“Rip off Xmas party evening!!”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Pandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Along with my work colleagues, we paid £25 a head to attend our work's Xmas do, this year at The Park hotel. It was a Michael Jackson Tribute night which promised to be a bit of fun. First impression was the room was tiny with about 100 people crammed in on 3 long tables. Once in your seat, there was no going anywhere! The meal was pretty grim. A small and very unimpressive turkey dinner with potatoes, carrots and sprouts.....no broccoli or cranberry sauce. Unbelievably, as we ate the staff came in between us and collected used Christmas cracker rubbish putting it into black bags! It was reminiscent of a equally grim easy jet flight.....budget in every sense.
We had to ask for water to be brought to the tables, this took some time and arrived after we finished the meal. As soon as our forks hit our plates, the eagle eyed staff pounced to collect our plates. Our desserts were brought in an equally unceremonious fashion. We then had to ask, then wait for some cream to be brought to somehow make the bone dry chocolate gateaux edible. Some gave up waiting and got on with it. One small jug between 14people. No coffees or after dinner mints brought.
When dinner was cleared in record breaking time, lights were dimmed for the Michael Jackson tribute act. This was fairly entertaining, it was so bad it was good! If we weren't trapped in our seats like sardines, we might even have opted for a dance but instead we stayed put. Other party goers closer to the dance floor got up to boogie.
I was a little curious as to the group of young people in coats that gathered just in the room outside. They were clearly not paying guests but could've either been staff clocking off, jubilant as to their speedy service, local oiks or a group of confused residents wondering what the high pitched wailing was.
All in all, the experience was quite depressing. Glum, disinterested staff, poor food, poor venue and a questionable tribute act. I think this may well be the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to spend an evening of my life. To think that I paid £25 for this privilege adds insult to injury.
Don't go there!! Never!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank juelee

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed on a work trip. 2nd visit for me.
The building is very cold in areas, can imagine its a nightmare to heat as the building is so big.
Evening meal was good.
Room comfy, small but warm, and good value for money at £40.00. Breakfast, poor, beans on toast, a spoon on beans on thin white bread. Ceral and cooked breakfast, white toast, nothing very special.

The biggest negative for me was the lack of customer service. Staff were bord and seemed uninterested. I was told my key was in the room door, so made my own way up.
I would stay again as its cheap, but if I was wanting a hotel for a weekend away as a treat, there would be better in the area.

Room Tip: Room 6 - single warm, small but okay!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tobyson
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Food was excellent, had chicken which was cooked perfectly, chocolate gateau was amazing, service was good, friendly staff, made us feel welcome. perfect venue for weddings and functions. Attended a Karen carpenter tribute night, not my kind of music but was invited to my husbands staff party but was very enjoyable and had a great night. Would highly recommend to anyone thinking of going.
My only slight problem I had was we didn't get much veg with our chicken dish. Just one piece of broccoli.
Would Definately go again

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Three of us wanted a hotel in this area for one night and picked the Park Hotel. Room very adequate, dinner good, breakfast excellent. Really good value for money. (Why do I have to right more just to fill the space?)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nigel B
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was walking Offa's Dyke from North to South and my wife was driving. She arrived at the Park Hotel before me and was shown to our room, by very welcoming staff. I contacted my wife to pick me up from the path and then realised it was only some 500 metres off the path.The hotel is in a great location for those walking the path and I would recommend it highly. Our room was large with lovely comfortable clean beds. We had an evening meal in the restaurant, which was great and then retired to the bar, where we found the local company to be very friendly. The breakfast was excellent, in fact, everything about our stay could not be faulted. £80.00 B & B in lovely surroundings, go for it!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnWilliams9
Reviewed September 14, 2012

In all honesty this was a lot better than we expected. We were expecting the type of overpriced hotel with poor food that you so often get in remote locations where there is limited choice. We were though pleasantly surprised. All the staff we dealt with were really friendly and our luggage had been taken up to our room. Yes it was £90 for the room B&B, but we got a weekend BB&D rate (had to ask for it) that made it not an expensive option overall. The room at the front of the hotel was large and comfortable with tea/coffee and an en suite bathroom. The way the en suite had been carved out of the room taking out one of the two front windows made the bed area further back into the room a bit dull and they could have done with better lighting, but apart from that the room was really good. The evening meal was good value, ample and tasty, rather than exceptional, with plenty of vegetables thrown in at no cost. The cooked breakfast used good quality ingredients, although as in most of the places we stayed the cereals was bog standard box fare and there was little for anyone who did not want a cooked breakfast. Overall, we would happily stay there again if walking through.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StaresDevon
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We attended a fantastic wedding, the setting beautiful, Pims and canapes were lovely. The wedding meal was disappointing...
1.pate with melba toast/side salad,the melba toast has been put on the salad so it was soft, just chucked on the plate, but good portion of pate.
2.The main meal was overall good and hot, but only the choice of veg, was carrots and cauliflower.
3.The cheesecake....the cheapest nastiest available. We joked it was Tesco value or Iceland 3 for a £
The place itself is lovely and clean, plenty of parking, and fantastic attentive staff.

We paid £80.00 for a double to stay the night, again clean and a comfy bed, but when I made coffee in our room all the milk supplied had gone off. When we went down to breakfast it was self service and there was very limited cereals and no bowls to eat it from when we arrived, no fruit, no yogurt, so we went straight for the full English which was waitered... I was half way through and found several stands of black hair in mine, which was quickly replaced. I went up to refill our coffee (which was not good anyway and it came out of pump vacuum flask, as did the tea !!!) and the juice and both had run out.There was only one chap waitering and felt he was stretched enough as it was, so did not bother him anymore for more. There was nobody in reception when we left and had to search for someone to give the room key to.
I felt for the money these little things should not have happened, I have stayed in cheaper and better....overall I would not pay to go there again, pity cos that part of the country is absolutely stunning....but The Park is not value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jiffkitten
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pandy
Abergavenny Hotel
The Park Hotel
The Park Hotel
#3 of 5 in Pandy
Brynhonddu Country House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!