“Off the beaten track”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

There are quite a few high profile winery restaurants to choose from in the Yarra Valley, but they often come with pricey meals that don't always live up to expectations or are crowded with tour buses and the service can be disappointing. With Shantell's you definately don't have to won't about tour buses or feel crowded at least not on the Sunday we arrived. Driving in to the place we weren't really sure we'd made the right decision as it's nothing like some of the opulent wineries in the region. However we loved the boutique style restaurant with lovely views overlooking the vineyards and cosy atmosphere. This is definately a place you'd have a relaxing lunch and on the day we went there were only 3 other tables so service was attentive. We could have done the wine tasting but opted to order our meals and soak up the atmosphere in the dining area. Quite a few interesting things on the menu but what we found odd was only one entree which was a sharing plate of assorted cured meats, crackers, dip, mushrooms, olives and a very small piece of cheese and we felt this was not worth $26. That aside I ordered the ink squid pasta which was excellent, full of fresh seafood and nice flavours. My wife had the spatchcock which she enjoyed, and our other guest had the cannelloni which she also thoroughly enjoyed. We also ordered the 2011 Semillion which was the perfect accompaniment to our dishes. There were quite a few desserts to choose from but we opted to have tea & coffee and just linger and enjoy the views. What I liked about this place is that the owners often came out to ask us if we were enjoying our meals and I felt like they placed alot of emphasis on attention to detail. I'd have to say the meals were very good (save for the sharing plate), the service excellent and the views are spectactular. If I was in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to drop in for a meal.

1  Thank 3644jv

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Shantells is a sparkling jewel in the Yarra Valley. The views of the vineyard are lovely and serene. The restaurant is beautiful and the wine is excellent. The food is great and the service is outstanding. Turid and Shan are wonderful hosts who go beyond normal efforts to personalise your experience.You will really enjoy this restaurant and like us - return over and over again!

2  Thank DrJanetHall
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I wish there was a rating in between "average" and "very good" as this was just that. I came by with 3 friends, did a tasting then stayed for lunch. The chardonnay didn't disappoint!!!
Here's my feedback:

PROs
- cute little independent winery
- no booking necessary for a Thursday afternoon
- Chardonnay was delicious!
- patio was lovely on a nice summer day, looking out onto the winery
- tasting was $3 pp and they were generous with their wines, and the $3 pp was refunded since we stayed for lunch
- Beef cheek and Chicken on menu were delicious

CONs
- sharing plate could have been better with higher quality meats
- tiny sprinkles of capsicum on every dish was a bit of a turn off
- 90s decor inside the restaurant - a little upgrade in decor could go a long way
- squid ink pasta was small, but quite bland

Overall, I would recommend this winery as 2 of the 3 dishes we had were delicious.
We also had the entertainment card which gave us 25% off, so we couldn't complain about the price! :)

1  Thank 11daisy11
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This winery is obviously not on the usual bus tours so it's so much quieter. The food was lovely, perfectly cooked. We arrived late in the afternoon and nothing was a problem - 'yes the chef is happy to cook anything on the menu'. What a pleasant change! Beautiful spot and will definitely return again.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I can honestly say that while were visiting the Yarra Glen end of the wineries we had never spotted this little gem before. It's not on the wine tours so if you're not travelling by yourself you probably wouldn't see it, but a really nice selection of wines and the winemaker is a lovely man who is more than happy to chat