balcony that allowed us to take in the street views and breezes. Our room was very comfortable and had a fridge as well as tea and coffee facilities, TV and double doors to the balcony. I would recommend either a balcony room or one with an ensuite but there are rooms to suit all travellers and there were quite a few travellers there - business men and women as well as leisure travellers; young and old; family groups. There is a small fee for the internet station (not sure if they had wifi) and the front office staff are very friendly and helpful w plenty of advice, maps and tourist brochures. They have a small bar that looked wonderful and we did buy a drink or two to share. The ground floor is magnificent with a wide stairway leading to the upper floor. Breakfast is held here in the huge dining room as well as the sitting room and fire being available AND outdoor cafe style seating. These areas are huge and very beautiful and inviting. There is also a shaded front garden (with fountain) to relax in and a back garden area - I said this place is huge - yet you won't feel like you are crowded or overwhelmed. We were there just before Grand Prix and the place was fully booked up months and months ahead for that event - and I can see why! If you want a large 5 star modern hotel this is prob not for you but if you want the charm of an historic building with a location that cannot be beaten, lovely gardens and sitting rooms to relax in PLUS included breakfast and papers to read - then I highly recommend this hotel. One tip - I did not see a hairdryer (I am fussy and bring my own) or hair shampoo/conditioner (again I never use those hotel ones anyway). Great welcoming place to stay and great value for money with many different choices of accoms. There is no pool and I don't think there is a-c - best to check if you feel the heat. Was 70s when we were there and we were comfortably cool in the day and warm at night.

Room Tip: Balcony room for views and private outdoor seats
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Comfort Hotel East Melbourne
Magnolia Court Boutique
#148 of 162 in Melbourne
Mantra on Jolimont
#96 of 162 in Melbourne

Been to Richmond Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!