“Exquisite”
Review of The Sonora Room

The Sonora Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sonora Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 42 Restaurants in Oliver
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Black Sage Road
Description: The South Okanagan has gained a well deserved reputation as a desirable destination for tourists seeking an agricultural and culinary experience. The Sonora Room at Burrowing Owl Estate Winery features prominently in this regard with its epicurean excellence, superb service, relaxed style and scenic splendour. The restaurant overlooks 146 acres of picturesque vineyard from the patio or inside the warm and inviting dining room. The philosophy of the talented culinary team is to embrace the opportunity to showcase many of the South Okanagan’s local producers. Dishes are created that utilize an array of local organic produce, seasonal fruits and artisan cheeses, and pair perfectly with Burrowing Owl's award winning wines. The exclusive wine list includes a selection of Burrowing Owl's current vintages, and library wines that are no longer publicly available for sale. Creative cuisine, impeccable service and a beautiful venue highlight the great agricultural diversity of the region.
Vancouver, Canada
“Exquisite”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We arrived shortly after sundown at 8pm and were greeted with a spectacular view outside. We were sat inside (at the recommendation of the hostess due to mosquitoes, whom eventually pushed the outside patrons indoors).

We had a bottle of the 2008 Merlot. Shortly after our first few sips, a little fruit fly dropped in to the bottle for a dip. The server quickly whisked the bottle away and brought back a covered decanter, fruit fly free.

For an appetizer, we shared a vanilla bean cured wild Okanagan salmon. The presentation was top notch, the vegetables were fresh, and the salmon was outstanding. Highly recommend this appetizer.

As for the entrees, my fiancee had the oven roasted lamb sirloin. The lamb was roasted to perfection and was quite flavourful. I had the oven roasted fraser valley duck breast. I generally almost always get duck everywhere I go, and it's usually a 50/50 split on my experiences, some good - some bad. However, on this instance, it was absolutely done right. There was the perfect amount of skin/fat. The meat was tender, juicy, and very tasty. And the temperature was done right.

For dessert, we enjoyed the lemon and okanagan goatcheese cake. This was a first for me, and I loved it.

Overall, our experience was wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice night out.

Medicine Hat, Canada
“Simply Wonderful”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The whole package..fantastic food, great views, and super service by Brian at supper and the next day by Ady at lunch.....we'll certainly be back!

Kelowna, Canada
“Did not hit expectations”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Bases on my research, the cost of their rental units and their own promotion, I expected 5 star food and service. The setting and view is stunning, on-line reservation is slick, good variety on the menu. Service is okay. We had the cheese tray to start...cheese was good quality, some of the fruit was damaged and moldy. Scallops were excellent. The duck was crispy, as described on the menu, but had a boiled texture to the meat. All in an okay experience.

Sooke, Canada
“outstanding menu where chef delivered”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Exceptional food plus sauces and all 4 people in our party ordered different items with memorable results.The meal was finished off with the best cherry sorbet I have ever eaten.

Cambridge, Canada
“Delicious Main....Amazing View”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I ate at the restaurant at the Burrowing Owl Winery for lunch. The view from the patio where we were sat, was breath-taking. I ordered the Baby Artesian Green Salad, but it was really lacking in dressing. My husband ordered the Vine Ripened Tomato and Organic Basil Salad with local goat cheese. Usually when this type of sadad is ordered, each tomato slice has a slice of goat cheese to go with it - this plate did not (although flavour was very good). We split the Grilled Skirt Steak with Nugget Potato Salad, Mushroom Vinaigrette, and Tomato Shallot Marmalade. This was the highlight - a delicious alternative to "regular" potato salad and the steak was fantastic – a wonderful marinade and grilled perfect!