“Excellent Local”

Noir
Ranked #9 of 341 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Noir. French inspired, Modern cuisine in an elegant, informal environment. Noir is the first venture for partners Peter Roddy and Ebony Vagg, food and wine lovers as well as hospitality professionals who together with their dedicated team bring a little old world romance to Swan Street. A combination of quality produce and classical technique with a generous spirit and a warm welcome await at this boutique neighbourhood restaurant.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Cosy atmosphere, friendly and efficient staff, good food and a perfect place to eat and chat - both quiet and lively - great mix.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had early dinner on a cold Saturday night. The restaurant was smallish and cozy. My beef tartare and waldorf salad entree was delicious as was my partner's seafood tortellini and bisque sauce. The highlight for me was the Western Plains Pork main course. The pork was served in three different ways and I especially enjoyed the slightly gelatinous yet crispy pork leg. The rabbit pie was apparently equally satisfying. Service was friendly and prompt. A solid range of wines by the glass. Would love to return.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Three of us had the degustation. All seven courses were delicious, with the pork belly, the beef (and its accompanying cauliflower cheese) and the desserts (creme brûlée and soufflé) being standouts. Staff were attentive and helpful without being intrusive. Despite the expected small serves we were well full at the end of the meal.
A definite thumbs up from us

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We moved to the area about 8 months ago and have been meaning to try Noir and finally we made it. We were not disappointed. The waiter that dealt with us was delightful- a little chatty at times but very friendly. I hope the owners appreciate this valuable staff member. He also seemed to know/ recognise other diners in the restaurant.
The food was delicious. The tartare was fantastic as was the pork belly. For main the rabbit pie was a winner- I loved the presentation- and the beef was perfectly cooked.
Overall, an excellent experience and I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had a free afternoon late in the week and the wife had been to noir for dinner with some friends but I had never been, so we thought we would try lunch. Not easy to see the name from the street (very discreet!) so had to look up the street number. So glad we found it.
Walked in, welcomed very warmly by an Indian waiter (? maître d') who spoke besides English, also French (local French grandmother in for lunch with grandchild), Hindi, and a couple of other languages, I found out. He had lived 10 years in Paris, 6 in London and ended up here with his wife. As we ordered, he volunteered enthusiastically "Good choice!" and I cheekily asked "Is it?" to which he cheekily replied, "Everything is a good choice!" along with that good old Indian shake of the head. Shaved ox tongue entrée to share was Stunning, and went down very well with the Munich Wheat beer which was the best I had sampled since Munich. The wife had the rabbit pie (ravishing), I had the suckling pig (scrumptious), and the chateau le bordieu (by the glass) was very nice. Lemon posset for dessert, and Roquefort cheese topped off with the kopke Colheita 98 port and we were very happy indeed and it came to about $150 for the 2 of us including drinks for 1. Almost made a booking then and there for the following week. Either way, we will be back very soon.