“This is a review for The Rising Sun Campsite”
Review of The Rising Sun

The Rising Sun
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We booked to stay at The Rising Sun Campsite just for a few nights to have a break for my partner who is undergoing cancer treatment at the moment, the campsite was well set out with large pitches running up the right hand side and across the top of the field, part of the left hand side and the centre is reserved for caravans and camper vans with electric hook ups available, there are a few standpipes on the field for filling large containers, the shower/toilet block was very very clean and was cleaned daily while we were there, the shower/toilet block consisted of 2 dish washing sinks with plenty of hot water and the gents shower/toilet area consisted of 3 showers 3 washhand basins and 3 toilets plus urinal and can only assume the ladies to be the same but obviously without the urinal :-) but again all with plenty of hot water and no charge for the use of them either, we didn't use the pub on this visit but by the ammount of locals that turned up when we were there it must be a very popular place to eat and drink, will try next time we visit, our little dog was more than welcome on the site and again there was no charge for her unlike other campsites, the owners were very welcoming as was their lovely springer spaniel and just a foot note that they also offer an ice pack freezing service for which again there is no charge all in all a wonderful relaxing place, the campsite is an ideal location being in the heart of the countryside yet not too far from the main town of Abergavenny should you need supplies, we very much enjoyed our short stay at The Rising Sun Campsite and plan to return very soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike s

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the campsite last weekend and the experience wasn't great.

We were given 'half a hard standing' as the owners hadn't yet had a chance to 'sort the campsite out yet'. The 'half a hard standing' was barely visible for the grass grown over it. The site itself was a muddy quagmire owing to the excessive rain experienced last weekend, naturally the owners cannot control the weather, however, had the site been maintained properly I am confident the state of the pitches, particularly the hard standings and the road would certainly fair better in bad weather.

The toilet/shower block never appeared to be cleaned when we were there and were as muddy as the field on which we were pitched.

In terms of the pub, the landlady certainly wasn't child friendly and was constantly berating our young children for opening the door to get to the play park (swings missing) just outside. Given we were a large group who all had Sunday lunch you would have thought she would have welcomed the business. The Sunday lunch was quantity over quality, loads of meat which was lovely but the vegetables were very undercooked.

All in all, we wont be returning.

My suggestion would be to get the campsite sorted before taking bookings, I don't think it would take a lot but its the little things that make the difference. The site is in a beautiful location and has so much potential.

In addition some of the staff could take a lesson in good customer service given the business they are operating.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheWinters
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Booked a room at the Rising Sun hotel for last weekend through booking.com. Was thoroughly looking forward to it until I fell ill two days prior to arrival and had to cancel. When booking the rising sun hotel through booking.com I saw the hotel was advertised as no cancellation fee. Obviously I never intended to use this right. Little did I realise there were associated terms and conditions in the small print. So I was extremely surprised to see I had been charged the FULL RATE for this after cancelling the hotel room. Even more to my dismay when I saw the room I had cancelled had been filled, profiteering off my cancellation. In response the hotel said they were not interested in waiving the fees.I was looking to rebook the hotel for a weekend in the future but obviously now I have been charged again I will not be using this hotel on my next visit to abergavenny.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jimwalks
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This pub is really great first time went there with our son daughter in law and two small children, the landlady was very welcoming and child friendly. The food was excellent, the next time it was just my husband and myself, the staff we lovely cant do enough for you and again the food was excellent. Whenever we go away in the caravan to stay in the area we will definitely be going for a meal or two at this lovely pub

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Booking easy via email and no deposit required. Easy to find just off the main road through Pandy, we were fortunate that someone had arrived before us and therefore someone was behind the bar to enable us to book in, but there is a mobile number if the door is locked.
Pitch a bit muddy but not surprising as the day before had heavy rain. Being in a motorhome we were allocated a hard standing, an almost must for bad ground too many times we have been towed out :(.
Quiet site and friendly, the only minus for us the pub doesn't accept dogs and we would have liked to eat inside.
Excellent location for walking dogs and you are not far away from Offa's Dyke Path
If you are buying electric don't buy it when booking in, check the meter first, we bought more than we needed and you don't get a refund, there was some credit left from previous occupants.
Plenty of water points, showers good but do get muddy no cleaning mop, plenty of toilets but you may need to take own paper on busy weekends. Washing up facilities with two sinks located inside the shower/toilet block.
Friendly owners who were very visible and on hand when you have a problem

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just came back from a mini break in The Rising Sun, it's a small family run place with friendly and helpful staff. Hotel is above the pub but it's very quiet and clean. Breakfast and homemade meals served in a bar was absolutely delicious! I would recommend this place if you're looking for a quiet mini break close to Brecon Beacons in lovely family atmosphere

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Lush cheap food strongly recommend the hunters chicken ! All home cooked food and lovely welcoming staff can not fault the service at all. A good menu with loads to choose from. Such a lovely country pub with good pub grub.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple