“Little hidden paradise”
Review of Sol Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Lopez
Sol Inn
Adelaide, Australia
“Little hidden paradise”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Away from the dusty (or muddy depending on the time of year!) roads of Puerto Lopez is the Sol Inn. With cute little cabins made of bamboo, super cool artwork from previous travellers and beautiful plants through out, this place is really nice to hang out. There is a pool table and hammocks to use as well as a basic kitchen. Clean rooms and bathrooms, good basic accommodation and certainly worth the price. You will no doubt get to meet Darwin the owner when you stay who makes sure you have a great time while you are there and will help out with anything you need. The beach is only a couple of streets away and everything you need is close by. I had such a fantastic time here and in Puerto Lopez, defiantly worth checking out!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynda C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I ended up staying here for about a week due to some volunteer work I was doing in the area. Not bad for the cheap rates, but it certainly isn't luxurious. The beds are pretty terrible... I was with 2 other friends and they put us in a dorm with 3 beds total- one queen and a bunk bed. So two of my friends had to share a bed which was kind of strange. You can definitely feel the bed boards through the "mattress" and there was a night side table blocking the ladder up to my bed so it was quite an ordeal to get up there. Kitchen is pretty disgusting, not sure it ever gets cleaned. Probably biggest complaint is the little bugs (not sure what they were, but the dogs and cats were completely infested with them as well) that were literally everywhere- in the beds, in my bag, in the kitchen, on the tables. They looked like little mites, and although I don't think they bit, it was still kind of off-putting to have creepy crawlers everywhere. On the positive side, the hostel has a very open, cool layout with plenty of common space. You get what you pay for I guess.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

PROS: Great location, only two blocks from the beach and town center. There is a very large common area with pool table, hammocks, fully equipped kitchen and dining areas.

CONS: LOUD! It is right between some loud bars that play music until 2-3 am. There are tons of dogs and cats that are filthy and covered in fleas. I got so many bites when I was there! The entire place stinks and is covered in filth. There was no kitchen dish soap or hand soap the whole time i was there, which means things were even nastier than I could see!

The staff is very rude and unhelpful. I had major problems with the internet, and they offered me pot as consolation. When I asked for more dish soap they said they would work on it an didnt. The manager is constantly missing so you have to ring the doorbell 10 times, or hear others do that, while dogs bark the whole time!

It is a good price, but the area has MUCH better for the same price

If it was the cheapest in the area I would say, stay at your own risk. But you really can pay the same price and experience a much better atmosphere.

Room Tip: The higher up you stay in levels, the louder it is because of the noise of the surrounding areas. Do...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived without a reservation, but had no problem getting a double room with private bathroom for $10/night per person. The bed was one of the more comfy ones on this trip (and one of the biggest, which can be a problem in South America) and also had a big mosquito net. The room was very big and reasonable clean, although a bit damp. The common areas are nice for hanging out and meeting people, but one night the music went on until about 1:30am... Since staff tends to disappear at one point of the evening, they aren't really in a position to do anything about it. The staff generally wasn't my favorite part of this stay, because while the guy usually was helpful, he couldn't have looked more disinterested if he tried.

All in all a decent option for a stay in Puerto Lopez, as long as you don't expect top-notch service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I went to Puerto Lopez in December with my sister. We decided to lodge here because we looked for something with a reasonable price. The hotel is located one square from the beach and you can find all facilities like restaurants and shops nearby. The dorms are clean and the staff friendly. It is a good hotel for backpackers it offers a kitchen, a small garden to relax and WIFI.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I'd got the overnight bus from Quito. I hadn't reserved a room but figured that arriving at 5am I'd probably find one.

I arrived with a group of people from my bus at 5am and explained I didn't have a reservation. They said a dorm room would be available by 10 and we had to wait.

The others' private room was ready at about 10:30. I waited some more and chatted to some locals.

By 12, there was still no room so I asked one of the women. She laughed in my face when I told her I'd been waiting since 5 and showed me to a dorm bed in a 4-person dorm.

A few minutes later, 4 other people arrived and explained that they had a reservation. The woman looked at me blankly as if I could somehow solve this problem. Then she suggested I pay $24 for a private room instead of the $8 for the dorm. I said this was too expensive. She looked at me blankly.

There was no apology and no suggestion that, since they'd messed up, I could stay in another room for less money.

Eventually, after a wasted 7.5 hours, I said I would look for another hostel and repacked my bags.

She laughed to herself again as I walked away.

I've never experienced such rude and unhelpful behaviour from staff in any hostel, campsite or hotel I've ever stayed in and I hope that this review will discourage others from staying there. They don't deserve anyone's money.

If you come to Puerto Lopez, book in advance to be on the safe side, but under no circumstances choose Sol Inn.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank arianwen_morris
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in a double room for 2 nights but found that $10 per person per night was pretty steep for the area. The hosts couldn't care less if we stayed or went, weren't particularly helpful if we asked any questions with our limited Spanish, and flat out refused to give us the wifi password until the second day. The location is good for the beach, bars and restaurant but it is pretty noisy. Atmosphere is social and the facilities are good but for the price, there's more choice available further up the beach.

• Stayed April 2012