Elkhorn Resort Spa & Conference Centre
$110
Westway Inn(Neepawa)
TripAdvisor
All reviewselkhorn resortgolf coursepool areamineral poolclear lakethe outdoor hot tubriding mountain national parkspring breakgames roombuffalo barhorseback ridingbisonget awaytime sharehotel roomthe main hotelpull out couch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2012

made a visit after a return trip to Manitoba...last visit in 1997. This resort used to be a great experience and now looks run down and the restaurant seems to serve shady truck stop food. It was kind of depressing to see such an extreme fall from grace.

Shocking

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank trippinghereandthere
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My new husband and I came here in August for our honeymoon. We had booked a standard room for the first night and the honeymoon package for the last part of our stay. Upon arriving we asked if we could have the room that our honeymoon package came with so we wouldn't have to switch rooms the next day. We were given a crisp "no we're booked, here's your key". Ok fine, it was last minute, still would have appreciated better customer service. The room itself was nice, but we quickly discovered the walls were paper thin... all I could hear was screaming kids. The next morning, the hotel staff was knocking on the door at 10am asking if we were finished with the room yet. Checkout was 11. Considering the hotel does seem to have a computer hooked up, I have no idea why they would be doing this. Could they not have asked the front desk which rooms were now empty? The exact same thing happened on our final day.
Throughout our stay I found customer service was hugely lacking. It really made me feel like this resort felt that they didn't need to make this a priority. There was only one person working at the front desk and they seemed over-worked and angry by the time you actually got to them to ask them a question. The restaurant was over-priced and under-staffed.We waited a long time and there was barely anyone in the restaurant.
A note about the spa: It's a great spa - nice amenities etc. However I absolutely hate the mandatory 15% tip. I believe that a tip should be earned and the "personalized" facial I got was definitely not worth the 15% tip. They too, were unorganized and didn't seem to care at all about customers returning.
Riding Mountain Park is an amazing place, lots to do, very beautiful and so worth going to again and again and again. However, next time, I'm going to put my money towards renting a cabin.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cdncouple8
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have heard many great things about Elkhorn Resort over the years, and finally had a chance to stay for a night while in the area on business.

My room was in need of some serious updating. Reminded me of a hotel room from the early 80's. The bathroom was also dated, with terrible shower pressure. Not a fan of the soap and shampoo being attached to the wall either. Beds were pretty comfortable, no complaints about that. The room was also large, so that was a plus.

The resort could also use some additional ice machines. Having to go down 3 floors just to get ice is a hassle. The restaurant was very good, we ate breakfast there and also had some drinks in the lounge the previous night. Very friendly staff in all areas (front desk, restaurant), and this earned the resort a 3/5 rather than a 2/5.

In closing, as the title suggests, this place just didn't live up to all the great things I have heard. Maybe I was staying in an older section, I'm not sure. I doubt I will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent several days in August at this resort in a perfect spot. I was offering a conference, but we still found time for a trail ride-- the stable is very close-- golf at the little nine-hole at the resort (there is a competition-level course a kilometre away), and walks through lovely Riding Mountain National Park. The resort is right in the park and consists of about 60 rooms in a three-story hotel and many two and three-bedroom chalets with views of the horse paddocks and forests. The new chalets, where we stayed, feature full kitchens, decks with views, fireplace and all the comforts of home. Our two-bedroom had a jet-tub, two full bathrooms and a dining area big enough for a family dinner. We hosted friends every night.
The dining room at the main hotel has an electic menu with some local fare, such as bison, pickerel, and elk, and a fine view of the horse fields.
There is an on-site, full-service spa, but we didn't try it out. I heard the mineral pool is very relaxing, and services were up to the best city spas.
We plan to go back for fun, when we can really relax in the quiet beauty of western Manitoba. The conference service was great-- well-organized, cheerful, flexible.

Room Tip: The two-bedroom newer chalets are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is my second review of Elkhorn. My husband and I (in our mid 30s) come here every September with his parents since 2002-2003. We always stay in the 3 bedroom chalet (with the exception of 1 year we stayed in the new chalets with sides A and B) through RCI timeshare.
We stayed in chalet 622.

What we love:

-After the Labour Day long weekend, the crowds leave and it is very peaceful here. We make much use of the outdoor deck when weather permits.
-3 bedrooms/2bath set up.
-Well equiped kitchen with stove/oven, microwave, coffee maker, plates, utensils, mixing bowls, etc.
-Comfortable seating in the living room.
-Comfortable, if somewhat firm, beds.
-Plush pillows.
-Easy10-15 minute walk into the town of Wasagaming.
-Fireplace for those chilly days. We used this twice this week and it made the place so cozy.

What could be improved upon:

-Portable fans in every room, not just the masterbedroom. Some nights get very warm, even with the window open.
- Upgrade/new hideabed/sofa. Ours had seen better days and the cushion was beginning to fail.

Overall, the chalet was clean and well stocked with toilet paper, towels, garbage bags, dishcloths, dish towels, dish soap, etc.

We will be back next year.

Room Tip: Look at the site map on line before booking your chalet. Be aware that chalet 622 has no neighbours on one side but is next to a gravel "road" that is used on occasion by staff in work vehicles to pick up firewood. Other people sometimes use this road too when walking the property.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family