“A Very Different Winery”

Rustico Farm & Cellars
Ranked #6 of 53 things to do in Oliver
Nanaimo, Canada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A Very Different Winery”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

A great experience for us, and another couple. You are in a western theme, all kinds of antiques. Lots of collectables outside, and in. Inside the bar man "Bruce" pored the wine. The tasting room was in a saloon. We bought "Mother Lode Merlot", and the "Threesome". They also had a couple of dogs, with bandanas on. Out side you also could sit under a pergola. A must winery to see.

1 Thank Giraffes17

Edgewood,was
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique, entertaining and fun winery”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We pulled up to this winery about 10 minutes until closing. The grounds are very intriguing...a sod house, long underwear on the clothesline, wooden carriages...Bruce, the owner, greeted us and welcomed us in to the "saloon" like tasting room for what we thought would be a quick tasting. Bruce proceeded to go through many of his wines and mixed up a couple of wine cocktails he had invented for the summer months...including a rose shake! We were there over an hour and had a wonderful and memorable visit. (Good wine, too.) We were there in June, and were the only tasters at that time, so we know we got special attention.

Burnaby, Canada
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 267 helpful votes
“A very unique place and visit.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was a first-time visit for us. What we found - a very "unique-looking" place - with its rustic, wooden buildings, and grounds displays of many and various kinds of 'antiques', and assorted farm & ranch and other memorabilia. The whole setup could/might look like a "junk yard" to some visitors to the winery, but to others, a rather fun and entertaining display of "stuff & such". We found it quite fun to see and look around, and were happy that we had chosen to visit.

Our visit started with finding nobody there to greet us -- the door to the tasting room was locked - a sign on the door stated that if it was locked, to knock on the door of the house, which we did (greeted by two very large, but friendly dogs on the way to the house) and were told - "I'll be over shortly." After a few minutes we were greeted by the owner and the two dogs, and welcomed into the tasting area - while he set up, we went upstairs and to check out the art displays (paintings, pottery, and etc., by local artists, on display and for sale).

What I tasted: Gewurztraminer, a red blend, and rose. All were very dry, and I enjoyed each. I was not quite ready to purchase though, as we had other wineries and wines on our list to see and try, and I did not want to 'rush' my purchases. The owner host seemed to become a little perturbed with my decision not to purchase immediately -- I listened to him, and his 'push' (keeping my cool, but biting my tongue a little to do so!!), and then explained my position as a customer to his establishment. We came to better-understand each other, and agreed that I would consider what I had tasted, and return later in the week should I decide to include some of his wines in my purchases this trip.

Rustico was definitely an experience quite unlike any of the other wineries we visited in the Osoyoos/Oliver area this trip. We enjoyed stopping there, seeing the place, and I did enjoy the wines tasted. However, we did not return to purchase - there are so many wines and wineries to choose from - Rustico will be put on a short list for our next visit.

2 Thank johnny2bc
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A winery you will never forget”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a terrific experience at Rustico Farm & Cellars. This is in part due to the great job that the winery has done branding itself as a Tasting Saloon with all of the rich history to go with it. It is completely different than any other winery in the region or in BC for that matter. It also has owner and marketer extraordinaire Bruce Fuller going for it. Spend 30 minutes with Bruce tasting wine and talking about history, the wines, the ideas and the interesting names and you will be hooked. Maybe even before you taste it!

We tasted at least 6 wines and chose a few favorites. The wines each have a distinctive name and accompanying story. The style of tasting wine at Rustico is truly unique. The short tumbler glasses and the shot-style pour are different than anything you will experience at other wine rooms. Which is what makes it memorable.

At the end of our tasting Bruce mixed up a batch of his special “Saloon Sally Shakes”. Made with a half bottle of “Saloon Sally (Dry Cabernet Franc Rose $16.95) and 4 scoops of ice cream it made a terrific adult milkshake. We bought 2 bottles of Rose and stopped for Haagan Dazs on the way home. We also enjoyed “Isabelle’s Poke” (Pinot Gris $17.95), “Doc’s Buggy” (Pinot Noir $24.95), and “Last Chance”, a blend of Zinfandel, Merlot, Zweigelt, Blaufrankisch and Chancellor ($19.95). If you get to the winery quick you may be able to take advantage of the same terrific case price special that we got.

Bruce Fuller brings the wild west to life. He had a terrific idea to create a wine experience different from the rest and has succeeded by not missing a detail. This is a must visit winery on the Okanagan wine trail.

Chase, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Better the first time”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a good memory of our visit to Rustico about a year ago and thought it would be fun to visit again. Last time we enjoyed the spiel and the wine and bought several bottles.This trip both the server and the wine seemed a little lacking.

Visited May 2013