“Fantastic new owners”

The Cottages at Clear Lake
Winnipeg
“Fantastic new owners”
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed here last year when it was Johnson Cabins and were very disappointed in the cabin. We heard they had new owners so we thought we would give it another try, and it was fantastic!!!!! If you are looking for a modern Cabin this is not, but for us Cabins aren't supposed to be modern, it is very cute and as clean as it could get being these owners are still trying to replace things. It felt clean, and I didn't have to worry about sitting on the couch or making sure I had my shoes on when walking around the cabin. Yes the pool is a little run down, but it was clean! We had some cooler days so they had the pool closed, but when the sun came out and our girls wanted to go swimming, they saw us checking out the pool and came out to open it just for us, they did this for us twice. These people are going above and beyond what they really need to, GREAT PEOPLE!!!! They even offered us to keep the cabin for the day that we checked out because they knew we were going to be around for the entire day. These cabins are fantastic and please give them a try!!!! They have great BBQ to use, and we also had a fire pit! We had a fantastic trip and stay while in Clear Lake!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ktstrickland

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Thompson, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I needed a cottage on short notice, so I was advised to call The Cottages at Clear Lake. The person on the other end of the phone was very friendly and accommodating. We rented a three bedroom cottage for one week. We were very pleased, the cottage was clean, and we were provided with a fit pit and bar-b-que. The beds were awesome, and the location was great. The kitchen is not too well stocked with dishes, but we made due. The furniture is pretty old but seeing that the new owners have only had the place since May I think they are doing the best they can. I can't imagine taking on such a big venture as the new owner have and look forward to seeing the finished results. Great job & best of luck!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kimber03
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Stayed at The Cottages at Clear Lake with my spouse and young child. It was our first time back to Clear Lake after more than 10 years. I was so saddened to see the awful state of The Cottages at Clear Lake! I used to stay here when it was Johnston's Cabins, I understand that the state of the grounds and cabins is not the fault of the current owners and wish them the best of luck. However, next time I will spend my money at one of the other rental companies. Every other company has clearly put energy and money into the upkeep of their grounds and cottages, and therefore it's a much, much better value for your money. When we arrived, I was told we were given an upgrade, which was a lie. We were told upon reservations that we would have a specific cottage, which is the one we got. The cottage was dirty, and smelled. The pool area was not well maintained, and the pool looked dirty. We had trouble checking out. The other companies had people enjoying the pool, grounds, BBQing outside, playing. It felt like we were the only ones at The Cottages, other than 2 very yappy dogs in the next cabin. While the beds are comfortable, we were told we'd have a queen sized bed, and it was actually a double.

I can't wait to go back to Clear Lake, and stay at one of the well kept, modern and comfortable cabins offered by a different company. I would stay here again in 5 years when it's up to par. I really wanted to like it here!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank LICL
Cottages_at_CL, General Manager at The Cottages at Clear Lake, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
Thank you for your review.

It is an absolute priority that our guests are provided with care, courtesy and comfort. I invite you to call me at 1-888-848-2524 so we may address your concerns.

Since receiving keys to the resort less than four months ago we’ve replaced dozens of hot water tanks, installed several new roofs, upgraded electrical wiring and installed safety equipment in every cabin. We also replaced the pool pump, sand filter, pool heater and have hired a professional to sandblast and resurface the pool before we open in the spring.

The work continues as I write, with many more improvements scheduled in upcoming months. I genuinely appreciate the support and understanding of our guests as we journey through this process together.

Over the course of this summer I had the pleasure of seeing our guests enjoy family gatherings, tell stories around the campfire, toss a football and cook mouth-watering barbecues. It was a pleasure to help set the scene for many wonderful memories and I look forward to doing so once again in 2011.

Natasha Kaminsky
General Manager/Proprietor
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I wish the new owners all the best in their new venture managing this cottage/hotel property! You are off to a great start.

We found the customer service to be excellent; from working with us on the dates that we wanted, to ensuring that all appliances worked well, to saving the day by providing the salt and pepper, to coming over for a bonfire, beer and great conversation!

The cabin is neat and clean, and the beds were great!! Big beautiful duvets that hug you to sleep and leave you well rested in the morning!

It was great being guest #1 - I have pictures!!! Thanks Melanie!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank JohnMcAllister911
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasagaming
Elkhorn Resort Spa & Conference Centre
Honeycomb Bed & Breakfast
Fairmount Bed & Breakfast
Fairmount Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 2 in Minnedosa
No photo provided
Arrowhead Family Resort
#2 of 2 in Wasagaming

Been to The Cottages at Clear Lake? Share your experiences!