The Bear Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Cowbridge Cabins(Cowbridge)
Victoria Inn(Cowbridge)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshigh streetcar parkquaint hotelsunday lunchfunction roomfour poster bedlots of characterold coaching innwedding venuemain buildingside saladwedding guestslovely atmospherelovely roomvery pleasant staysalmonbooked a table
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The Bear Hotel is a very charming building with a beautiful dining room and a cosy bar but its very overpriced and the rooms badly need updating. The website shows a couple of beautiful bedrooms and it seems there are the only ones with some style.
We were charged £102 for a room that was not worth more than £60. I returned to reception and asked if there was a more contemporary room and was told there was only one left but it was over the bar so might be noisy. I had a look and it was newly decorated but the fan in the bathroom would not turn off so thinking this may keep us awake anyway, we decided to stick with our original room.
The bed was dreadfully uncomfortable and hard as a rock and it had blankets instead of a duvet! Blankets in 2011?? This room was under the stairs to the second floor and its an old building so naturally no sound proofing but we had the noise of people stomping up and down all evening and again from about 6am next morning.
We had dinner in the bar as the restaurant was closed. My husband had chicken and chips which he said was delicious but seemed to be the extent of the chef's skill. I ordered the prawn Thai green curry which had cream instead of coconut milk and not a hint of chilli, lemongrass or lime to be seen and for £10.95 was extortionate.
After a terrible night's sleep we on the awful bed we had breakfast which was included and here The Bear redeemed itself a little. The breakfast was delicious and the waitress was lovely.
On checking out a man who appeared to be the owner/manager was seated on the computer at reception and briefly acknowledged us. The female receptionist asked if our room was ok so I mentioned the hard bed but she was completely indifferent and just took our payment.
The hotel is very cosy but the rooms are a real letdown. Cowbridge itself is just gorgeous with lots of little independent shops and vintage markets but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HelenaSLondon
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights as attended a wedding. Travelled with a young baby and had to carry luggage up a number of stairs, however, this did not cause us a problem. The room was comfortable, with a 4 poster bed. Breakfast was great. All food was hot and from a buffet style choose as much as you want. Other reviews have said the breakfast room is dark and dingy - we did not find this at all - it was charming with exposed brickwork.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2011

the bear serves award winning food and has amazing banqueting rooms, the ballroom is beautiful. the gurst rooms are roomy and modern. it is clean and refreshing. nothing worng at all. faultless

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I have recommended this hotel to so many people over the years but my stay there last night has changed my opinion of what I used to consider a gem.

The room had a serious 'drains' issue and was very smelly.

As I had arrived very late I decided I was too tired to do anything about it and decided just to crash.

On checking out the receptionist was more focused on getting payment from me and did not ask if everything was OK with my stay, so I had to remind her to ask me if there had been any problems with my stay.

I explained the problem with the room. She said that she would get maintenance to look into it (which was fine) and then went on to ask if I had a good meal at the local Indians that she had recommended. So I had to ask her if she was going to apologise for the problem with the room...

All up a very poor customer relations experience. An insincere apology and a lousy night's accommodation in what should have been a premier hotel.

I won't recommend this hotel again, I won't stay here again and I won't organise any more functions here again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Preseli
Town_Country_Hotels, General Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2010

Dear Preseli,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the hotel.

Please accept our apologies for the poor level of customer service you received. We pride ourselves on offering all guests a warm welsh welcome, something that we have re-iterated to the receptionist you dealt with and the whole team.

Also, we were unaware of the drainage problem in Room 21 and following your comments this has been investigated.

We are grateful for all feedback and hope that despite your disappointment, you will not be deterred from using the Bear Hotel again in the future.

Kind regards

Sian Bradley

Reviewed September 19, 2010

Stayed in September attending a friend's wedding, very impressed with the service, having arrived at the hotel early to change and was allocated a room to freshen up and change in; whilst we were attending the wedding, our luggage was moved into our room ready for our return.

Our room was lovely with a four-poster bed and the decoration had character. We were able to experience most areas of the hotel due to attending a reception there. Very charming interior throughout - the breakfast was excellent.

The one thing that disappointed was a poor night's sleep due to a dodgy mattress, and noise (as we faced onto the high street). The window in the room had a gap at the top which we couldn't close, so I believe the noise was due to this!! I would still recommend the Bear as I think we may have had a better experience in a different room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple