“Looks better in photos”
Review of Mantaraya Lodge

Mantaraya Lodge
Ranked #9 of 15 Puerto Lopez B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The plus about this place is that there is air conditioning, although it wasn't totally necessary when I was there. Dinner and lunch were not included in our package. The good was okay, but nothing special. I really disliked one of the fish I selected and did not eat most of it. The pool area is attractive; the folks that worked there were very nice, but there were many worms around the room. In the morning they removed them, but they quickly returned...most on the floor, but also on the toilet, walls, etc.

I tried 3 times to take a warm shower and was only successful once. Great if you like or need cold showers...burr! No hair dryers either. I did not like having to put some of my luggage on the floor as I didn't want to take any worms home.

There was a screen on my room 10 window, but it was disconnected in one corner, so I had to keep the window closed. The veranda was shared with my friends in the next room. I used it when I first got there and find it a nice asset.

Would have liked access to more than one TV. My computer only worked once after staff got it to connect. I could not get anything on my own.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jema813
Advantagetravel, Guest Relations Manager at Mantaraya Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear jema813, it is a plus the AC. Especially in sunny season! Sorry about your fish plate, we buy fresh fish from the market. Because we are in the middle of the forest in the Machalilla National Park we do have a lot of worms, we fumigate with ecofriendly chemicals but these are not as effective as normal chemicals and we don’t want to cause a major impact on this wonderful forest. We work hard to get those bugs out of hotel premises. The hot water can be a bit tricky, we are working on this. The room 10 is perfect now! And we try not to have TVs as we like our guest to experience the Park itself. Hope to see you again soon trough Ecuador.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We checked out of Mandala and checked into here. What a difference! Although it is away from town, you can grab a small cab and be there in minutes. It reminds me of the Pelican hotel in San Juan Del Sur -- and the view, pool was lovely. Room was great and any issues were fixed immediately. Only downside was the lack of a coffee maker and lack of screens on the doors and windows.

Room Tip: We loved room 15.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ohdoggy
Advantagetravel, Director of Sales at Mantaraya Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and great suggestions. We will make sure to have a coffee maker and screens on the doors and windows for your next visit . We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the Mantarraya Lodge.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Mantaraya Lodge is located just outside of Puerto Lopez, a 1 ½ to 2 hour drive from Manta. I spent from Dec. 23 to Dec. 27 at the Mantaraya Lodge as part of my travels with Adventure Life. When I first arrived I felt the Lodge presented better on the Internet then it did in person. In the time the property grew on me.

As I checked in I was able to move to a room with a better view. Each room consists of a patio or porch with hammock and chair. My porch floor did have bird droppings on it and I questioned just how clean the hammock was. The room itself was big, the bed could have been softer, and the pillows a bit fuller. Windows do have screens. So you can sleep with the windows open or the windows closed an AC on. The hot water is very hot. The pressure from cold water is limited, so it is hard to cool down the hot water.

The Lodge is located on a main road. So there are ocean views but no beach access. If you are wanting to hike you have to take a taxi to Puerto Lopez. I could hear traffic sounds from my room which was on the edge of the property.

Rooms are centered around a pool. There are tables to sit at around the pool and tables which are shaded and closer to the lodge. Meals were included and the food was good. The chef made use of lots of seafood. The office manager seemed to take an interest in both my comfort and satisfaction. He was bilingual.

The Lodge offers hikes, trips to areas of interest, and excursions to Isla Plata. On the way to Isla Plata the boat had mechanical problems. Lodge workers got us onto another boat and we were able to hike on the Isla. Afterwards we were offered special drinks at the Lodge. If something does not go as planned there is an effort by the Lodge to better the situation.

If you are looking for a place that is away from town, has a water view, includes a pool and onsite restaurant then Mantaraya Lodge is the place to be. You will have the opportunity to kick back and let time pass by.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs or elevated room for a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RPWORLD
Advantagetravel, Owner at Mantaraya Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review with us, I really appreciate the feedback. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is pretty much what differences us from the competitors; we understand that a pleased customer is the best promotion for us.

I just wanted to let you know that the hammocks are normally placed in the balconies the day we have arriving guests, we take them down as soon as passengers checks out and we send them to the laundry as soon as a room become available. We try to keep them as clean as possible but we can't control the birds of the area.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your trip and we will be delighted to welcome you soon in the near future

Warmest Regards

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Do not be fooled , Mantaraya Lodge bears absolutely no resemblance to the beautiful shiny pictures posted on its website . The Lodge is falling down and needs major maintenance works and a thorough clean. There are deep cracks on exterior and interior walls to the extent that we considered it hazardous. The rooms smell of damp , furnishings of low quality and dont expect a hairdryer or even handsoap in the bathroom.The edges around the pool are covered and I mean covered in bird poo. We also had cockroaches in our room at night.Add to this Oswaldo the disgruntled , disinterested hotel manager and a miserable holiday experience is complete . We decided to cut our losses and checked out after one night instead of spending six nights .

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank LMH42

Dear LMH42, in effect the Hotel has crack son the walls but nothing hazardous. These cracks appear because of the climate and the soil the hotel is standing in. When there is a lot of heat and then you add up the humidity the walls expand and collapse creating the cracks. We work very hard to prevent this but when it’s August and we are in the peak of the humid season it is very difficult to make this maintenance. The smell is weird, but it’s due to high humidity. We fumigate the hotel with friendly environmental chemicals due to our sustainable practices, we have to consider the hotel is the only one in the middle of the Machalilla National Park so there will be bugs, and sorry if this was an inconvenience. We are working hard to fix all this issues.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed at the Mantaraya Lodge in May, off-season for the area. The hotel manager allowed us to pick our own rooms (we were 7 in total). Dinner was great. They catered to those who didn't eat fish/squid and instead brought out chicken. You could buy a huge bottle of beer for $2. At night we would drink beer and they would bring us snacks and play music. There is also a TV, where we saw a US play-off basketball game.

We chose the all-inclusive option and had a great tour guide, Limber. Limber showed us Isla de la Plata and the museum and town down the street. He also took us to Los Frailles beach, where we were also the only ones. Great tour guide!

The rooms were great. The hotel just installed AC (not yet advertised online) and had fans. There were some little bugs in the rooms, but nothing daunting. What do you expect for a tropical, forested area?

Amazing views. Would recommend to any one to visit. The booking process may seem a little fishy, but it was not. Limber was waiting for us at the airport and the ride to the Lodge had AC. We only paid for our alcoholic drinks once at the Lodge. Great time!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VigorousVoyager

Dear Kristy P, excellent comments, we are glad you had a great adventure here in Ecuador. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Manataray Lodge for 3 days in May of 2012, a month before whale-watching season began. We arrived at Manta from Quito early in the morning and our guide, Limberg, and driver were outside waiting for us with signs in hand. Although it was almost a three hour drive from the airport, when we arrived at Mantaraya we were pleasantly surprised. The place was beautiful and the staff went above and beyond to ensure that the 8 of us were thoroughly taken care of. During our down time the waiter would bring us popcorn and plantains. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were excellent and they catered to my vegan diet: whole wheat pancakes, veggie empanadas, lentils (my favorite), and much much more. For the meat eaters there was fish and for those in my family who were not fans of fish, steak and chicken were readily substituted. Although it wasn't on the website, the rooms all came with A/C, which we were all grateful for. Be warned: there may be a bug or two in your room. They're harmless. There was no wifi, but the hotel manager let us use his personal laptop whenever we wanted to surf the web. There was only one TV in the "lobby-ish" area, but it had every channel imaginable (so we were able to watch the NBA playoffs). The best part of the trip was Limberg. He was great. He took us to local sites and knew so much about Manta, Puerto Lopez (his home), and Isla de la Plata. The beach we went to on our last day was perfect. There were rocks to climb and big waves. Overall Mantaraya was definitely the highlight of our 8 day Ecuador stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Hi Cati_Fdz, we are glad you had a wonderful experience, we do have bugs because we are in the middle of the National Park but it’s manageable. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

The hotel is great, but it is the moment for maintance and upgrade all rooms, some of the rooms are not in the best shape.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Santiago, thanks for your input, we work hard on the maintenance of our hotel but when humid season starts its difficult to make maintenance. We will try harder to make this hotel look perfect!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Lopez
#1 of 15 in Puerto Lopez
Hosteria Playa Sur
Hosteria Playa Sur
#5 of 15 in Puerto Lopez

Been to Mantaraya Lodge? Share your experiences!