“Barley Mow” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Barley Mow - CLOSED

The Barley Mow
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: A superb little find, in the heart of the picturesque village, Craig Penllyn. Traditional 18th Century building with many original features, including log fires and low beams. Recently under new management, Freehold pub, with weekly guest ales, and a wide range of spirits & wines. Our menus change to compliment the seasons, always using fresh & local ingredients. We offer everything from A la Carte, Lunch, Bar snacks, Sunday Roast, Home Made Desserts, to private functions, buffets, wedding receptions, all tailored to your specification. We accept Gourmet society cards, and you can follow us on face book. Our Quiz night is the first Thursday of every month & our acoustic open Mic/busker evening is the last Friday of every month. Last but not least why not bring your faithful friends along - as dogs are allowed in our cosy bar area also!
cardiff
“Barley Mow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went to the Barley Mow last night with my husband, after reading previous reviews we were apprehensive to say the least. There was no need to worry, the service was fine as was the food. We purchased a Groupon Voucher and the meal was definitely worth the money spent. Pub was quaint and welcoming and we will definitely go again.

Newbridge, United Kingdom
“Don't Bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went yesterday for Sunday Dinner, it was quite a drive for us but a friend of mine bought me a group on voucher so we thought "why not".
Even with the voucher we wished we hadnt bothered! The service was slow and we had to ask 3 times for a drink that we had ordered. The starters came with two miniscule pieces of bread and my trio of fish had two rather sad looking prawns on the side of a tiny dish of mackerel. In fairness my husband the soup wasnt bad but thats as good as it got! My main course "trio of meat" contained only two, beef and chicken (not sure where the pork went) and the beef was terribly dry and chewy and was left to the side with the rather black and crispy yorkshire. The area where you eat isnt too bad and we were sat by the fire which was nice however the toilets were in a terrible state which always worries me, I then looked on the gov website and found out it was awarded a 2 in September and I was not suprised when the man who I belived to be the chef came out in his apron and started messing with the fire! Needless to say we wont be returning with or without a group on voucher and their hygiene and service left a lot to be desired!

Pontyclun, United Kingdom
“Still as good as ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Booked a table of six for last night and meals were very good, my rib eye steak was perfect. Never had a bad meal in the Barley Mow in 35 years still good food and service, as always.

Huw Griffiths

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Heroes To Zeros: Worst. Steak. Ever.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went here on a Groupon, yada yada. Things started so well. The starter of platter to share was excellent, and we were contemplating booking a table for five for Mother's Day when the mains arrived.

In fairness, my partner's mushroom and Mediterranean vegetable stroganoff was very good.

However, my surf and turf (14oz Welsh black rib eye steak with scampi and prawns) contained a very stingy portion of 'surf' - 2 pieces of scampi and two prawns - but given the volume of steak I wasn't about to complain... until I tried to eat the thing.

You know when a steak is so bad that you spend your whole time hacking and sawing and slicing at all angles, trying to find quality meat among the sinew? That was me. I managed to gnaw away and swallow less than a quarter of the huge cut. I told the waitress at the end, who apologised.

It was priced at £21.95 on the menu, and if we hadn't been here on a Groupon I'd have insisted they take it off the bill. Nothing offered by way of recompense - but hey! As others have claimed the eatery's attitude is, "what did we expect on a Groupon?"

I can tell The Barley Mow what they can expect: we'll be taking our table of five somewhere else on Mother's Day, and we'll be letting others know the same.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Value for money/ Forget it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have visited the Barley Mow on two occasions using a Groupon Voucher.
My advice is dont bother.
The menu looked very nice but you generally get what you pay for and Groupon customers get very little.
I had pate, a small portion, two hard small bits of bread and a couple of leaves.
I ordered surf and turf for the main.
The steak was OK and the surf consisted of two shrimps, I wouldnt call them prawns, and two minute bits of scampi.
Oh I did get a couple of leaves and a few chips to go with it.
Service was OK and the beer wasnt bad but we wont be going back.
I also hope they fix the leak in the ceiling in the restaurant.

Visited February 2013