“Elegance in the Andes!”

and 1 more site!
Hacienda Zuleta
“Elegance in the Andes!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Hacienda Zuleta is a property that is amazing! If you are able to fit this stay into your budget, you will be delightful and not disappointed. You can do a much as you wish or just simple relax on the grounds of the hacienda. We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights. Sylvia helped us organize our days to get the most of our stay. We did an indpendent walk to see the Condor rehabilation program and were lucky enough to see Condor soaring in the wild. We hiked, rode mountain bikes and horses, milked a cow and fed calves. We thoroughlly enjoyed visiting with the women in the community and purchased their beautiful hand-work embroidery. We had a nice trunk ride to the Paramo where we saw Alphaca and stunning views of the valley below!
The selection of our meals (3 a day) were amazing. They were served with such hospitality and every meal was delcious. The staff were so welcoming and truly wanted us to feel as though we were at home. We also enjoyed the tour of the gardens and the cheese factory! Very impressive. The cheese was delicious and we brought some home successfully for gifts.
We would be so blessed and fortunate if we were able to go to Zuleta again in our life time!!!

Room Tip: We think that any room you are in would be great and you would not be disappointed. However, if you...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your review!! We will love to have you again at Zuleta, return guests get an extra discount, and are treated like family, with love and dedication!!

Come back! and be part of the Family of Hacienda Zuleta!!

Til we see you again!

Fernando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Hacienda Zuleta was amazing! The staff bent over backwards to accomodate my gluten allergy. The lovely chef even developed a gluten free birthday cake to serve me for my birthday! It did not stop there. Every meal, the chef made sure to offer gluten free food for me. When we returned from a beautiful horse ride, we came to our room (named Mamita Osaya) to find "happy birthday" written in rose petals on our beautifully made bed.
We also really enjoyed the hotel dog "Fito" who accompanied us on morning walks. Everyone at Hacienda Zuleta is professional, friendly, and determined to make sure your stay is a 10 out of a 10. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
10 out of 10 ... a great review!! thank you! we will aspire to reach 120% !! We love to attend our guests , we think that we should feel proud that our guests have chosen Zuleta, so we do our very best to make your stay with us memorable and unique!

Thank you for your review!!

Rochester, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was wowed by Zuleta. The property is stunning, inside and out. My room was small but quite cozy. It overlooked the stables and had a view to mountains. The common rooms are inviting and service is excellent. All meals were delicious, enhanced by Zuleta-made cheeses, yoghurt, and other treats. Best of all were my excursions. With the hacienda dogs in the lead, I thoroughly enjoyed the natural beauty along the hike to the Condor rehab facility. Encounters with llamas added to my pleasure. I also took the horse carriage tour of the area, stopping to buy exquisite Zuleta embroidery. The tour allowed for fabulous views of farms, valleys and mountains. My only concern is the noise from doors opening and closing. Fortunately the other guests were quiet and considerate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your generous review. We love how you enjoyed Hacienda Zuleta! We are inspired with guests like you! We will solve the noise problem in some rooms, and I will personally check this.

Thank you again.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Hacienda Zuleta is a magical retreat. You can really feel the Century old history of the really vast hacienda and the old carefully renovated Buildings.
It is pretty expensive but well Worth it. Excellent facilities. Really nice bedrooms with an open fire welcoming you every evening after dinner. Really nice breakfast and good dinners. The dinners are not excellent but really good.
There are plenty of activities for you take part in. However, please be aware of that most of them cost extra. The horses and the trails are absolutely Amazing.
Our Group of 14 family members and friends stayed here for only two nights. We would really like to come back for a whole week and simply enjoy this relaxing Place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your review, I love to see families at our home, this is a family home per excellence, but also an ideal place for tranquility, peace and just enjoy nature. Perfect after or before Galapagos. We will LOVE to receive you entire family again for a week, we will give you a very special treatment! both in attention and cost!

Come back!!

San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were staying in Quito for 4 days and wanted to take a day trip from there to see more of the country. We found Hacienda Zuleta online and it looked like a very special experience. I was somewhat taken aback at the price of $305 per person - $610 - a night, but thought it would be worth the splurge for a special experience. Let me say first that Hacienda Zuleta is well maintained and beautiful and the staff were so kind and helpful. Our room was nice but nothing special. Where I was disappointed is that at the price of staying, I had an expectation the quality of the food and services would be above average. The meals were plain, bland and boring. I had chicken that was fried and so dry I had to wash down each bite with water. And then on top of paying a high end price tag for staying, no other services were included. While I can understand the extra charge for horseback rides and tour guides, I was surprised to see they charge $26 to use a bike and $34 for an embroidery class. I am in the hospitality business, and know these types of services could and should be included within the price point they charge as a value to their guests. It is a beautiful location filled with history but in my opinion does not meet the quality of experience in relation to the cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2muchfun_12
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry your stay with us was not worth the price you payed, you felt cheated and I can understand your feeling. I am very sad that this happen to you at Hacienda Zuleta, we take a lot of pride for outstanding service, and food is one of the main reasons our guests complement us! SO this review has hit me in the heart, I will check every complaint you have in your review, I will try to find your reservation, will check the room you had, and will talk to the host that was attending you, to see the food you and your party ordered. I have always wanted to eliminate chicken breast from our menu!! I will re check how they are doing it so this will never happen again, unless the guest wants a very fry and dry chicken breast!!

Sorry again, and if you ever plan a visit to Ecuador again please let me invite you again for one night and prove to you we can exceed your expectations.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I felt like a guest in a wonderful home, full of history with gracious people all around. I especially remember the kindness of the women in the kitchen who fixed me a special meal because of an allergy. I also remember two fantastic excursions, one around the ranch itself (for horse lovers this would be very special) and one to visit a condor rehabilitation center in the middle of nowhere, where llamas were grazing by the path and where the condors, majestic and intelligent birds, preened for our photos. I think the experience would have been even better had we not been there during a three-day rain which erased the surrounding scenery. I recommend the Hacienda highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for you generous review. I read your review in Sept. I was sure I had written a thank you note to you, but who noes what happened to it. Just wanted to say thank you from all of us, I hope you can come back some day and that you will recommend us to friends and family, we will be honored to attend to them with the dedication we attended you!

Take good care we send you ONLY good energy from our little piece of Ecuadorean Paradise!

Fernando and all the staff.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hello Everyone!
I wanted to express my thoughts on Hacienda Zuleta. My sister and I stayed here for 4 days at the beginning of July 2013. We took a 2 hour car ride from Quito and let me tell you was it worth every mile. Driving and coming upon Hacienda Zuelta was something that you dream of or see in the movies. The Gorgeous Majestic landscape accompanied by this old Hacienda and the surrounding town in which it resides. From the moment that we arrived the the moment that we left the service was exceptional. Now as you are reading it must have been amazing given that I am writing this all from memory and it has been over a month now. They offer delicious food, family style gatherings at meals, fantastic service and plenty of activities ( my favorite being the horseback riding some of the best trail riding I have done) All in all if you want to experience something Majestic with OUTSTANDING customer service this is your place. Thank you Zuleta for everlasting memories!! :) :) :) Till the next time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your review!! Thank you for up loding your pictures, I loved the one with Fito (my dog) !! I do this very often with him, we just sit at Condor View and just feel the energy of the valley and the views! I love that you loved Zuleta!

Thank you again, please send us all your nice friends and family!!

The best for you and your family in this new year!!

Fernando and all the Staff