“Bad food, bad price”

Chingon Cantina y Taqueria
Ranked #226 of 329 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 2, 2013

There were limited options on the menu and only 2 nokn alcoholic drink options. Nothing special. I have salsa and corn chips and the corn chips were like cardboard - served on cardboard.
The only thing positive is the decor - very cute, but couldnt enjoy the atmosphere once i tasted the food. Very disappointed, i wont be back.

There are newer reviews for Chingon Cantina y Taqueria

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Food like cardboard and very small.
Plates nothing but small wood things.
No soft drink - and there 'Lemonada' is bitter.
Considering quality, price is too high and not very much selection.
Would never return.
They also put all our tacos on one plate and one the girl left, no one knew what was theirs and to ad hardship the refused to split the bill.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in the area and googling Mexican eats threw up this place, so I hopped onto a tram to have dinner at Chingon. It was pretty packed - nearly all the tables in the front section was filled, and it was only a Thursday evening. The back of the restaurant was also filled. It has the most delightful decor and the candles made everything look warm and cosy.

I ordered a salsa with chips and a margarita. Food and drink were slow in coming out. Wait staff were friendly and knowledgeable about their menu. Salsa was yummy and so was the margarita (although I've never had it served in a paper cup before). I finished the salsa before the chips and the staff gave me a salsa refill without additional cost.

Not a place I would frequent regularly as I thought the prices were a bit steep but wouldn't mind coming again to try the tacos.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We heard about this place a few months ago and that horrible and tatty Spanish Festival they had at the godawful Federation Square. Given that the line to get anything from this or any other stall there was as long as a freight train, we kind of gave up and opted to just visit the place for real instead.

We turned up on what is normally a late, busy Saturday evening. We were accommodated for quite quickly and the service staff were second to none and totally on the ball. However, the kitchen..... wasn't! It was extremely slow in getting anything out and we very nearly gave up after an hour of waiting until our food had arrived.

I found in all, the prices for what was on offer quite steep. They are only tacos after all. To charge $5 per taco (read mini taco) is pretty ridiculous given the fillings of what to fit in such a small soft tortilla are only minimal. I also think the price of the beverages is really steep given the size of what you get. $7 for a drink! It's small and in a paper cup.

I get the whole street food vibe here, it's all good and works perhaps in a food truck or small street vendor. But the prices don't dictate such things. You get street quality food (nothing at all wrong with that) but pay restaurant prices! (A lot wrong with that!)

If it weren't for the service staff doing such a great job at keeping people patient, I'd have walked out long before the stuff came and almost did anyway. An hour to wait for something that can be cooked up in no more than 10 minutes is not too flash at all and won't be returning based on this experience. If they want to continue to serve food on paper plates and drinks in paper cups, then drop the price a little and get the stuff out of that kitchen fast! Otherwise, I could soon see the novelty wear right off and the ship sinking fast.

Chingon definitely has some good ideas and gimmicks going for it. But let's remember that for only 2 people to pay a good $57 for a late night dinner, is ridiculous! I think the prices personally should be half of what they are and it'll be in line with what you get. That's all folks.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Being from Texas, we looked forward to our visit to Chingon. We weren't expecting Tex-Mex after reading reviews, and non-Tex-Mex is what we got. We ordered a starter of guacamole and warm tortilla chips ($10) and it was fine. The guacamole was topped with red onion and feta (not very Mexican), and chopped tomatoes. We had the prawn, fish, beef, and pork tacos ($20 for 4). The tacos were smallish and were made of blue corn tortillas. The fillings tasted quite good. The tomato salsa served as a condiment was tasty but quite spicy. We were each given a very small paper dish of shredded cabbage and capsicum to put in the tacos. Unfortunately the small dish was the only plate we were given to eat from. And no knife and fork. But we got a pile of napkins. Sort of kooky and messy. Water served in paper cups. If you're up for this kind of quirky service, give the place a try. No wine or beer so BYO, $5/person corkage.

2  Thank TravellingTex