“Unenjoyable fly trap”

Elkhorn Resort Spa & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wasagaming
“Unenjoyable fly trap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Drove for 3ish hours to get to the resort. Its in a federal park so we had to pay for park entry. Not the Elkhorns problem, but it would have been nice if they would have mentioned that at the time of booking. Drive into the parking lot and check in. We got room 115 which faces the stables (extra $10 for a stable view over a parking lot view which they did tell me about at time of booking and I agreed to). Get into the room and the first thing we noticed was the smell. We thought someone had taken a dump in the room. We lived with the smell for the entire time we stayed. We could hear the plumbing from next door too. So I guess the smell from next door was wafting into the room through the toilet. Room was ok. A little dated but a nice new flat screen tv. Fridge included which was unexpected and nice. First night And second day went well overall. The third day ruined it all. all the seasonal staff were leaving so they were running a bit short.

We placed a room service card on the door sun night to have room service delivered between 8-830. We got up at 7:45 to get ready for breakfast and to go on a horseback ride that I had booked as a suprise for my husband. It was our first wedding anniversary and he has wanted to go horseback riding for several months. By 9 breakfast had not arrived. I called the front desk an the transferred me to the mountain grill. The man on the phone told me they did not have an order for our room. I told him I placed the room service card on the door the night before. He said they only has one from room 114. I said can you please check again. He did and found my order. He apologized and offered to send the order down. I said not to worry as we would just come to the restaurant ourselves. Then I phoned elkhorn riding adventures that was located next door. I asked to confirm what time my ride was at. The guy on the phone told me it had been cancelled because of a possibility of rain. WHERE THEY EVEN GOING TO TELL US?? or just let people show up and look like fools? This is what the whole trip was planned around, and they cancelled it on us. And they don't do rides on Sunday. So the plan was we were going to check out and then ride. Nope, cancelled. Two strikes. Disappointed we go to breakfast. Order our meal and wait 25 minutes for food. We're already grumpy. When it comes, my husband has a PIECE OF PAPER melted in his cheese. Not a little piece, but a whole square of paper on a piece of ham. The paper they use to separate the meat when they prep it. Let the manager know and he offers us 10% off. THEY SERVED
HIM PAPER!!!! How insulting.My eggs Benny was pretty gross as well. The buffet the day before was really good. Went to the room to check out. Looks like they billed us wrong, a matter of 5 dollars or so, I couldn't even bother to question it. Go to the spa. Nice, quiet... And now I am going to tell u about my title. There are flies EVERYWHERE! the bar, the restaurant, the rooms and yes, even the spa has flies in it. Pretty relaxing, eh? And not just a little, mass amounts of flies. I had to splash a fly out of their mineral pool. The spa seemed really expensive for the teatments. The staff were pleasant and the mountain grill gave us a free "paperless" lunch for the trouble. And the spa charges an extra 15% gratuity. $300 for us both to get an hour treatment.

We couldn't wait to get out. I think the moral is that the place and area are nice but don't use ANY of their services. Can not be trusted.

The best part is Kim in the bar. She is a diamond in the rough. And her red headed partner (sorry didn't get his name) was also really fun and good to us as well. My husband says he looks like Danny Bonaduce.

Not recommending this place one bit.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Skinrg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Elkhorn Resort is our home resort with Vacations for Life. The resort is close to home for our family and we always have a great time when we stay with our two kids. Just like any place you tavel to it's good to know were to go and where to avoid.

There are many things to do on site at the resort and in Wasagaming and Riding Mountain National Park. We always stay in a challet and we always find that they are kept clean. Before we became part of Vacations for Life with RCI, we did stay in the hotel for a wedding for a family member. The hotel room was large, had comfortable beds, and had a fireplace that is very similar to fireplaces that are in the challets. Hotel staff have always been friendly, helpful and answer our questions. Staff come promptly to our challet any time we have required replacement or missing items for the challet. To date we have not had an issue with either a hotel room or a challet being dirty. We have stayed both in the older A frame challets and the newer challets.

Our children like to play board games in the evening before bed. The hotel used to keep a fairly good selection of games behind the desk based on first come first served. The games have been moved to the play area downstairs in the hotel and are not really managed. We were disappointed this summer, so we will make sure that we take a couple of family favorites in the fall when we return. The front desk also has some life jackets for little ones in the pool area. We have been very happy to use these over the years.

What is extremely valuable to know is if you are wanting to visit the Solstice Spa on location, they are extremely busy. I book spa treatments weeks or even months in advance before our visit. If you neglect to do this, you likely will be disappointed even in their slower seasons. I have booked a massage more than a month before a visit and they called me at home before our visit having to cancel my treatment due to unforseen circumstances. They did however, more than make it up to me with a different treatment that was complimentary. When I have neglected to make an appointment and have been unable to book a treatment, I have just gone in to soak in the spa. It is always tranquil. The spa treatments that I have received here have been among the best that I have had anywhere.

A great place to find out about park questions and activities to do in the area is with the staff in the Museum in Wasagaming. There is a great marsh walk right in town that is very eco educational for all ages. There are great hiking trails and a lookout tower further north in the park that if you are lucky enough to go to during the autumn, the view of the changing leaves is spectacular. Make sure to visit the Wishing Well in the tranquil little garden just a couple of minutes away from the resort. There is tennis in Wasagaming, bike rentals, great little shops, and a log cabin movie theatre that our kids love. The beach is another favorite spot for our family with different types of rentals for the water. We have already built a lifetime of great memories in the area.

We found that we have saved money by shopping for groceries before we come up to the park and preparing our own meals in the challet. Any items we have forgotten can usually be purchased in Onanole. Over the years we have eaten in some of the restaurants in the area. TR McCoy's has had great food every time we have been there, we will return. The kids always ask to go to McTavish's for ice cream, so that too is a family favorite. We have been to the Mountain Grill Restaurant in the Elkhorn Resort a couple of times and we more than likely will not return. The first time we ate in, the food was...meh. This summer we ordered take out to our challet. I walked it back without checking the order to see if it was correct. After my return to the challet, the order was wrong and I walked it back. I was very pleasant to the waitress about the whole thing, and she snapped at ME very rudely. Hmmm...not so good P.R. Thanks, but no thanks! We come well prepared with a meal plan and the challet's are well stocked with kitchen items.

We will be returning in the fall for our daughter's birthday. She wants to go on a trail ride and sit by the hotel fire pit for a bon fire to roast marshmallows. I checked out the bakery in town and a couple of other places to see if I would be able to order a birthday cake at this time and I couldn't find anyone that could that late in the season. So I know that I need to come prepared with cake mix and cake pans! We look forward to making some more great memories.

We will return again and again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bonnie H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Elkhorn is a great place to stay, year round. With the nearby town of Wasagaming, with businesses open from May long to late September, hiking trails, skiing trails, horseback riding, Clear Lake and at least three golf courses within 10 kms, it's a great place to go. The rooms are reflective of the country atmosphere, and they're comfortable. Getting the stable view is worth the extra money. As as family, the restaurant is still affordable, plus each room has a small fridge for keeping snacks on hand. The pool is large, with two spacious hot tubs - one indoors, one outdoors. Overall, a great place to stay for a weekend or longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a stable-side room, and to be on the highest floor for the better view - otherwise you'r...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Winnipeg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed at the Elkhorn Resort for one night as part of a golf trip. Hotel is located just outside of Wasagaming in Riding Mountain National Park, close to the Clear Lake Golf Course.

The hotel is run-down, with frayed carpet, poor lighting, and is very expensive considering what you get.

We had a large room, but since it was located in the lower level, it was dark and slightly damp.

Unfortunately, it's the only "nice" hotel in the area, hence the premium price, so there is no interest for them to update the
rooms.

We did not try the spa, pool, or horseback riding, so no comments on those features.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank JLA10
Muenster Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

There are a variety of units available from hotel rooms to cabins. We stayed in a 1 bedroom duplex style cabin. It had a full kitchen with all utensils, dish soap and even laundry soap. We shared the washer and dryer with tenants on the other side. They asked for an assessment to be done about 24-48 hours after arriving so they could fix any problems. I commented that there were no hooks in the batroom (as I often do) and when we came back from our bike ride the next morning a beautiful hook was installed on the bathroom door! Staff are friendly and helpful. There is a small pool and hot tubs, (indoor and outdoor) as well as an exercise room and ping pong table. There is a riding stable, tennis court and golf course on the property and Riding Mountain National Park is across the highway. Bikes are very expensive to rent so take your own. Cross Country ski trails in the winter. Lots to do and see in the area. Sunsets on the lake are stunning. Great resort for winter and summer.
The only dissapointment was we could not get internet in our unit, so we took our computers over to the main building to go online.

Room Tip: If you want internet access in your room you have to stay in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Brandon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed in a hotel room at the resort on a Sunday night. Room smelled musty, carpet was dated, worn and looked dirty. Bedding was worn. Screen door on Patio doors did not lock. Walls were in need of paint/wallpaper. Bed was uncomfortable. The cloth chair was stained and wet. (YUCK!) We went to dining room for dinner. After we were seated the waitress told us it was BBQ and that we could not order off the menu. I was not that hungry and did not want alot of food to eat. |The hotel room was approx $220 and the dinner was approx $35. The resort is getting run down. We did not feel that this was worth the money we paid for a 5 star resort and we will not be going back any time soon!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Blondi63
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed with my husband & 6 yr old for 2 nts. We payed $150/nt for a room with a king sized bed, fireplace & pull-out sofa bed. Initially we were given Rm 118 what they call the main floor. However you had to go down a set of stairs & your patio was below ground, dark, dingy & solid concrete with maybe a sliver of the outside you can see between the bushes & the concrete wall.

The room had a disgusting smell of cigarrette smoke and was located at the end of the long hallway near what I think was the hotel's refuse area. My daughter noticed the carpet moving & we found an army of ants going between the bed area & the bathroom. We immediately called to relocate & we were given a room just down the hall Rm 110 which was identical only without the ants. Since it was only 2 nts., we took the swap.

The place definitely needs a lot of updating. & it is nothing like the pictures they show on their website. If you can help it, stay at a place inside the townsite of Wasagaming. For a few more dollars you'll probably have a better experience.

I do have to say that we enjoyed the pool area. The weather outside was cold & rainy so we appreciated the indor pool & hotubs. The sauna however was not operational.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank twigsnbongo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasagaming
Honeycomb Bed & Breakfast
#10 of 19 in Barrie
The Cottages at Clear Lake
The Cottages at Clear Lake
#7 of 8 in Wasagaming

Been to Elkhorn Resort Spa & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!