“Amazing!”

Hacienda Zuleta
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I had one night here and it wasn't enough! The whole place is beautiful, it was quite busy when I was there but the house is so big everywhere felt like I was in my own big house. The food was excellent and the staff were great.
There is lots to do around the lodge so your time is filled up easily. There is fresh coffee and soft drinks available all the time which was really nice and of course the log fires in the room were a great addition on the cold evening I was there.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you Ellie for your review. And we all thank you for choosing Zuleta , we love guests from New Zealand , many say that highland Ecuador has a lot in common with NZ.... it is in my top country´s to visit.
Indeed that one night is not enough for Zuleta , but it is better than zero!! I recommend 3 nights , and 2 is our average stay, most guest are coming or going to Galapagos, so we have to settle ! Although I truly believe that Ecuador offers SO much apart from Galapagos, that a visit to at least the highlands and the Amazon basin is a must. Guests that come to Zuleta as an extension to their Galapagos trip, always comment to me that the highlands impressed them the most! mainly because they did not expect to see such beauty and diversity.

Thank you again for coming from so far away to visit us, please send us more New Zealanders!! ??

Fernando and all the staff!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
metro Boston
Reviewed April 19, 2014

A visit to Hacienda Zuleta is like coming home - so long as you live in a 16th century, 16 bedroom, former monastery high in the Andes Mountains. The house and stable staff could not have been more welcoming. They anticipated every need, and could not do enough to make your stay the best it could possibly be. Turn-down service included not only the usual chocolate on the pillow, but a hot water bottle tucked in the sheets and a warm, crackling fire in your wood stove.

Special mention of Silvia, one of the property managers who gave us several special tours of the property, and Lilliana, the dueña of the dining room, who served delicious 3 course meals at lunch and dinner.

The Zuleteño horses (cross between an Andalusian and an American Quarter horse) in the stable are top-notch for trail riding. Sure footed and sturdy, they are obviously well cared for by Roderigo and his fellow grooms.

The Hacienda's 3 dogs, Fito, Dominga and Canela, will adopt you as their own and can't wait to accompany you on hikes or trips to town. They look so sad when you go back inside, as they are not allowed there.

A great place to unwind after a tour in the Galapagos!

Room Tip: Every room is different, but as far as I could see, each has it's own special charm. Every room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your review! Sylvia, Liliana, Rodrigo, Fito, Dominga and Canela are so happy they all made your stay at Zuleta very special! We love when our guest mention our dogs , the best companions and guides !! Canela is our latest's addition to our rescue dogs , rescued by Sylvia, our German collaborator, who came for three months and is close to a year with us, Zuleta has that effect on people , you just can´t leave!!

Thank you again for your review, I hope we can see you again , and please recommend us to your friends and family!

Fernando and all the staff.
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed April 13, 2014

To Sylvia and the rest of the staff at Hacienda Zuleta -- Thank you for a fabulous experience during our stay. All of the staff and the Hacienda itself were SO welcoming from the moment we arrived. Our visit included horseback riding to the Condor Preserve, hiking local trails, shopping in town for local embroidery pieces, a visit to the local saddle maker, and tours of the cheese factory, house, and gardens. The food was wonderful at all meals. We especially enjoyed meeting new friends in the common areas of the house, sitting by the fire, and sampling locally made cheese in the evening before our meal. I will happily recommend Hacienda Zuleta to anyone who is interested in visiting Ecuador. In my rankings, sleep quality would have ranked higher, but I had a few effects from altitude which kept me up one night. Although, the room was great & the bed really comfortable. I loved having a fireplace in our room.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms were open during our visit when they were unoccupied. All rooms that I saw looked...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hola Becky ,

We are very thankful that you choose Zuleta as part of your Ecuador experience, and I hope the altitud did not kept you from enjoying Zuleta. We will like to reduce the altitude of Zuleta when we see guest suffering the effects of altitude , but then we will not be in the magical Andes mountains!

We all send you very good energy from the Andes and please recommend s to your friends and family. Thank you for taking the time to review Hacienda Zuleta.

Fernando , Sylvia and all the Staff
new jersey
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went to the Hacienda for the last three nights of a two week trip. Our guide Christian was wonderful and the service at the hacienda was excellent. Any and all requests were met with a smile. When I was not comfortable on my horse, they met us on the trail and brought me another horse. When my son requested watermelon for dinner, no problem! The rooms were beautiful. We had two junior suites which had a private little hallway so felt very safe having the kids in another room. Compared to other high end ranches we have been to, I felt the price/value was very good. Please feel free to email me with any questions! I would absolutely recommend.

Room Tip: The two junior suites on first floor with private hallway is great for families.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank funtraveler30
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your review, we love it when families come to Zuleta, it´s a great place for families!! And I think choosing Zuleta for the end was a good choice. I think 3 days it´s ideal for Zuleta , most guest stay only two , but 2 is better than one!!

We hope to see you again at Zuleta , and please recommend us to your friends and family!! And remember we will always have our doors open for you kids they can come back as volunteers!

Fernando and all the staff at Hacienda Zuleta!
chilmark, ma
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Incredible property and terrific and welcoming staff. Wholesome meals, honor bars everywhere!

Somewhat isolated which may be a plus to some. Roads are in poor shape leading to Hacienda but repaving appears to be in the works.

Wonderful ambiance when the staff lights the many fireplaces....
Family style dining a plus!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you Ninja Jack , I love your Trip Advisor name!!
We love how you catalog us , ¨A real treat¨ ... this is a real honor. The roads we know are at this moment horrible, but in 5 months we will be connected with all pave roads, I don´t see this to positive , but for our guests it will be a blessing! We will have the Otavalo market at 35 min all in paved roads. Our roads inside the farm will always be cobblestone this I can promise.

Thank you again for you review and please recommend us.

Fernando and all the Staff at Zuleta.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Hacienda Zuleta is a remarkable hideaway in the highlands of Ecuador. The ambiance, service, rooms and amenities are excellent. Hiking, horseback riding, a condor sanctuary, a cheese making operation and organic gardens and meals as amazing. Close to the culture of the indigenous indian culture of Imbabura it is a true paradise.

• Stayed February 2014
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. All of us are VERY happy you loved our little piece of paradise in the Ecuadorean Andes! I hope you will recommend us to your friends and family! We can help them discover Ecuador and we will attend to them us we attended you.

Thank you again and again!

Fernando and all the staff at Zuleta
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed for two nights. The rooms are well done, with fireplaces that create a wonderful and warm feeling. The bathrooms are large, with everything you need to enjoy a good bath. The sitting rooms are very pleasant. When they light the fires the y become ideal places to read and feel cozy. The views are lovely. The food is organic and well prepared but not fancy. Cheese is served with other snacks every afternoon. There are pleasant walks and activities around the farm, but most of them are additional and can be costly.
The staff is very welcoming, helpful and friendly.
But compared with other farms in the area Hacienda Zuleta is overpriced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you very much for you review Himelda, I and all the staff at Hacienda Zuleta are very happy that you had a beautiful time at our home. I am sad that you consider us overprice, it hurts but I understand what you feel. I will not give excuses to try to defend our rates, I actually strongly believe that our rates for what we are and provide are very reasonable. Our concept of providing very comfortable rooms, great food, beautiful gardens and views, very friendly and motivated staff , well trained horses all this enclosed in a home environment , with a very strong responsibility towards the environment and the well being of the community. So if you will compare us with other hotels in Ecuador , yes we are more expensive, but overpriced I will have to say that it all depends how we are being judge, and with whom we are being compared to.
I will check your account to see if there was any mistakes committed, and if there was we will offer a very felt excuse and we will do the necessary reimbursement and I will provide you with a free night when ever you decide to come back to this fantastic and magical country.
Thank you again for your review.