“Perfetto!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Unplanned first visit to Mazzitelli last night for anniversary celebration and had a superb night!
We live "around the corner" from Jason Jones' cafe - Porgie and Mr Jones in Hawthorn East so knew of the restaurant but just hadn't visited yet! Restaurant section was fully booked so we started in the bar area with a drink with the intention of moving to a nearby restaurant where we had a booking. After about 5 minutes and a glance at the menu, we decided to ditch the prior booking elsewhere and settle in for the night and what a night it was!
We drank Prosecco all night and took on board the excellent wait staff's recommendations.
The decor is great, music, lighting, italian goodies at the counter. The staff were attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming! We visited Europe in July last year and this dining experience brought back memories of all we loved of Venice and Rome!
We adore our food and I bake sweet treats for cafes and the food at Mazzitelli did not disappoint!
The bread and oil was tasty and fresh and the olives, superb. We shared the calamari and it was tender, well dressed, seasoned and fresh. We also shared a special of proscuitto wrapped figs with goats cheese and walnuts and it was faultless, flavoursome and beautifully balanced. I had the tuna for main and it was accompanied by vegetables and it was "spring on a plate". My husband had the parmesan crusted veal and coleslaw and it was perfect.
Onto desserts - tiramisu was full of flavour and fresh. Semifreddo was good but needed the "hot chocolate sauce" I requested due to searching the menu for a special chocolate dessert that didn't feature!!! The waiter was happy to provide a solution on request with the hot sauce that elevated my dessert to anniversary requirements!
Coffee was "bang on" - we had 2 each. Cappuccino's and espressos!... and more prosecco....
The only thing missing with the coffee was a couple of pieces of italian fruit and nut biscotti (I have mastered this incredible sweet delight after sampling some in Rome at a little deli just near the Trevi Fountain!... fortunately I had baked some yesterday afternoon and had some with another cup of coffee on my arrival home!.. perhaps Mr Jones and Partner would like me to make these little slices of Italy to accompany the coffee at his divine "slice of Italy" in Richmond?).

We will be back! Thank you to all staff for a great night and to Mr Jones and business partner... thank you for creating our new favourite restaurant (longstanding we think!) so close to home!
Bellissimo!

1  Thank Saremo
There are newer reviews for Mazzitelli

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner? Yep, Mazzitelli has something for every part of the day. Good coffee, good drinks list and amazing food!! Best risotto I've had in Melbourne!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had the Mattiteli breakfast, coked perfectly, fresh ingriedients. Staff Italian girl maybe, very good. Knocked over coffee no fuss. Pastries pretty good. Coffee must be good as lots of locals popping in. My was very good, but Ne Zealand coffee best in world!

1  Thank 1JayB
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is almost embarrassing; started as just a morning coffee, it was so good we returned for lunch, we wanted more! With a risk of being considered possible stalkers, we returned again for dinner! Cafe style with bright happy and very helpful staff. Food is mostly an Italian influence but modern beautiful flavours and textures. (It is not a pasta joint). Floor space is a little cramped and can be noisy when packed but this added to the cheerful and friendly atmosphere. Good value for money but without excessive filling of the plate. We spent about $70 for 1 entree 2 mains 2 deserts. Deserts are spectacular - try the mascarpone white chocolate and macadamia tart it is beautifully balanced. Very enjoyable wines. Wished we lived nearby!

1  Thank craig63b