“Not impressed”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited the Union Dining Room for a special occasion lunch with family. The menu is not extensive but ok. I ordered a main sized pasta dish ($32), and was astounded at the tiny portion - and I'm not a big eater!! I ordered gnocchi for my children and again, even for children's meals, the portion size was completely inadequate. We had to order four serves of bread to fill the kids up a bit. Although the quality of food is quite good, not fantastic, the prices are up there. I don't mind paying for a good quality and satisfying meal, but I do begrudge having to buy a burger on the way home because I am still hungry. All in all I wouldn't vist the Union Dining Room again - there are so many other great places to each in Richmond.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Dined here recently and liked the look of the menu. The servings were small, service was a bit slow and overall the food was not especially creative or exciting, and it's rather pricey for what you get. Expected more. Maybe next time.

1  Thank Tania d
Reviewed June 27, 2013

A couple of nights ago we dinned at Union Dining. We were excited by the menu and looked forward to the mean. However, the food just didn't live up to the description on paper. While it was presented nicely and looked exciting, the taste was bland and uninteresting.

It was disappointing as we had been looking for a place just like this in this part of Melbourne.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I went to Union Dining with three friends.
This was a last minute get together and we were pleased they accepted our reservation the night before.
Parking in the area can be a problem, due to clearway till 6:30PM and also there are many restaurants in the vicinity of Union Dining.
We all had main course of fish which were rainbow trout and hapuka. We also had 2 side serves one of green beans and quinoa and one of potatoes cooked in duck fat.
We had 3 desserts which were dark chocolate tart and trifle, plus a plate of cheese.
Mains were around $36 and desserts $16 each. Side dishes were around $9.
There’s a comprehensive wine list and they are happy to advise you.
The service is very efficient and friendly.
I found the restaurant a bit noisy and would prefer a table against the wall next time. It’s also a bit pricey for casual dining, but the overall experience was very positive and I will certainly return.

1  Thank MelbourneLola
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

This place really tries hard and delivers. My wife and I go there and take our sleeping baby which they accommodate every time. Lovely food, great sommelier.
Tip: let them choose the wine with your dinner. It is great.