Hotel Hosteria Nantu
$68
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Pacifico(Puerto Lopez)
Hotels.com
Hotel El Mirador(Puerto Lopez)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfresh fruithot tubspeaks excellent englishroom was clean and comfortableyoung manquiet at nightincluded breakfastenjoyed our stayswimming poolwhale watchingandreapropertytvecuadorbeachhostelpricier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in Puerto Lopez for 2 weeks so had a lot of time to check things out. I first stayed at a hotel on main strip. But was not the greatest. Then searched down the beach and
 found Mandalay which looked promising but was too expensive for my long stay. I found Nantu and it had everything and the best price. Has a pool, big restaurant, and nice bar. The rooms are all new with massive rails and beams, is very Amazon looking, and secure and gated so I was at ease with the car rental. Has private decks and hammocks. What I found amazing was these two very cool dogs that guard the place at night and if you go out for a walk on the beach and if you pet them before you go, these two dogs by themselves stay back a few feet as if they were two soldiers and quietly keeping you safe where ever you walk. I gave them a nice tip consisting of a delicious kabob on a stick from a local street vendor (1 dollar) and felt we were friends for life :) Even if you go in the water they will go right in and wait a distance back and never got in our way. When we went back they just went back to the front area of the hotel and didn't follow further and went to sleep. They were so obedient to us even though we were strangers I couldn't believe it. The hosts speaks perfect English but are Ecuadorian so they know everything and we had a lot of fun at night learning about Ecuador and the best restaurants and secret hotspots from them. They arranged for all our tours for us and made sure they were english speakers and each day a new guide with a new adventure came and picked us up at the hotel Including an awesome trip to de la playa  island, which we went snorkeling and fed  huge turtles. Watched the blue footed boobies dive bomb fish from high above. First thing you see when you step onto the island are crazy red crabs scooting all along the beach which was hilarious. You won't see that in the states! Of course the whale watching trip was another story in itself And took a private all day big fish fishing trip by an Ecuadorean named "Winston Churchill" :) Felt I was in a  Robinson Caruso story. Missed the horse riding though. The beach in puerto Lopez was clean. And not even a trace of seaweed to wrap around you. You can wade out into the gentle surf for a thousand feet and still only go up to your waist. I did this at 12 at night and felt totally safe. BTY the sand is baby soft and no nasty rocks to hurt you.
Food was so fresh that everything you eat is a new experience. Ate a whole lobster for 12 bucks!  Took a sulfer mud bath in agua Blanca. And peeked at golden beach (yes The sand is golden color). Was the best vacation I ever had. By the way wireless phone Internet works everywhere in Ecuador! If you have a smartphone with gps it will be a life saver as most streets don't even have a sign. As I left, I wish I could take those dogs home with me as I already miss those long walks on the beach with them.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Kevin0067
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Have been here in the end of march 2012. Nice, quiet, remote place with low prices friendly staff). Local cat is very big and insolent)) Breakfasts were good and enough for me) The owner has good comman in English that was very helpful for us cause we don't speak Spanish.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Grigorjan
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My friend and I stayed at a hostal recommended in one of the traveler´s guides. It poured that night and the roof and walls leaked! We changed rooms but same problem. Electricity went out too and no generator.
Luckily, noticed Hosteria Nantu on a walk and for $3 more a night had far superior accomodations. ($15 a night per person.)Owner and some staff are fluent in English, friendly, welcoming and accomodating. They had a generator. Also,hammock, and chairs for veranda. A TV was also filming Ecuador´s version of Fear Factor in their pool! A woman afraid of water was being coached how to scubadive. The next day she was going to scuba dive in the Pacific. So, a little extra entertainment! We will definitely stay at Nantu in the future.

Room Tip: Lower floors have AC and view of pool. Upper level rooms have fans and good view of ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2012

If you are interested in staying in a very nice Hostel, close to town but away from the noise, this would be the place. It is a Beautiful place, and the owners are very, very nice people. The property is beautiful and right across from the beach. It also has a swimming pool, and a very nice restaurant with bar and pool table.

Room Tip: They are all nice rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bpak01
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We checked into the Hosteria Nantu for three nights, but liked it so much we decided to stay another three. The owners are very friendly, and very helpful about the area and activities. The staff is also very friendly and efficient. We rented one of the two suites towards the front of the property. It had a refrigerator, airconditioner and tv. The rooms were tastefully furnished, and there was a porch to sit on and enjoy the and sunset over the ocean. There were also rooms in the back which were a bit smaller and also very nice. The breakfast each morning consisted of fresh fruit, fresh croissants, and eggs.
It was also very quiet at night, something important to us. It was within walking distance of town, but far enough away that there was no noise.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple