“Felt honored to stay here”
Review of Hacienda Zuleta

Hacienda Zuleta
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I felt like a guest in a wonderful home, full of history with gracious people all around. I especially remember the kindness of the women in the kitchen who fixed me a special meal because of an allergy. I also remember two fantastic excursions, one around the ranch itself (for horse lovers this would be very special) and one to visit a condor rehabilitation center in the middle of nowhere, where llamas were grazing by the path and where the condors, majestic and intelligent birds, preened for our photos. I think the experience would have been even better had we not been there during a three-day rain which erased the surrounding scenery. I recommend the Hacienda highly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you for you generous review. I read your review in Sept. I was sure I had written a thank you note to you, but who noes what happened to it. Just wanted to say thank you from all of us, I hope you can come back some day and that you will recommend us to friends and family, we will be honored to attend to them with the dedication we attended you!

Take good care we send you ONLY good energy from our little piece of Ecuadorean Paradise!

Fernando and all the staff.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hello Everyone!
I wanted to express my thoughts on Hacienda Zuleta. My sister and I stayed here for 4 days at the beginning of July 2013. We took a 2 hour car ride from Quito and let me tell you was it worth every mile. Driving and coming upon Hacienda Zuelta was something that you dream of or see in the movies. The Gorgeous Majestic landscape accompanied by this old Hacienda and the surrounding town in which it resides. From the moment that we arrived the the moment that we left the service was exceptional. Now as you are reading it must have been amazing given that I am writing this all from memory and it has been over a month now. They offer delicious food, family style gatherings at meals, fantastic service and plenty of activities ( my favorite being the horseback riding some of the best trail riding I have done) All in all if you want to experience something Majestic with OUTSTANDING customer service this is your place. Thank you Zuleta for everlasting memories!! :) :) :) Till the next time

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you so much for your review!! Thank you for up loding your pictures, I loved the one with Fito (my dog) !! I do this very often with him, we just sit at Condor View and just feel the energy of the valley and the views! I love that you loved Zuleta!

Thank you again, please send us all your nice friends and family!!

The best for you and your family in this new year!!

Fernando and all the Staff

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hacienda Zuleta is one of those places you go and the memories linger long after the journey home. The staff is so helpful, accommodations are so exquisite and the meals so outstanding it is hard to identify what part of Zuleta I liked best. We hiked, rode horses, toured the trout farm and cheese factory, all of which are on the property . Fernando, the CEO, personally greeted us and his gracious style permeated his entire staff. Plan on spending at least two or three days there for maximum enjoyment...you will be glad you did

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely..we stayed in a standard room which was perfect
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hola from Zuleta!!

I thank you so much for your review, I love the title!! Zuleta is indeed a SPECIAL place! I am so happy you felt the energy of this place! And your pictures are great, the one I loved the most is the romantic scene at Condor View!! now we will call it the Lovers view point!! :) Sebastian picture in the Cheese factory is to laugh for hours! I will send the link to him!

Take good care and thank you again from all of us at Hacienda Zuleta.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. It takes time to get here but is well worth the effort because you are so well looked after, the landscape is highly photogenic and you can do as much, or as little, as you want to from the huge range of options - the condor rescue project, spectacled-bear spotting, a visit to the cheese factory, horse-riding, exploring the extensive grounds, walking the marked trails, enjoying the local embroidery, going further afield to markets and the edge of volcanoes, or just relaxing. The sense of peace and of history here is almost tangible. It fosters a great sense of well-being. The family and staff are all very friendly, helpful and very good at chatting both formally and informally about the history and work of the hacienda. Our room was not the largest but the bed was very comfortable and the view of surrounding verdant mountains and pastures through the window was wonderful. We are used to altitude and cooler temperatures so were happy to forego the fire and hot water bottles after our first night! The cheery staff were a bit bemused when we turned down their kind offer of extra heating!! Food was plentiful and home-cooked, with tasty fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden. [It was a lot better than much we ate in other haciendas.] Hacienda Zuleta is an ideal place to enjoy Ecuador's countryside at your own pace.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fernando P, Propietario at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for a beautiful review, I am very happy you had a great time, that you were able to control the heating system in your room!! :) .... we like everybody to be happy, well fed and warm!
You can always come back to do the other great activities we have and will have.

Please recommend us with your friends.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights and two full days at this wonderful property and feel that was just the right amount of time. I don't have a lot to add to prior reviews.
Extensive grounds with a lot to see and do. We tried to do some of each-hiking, biking and horseback riding.
The food, mostly harvested from their organic garden, was quite good and we enjoyed that they were local recipes.
Amazing hospitality. All the staff is very helpful and cordial. Fernando, the CEO, was very giving of his time, speaking to us on several occassions despite having a large group of family members visiting.
If I may give one word of warning, however, is that no activities are included in the price of accomodation. I was surprised as this is not an inexpensive place, esp in Ecuador. The rate covers room and meals only. All other activties cost extra. I had not seen this mentioned in other reviews nor could I find this on their website. In fact, even my travel agent told me all was included when I had asked. My agent made good on their commitment but it would have been good to know in advance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JCDoug1
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Doug,

I, and all the staff at Hacienda Zuleta ,thank you for taking the time to write a review about us, and specially for a very generous one! I am very worried and sad that you had the impression that everything was included in our per person rate. I have re checked the info , both in our web and the one we send to all our travel agents, and it states very clearly what we include. I have asked our reservation and in house hosts to re read all the info to see if we can be more specific, specially on what is NOT included and has additional costs for our guests. We are launching our new web and we will make sure that this is VERY clear for you , our guests, the prime reason we are in this fantastic business of making people HAPPY!

Thank Doug for this comment, it is this comments that help us be better, and always strive to be the best that we can be. But always with our guests and family in our minds.

Take good care and hoping you and your wife are well, and that you took beautiful memories about our little paradise in the Ecuadorean Andes!!!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The best horses! Great horseback riding, food and hospitality. Antonio was an excellent guide. On our way up to the Paramo he stopped by his house and his wife brought out a warm poncho for my daughter. Loved the locally produced food. Our rooms had fireplaces that were lit each night. Beautiful hand embroidered fabrics in every room. Our trip was in 2006, great to see this wonderful place is still going.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

THANK YOU!! I have loved that after so many years you still remember us ! you should come back, we are still going on and very strong indeed!! We remain the same beautiful place, with great food, great horses, great views, great people and most importantly with great positive energy!

Come back to Zuleta!

The bet to you and thank you again for writing this review.

Fernando and all the staff!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

You forget the hustle and bustle of Quito and the rest of the world when you are here. The hacienda is a magical property ... and one that takes time to explore. We were only here for two nights, 1 full day, but we made the most of it. Our top priority was the condor reserve and the embroidery co-operative in Zuleta. Best way of doing it: a carriage ride! It took us about 4 hours and what a lovely pace. Rodrigo had a blanket (altitude is about 9,500') for us, and off we went to the condor reserve, the hacienda property and then into town to the co-operative (NOT to be missed). An absolutley wonderful experience. We explored the farm on our own (garden, calves and horse areas) and watched the cows head to the barn for milking. Our room was lovely - with a patio - and it was super to have the bed warmed with hot water bottles. The firebox was lit each evening - and it sure did heat up the room! Food was adequate - nothing really stellar, but good. They have horses, moutain bikes and many trails to explore. A gem. Make sure you dress for the altitude - and practice your Spanish.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hola from Zuleta,

Thank you for your review, all of us are very happy you had a great time at Zuleta, I am sorry your sleep and service was not excellent, please do tell me what happened , what went wrong , it is mine, and all our staff, commitment to always give our best so your stay with us is fantastic!
If you want , please write to me at fernando@haciendazuleta.com

I send you good "condor" energy!