“Don't know why it wasn't more crowded, but fine by me!”

Playa de los Frailes
Medellin, Colombia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Don't know why it wasn't more crowded, but fine by me!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We hired a car to take us because we were still recovering from a bad food poisoning incident. If you take a bus, you have to walk probably 2-3km from the road to get to the beach.
Having a car/driver for a day only cost us $20 and it was worth it, as he drove use to Agua Blanca afterward.
The park closes at 4pm!
Beautiful beach, very clean. There's a simple snack bar (no alcohol allowed) about 100 meters from the beach if you need anything.
We rented an umbrella for $4, which was a good call. There's not really anywhere to get shade.
Beautiful place! Definitely recommended. Pack a picnic, towel, and plenty of sun protection!

Visited June 2014
6 Thank MonkeyMelissa

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Beautiful little stop on our journey, love this place”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

A few friends and I were travelling up the Coast of Ecuador and came across this wonderful little gem. We walked along the beach and hiked the short trail to the look off point. Found some little critters along the way too! Lizards, small snakes (eeeek!) Would love to come back to spend more time at the beach.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Eveee1
Bochum, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic beach”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

First of all you have to know that there are two possibilities to get to the beach:
Either you walk straight to the main beach without being able to enjoy the view as you walk ca. 30 minutes over a dusty road or you choose the scenically way more beautiful way which takes about 90 minutes and leads you to three other remote beaches before arriving at the Playa de los Frailes. Obviously, I took the second one. And that is why I give 5 points - the journey is the reward! We walked peacefully and were stunned by the beauty of nature. You can enjoy the view and relax but swimming is prohibited due to safety reasons. During the whole walk we just met two other people but the lookout towers are quite crowded.
I have to admit that the smaller beaches were more beautiful, but nevertheless I was not disappointed by the Playa de los Frailes. Both the sand and the water ist clean and we were lucky enough to spot some whales from the beach!
Enough water and sunscreen are absolutely necessary as you can easily underestimate the equatorial sun and there are only few possibilities to stay in the shade.
All in all I can highly recommend this beach and especially the way through the National Park!

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Sophie95188
Ann Arbor
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“I guess it is ok”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

It may be ok for this side of the Pacific and definitely better than the nearby Puerto Lopez beach, which is the filthiest garbage dump of a beach I have seen.
Frailes is nice for wading although the murky water is far from inviting a swim. The brief walk uphill offers a nice view of the area and a few other beaches in the park. It is reacheable by bus from P. Lopez and at the park entrance pay $1 for taximoto to the beach entry.

4 Thank LadytravelerAnnArbor
Edmonton, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Beautiful National Park”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I had fun lounging on Playa Los Frailes, but the water seemed quite rough and dirty at the main beach. I would recommend doing the trails throughout the park, and finding a quieter spot on one of the other beaches.

Visited April 2014