Brynhonddu Country House Bed & Breakfast
The Angel(Abergavenny)
$184
$180
Premier inn Abergavenny Hotel(Llanfoist)(Great Value!)
$92
$93
$90
Travelocity
$351
The Pilgrim Hotel(Much Birch)(Great Value!)
$75
$69
  • Breakfast included
Riverside Hotel(Monmouth)
$70
TripAdvisor
All reviewslong driveb blocal knowledgeone nightpandy inngreat breakfastbeautiful surroundingsbreakfast ingredientsshare their knowledgethe pubfriendly hostsa lovely stayfront doorevening mealhistorycharactermountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2010

It was a bit difficult to find our way, but once we were there, we were treated to an extraordinary stay. Keith and Carol are most welcoming and anxious to make our stay memorable. They are more than willing to share their knowledge of area history as well as local amenities, from where to get the best food, to where to get the best beer. Keith's breakfasts are a dining delight. It was our last night in Wales, and a most pleasant memory.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We arrived from Orlando Florida and loved the restful atmosphere of this B&B. Our host and hostess were a world of information regarding the surrounding area, where to eat, hike, enjoy the countryside. Also gave us other information we asked for including local history, geology, maps to direct us around. Coming from the USA, we loved the helpfulness of the owners. I would highly recommend to anyone from another country with little local knowledge.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We chose this B&B for it's location and value. Did not know what to expect when we got there. Run by quite friendly couple and helpful in most ways one can imagine. If you are expecting a 'leave me alone I am the guest' treatment or if you are a 'touch me not' and cringe at people contact - forget it. They are friendly and they will talk to you and the owner Keith will tell you about the local history. Anyone there will do the same. We felt very much at home there. The property is offset from the road and that is it's greatest plus point. If you don't like walking and hate single track roads this is not for you. Dont believe your TomTom - it will lead you astray - use a map instead. My family and I do intend to go back there provided we get the opportunity - especially for walking on to Offas Dyke pathway.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BristleWalker
Reviewed September 15, 2009

First of all, Brynhonddu is not my first B&B and will definitely not be the last one. During several other stays in the UK, I was always satisfied with other B&Bs and happy to receive such a warm welcome so that I am still definitely convinced that this is the best way to travel through the country. However, now I had to learn that bad examples might meet you on your way as well.

When we arrived, our host and hostess had some heavy renovation works done in their „beautiful“ 16th century house (bluntly speaking, to us it did not seemed to be well-kept). Walls were painted and the smell of paint was penetratingly, especially in the breakfast room. The carpet in the hall was covered with dust, some doors were missing and wall paint tins were stored in the kitchen next to the fridge.

Our room, though small, was clean and tidy so that I of course didn’t want to object and decided not to complain first of all.

However, a bad surprise followed the next day - when we returned to our accomodation a little earlier as probably expected, we found out that renovation works unfortunately did not stop in front of our room. After entering the room we only had to discover that our stuff was poorly covered by a bed sheet, as some cableworks and drilling was just being done in our room. To us, however, they never ever wasted a word on that!

Even though, the landlady explained that a change of the room was not possible, as some other guest were to arrive (I suppose some family members, as they told us that we were the only guests and that their son would visit them two days afterwards). They suggested to reduce the amount due, however, after that we definitely had enough and left.

Eventually, I just can join some of the others, also with regard to the landlord who seemed to us rather strange, and say NEVER AGAIN Brynhonddu, but UK again and again ;-)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steffsgina
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Its true the somewhat eccentric owner likes to natter on about history, though he's harmless. The single room is tiny (ie single bed plus 18" carpet : thats it, no storage...) with no direct window, and the e/suite is a miniscule shower/loo.
The main problem if you are walking is that its a good mile and a half uphill from the village (for an evening meal), so its a daunting trek if you've been walking all day as I had. (He did offer me a lift down , but its the coming back that would be awful) . Average breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo