“Value for money/ Forget it.”
Review of The Barley Mow

The Barley Mow
Ranked #15 of 43 Restaurants in Cowbridge
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A superb little find, in the heart of the picturesque village, Craig Penllyn. Traditional 18th Century building with many original features, including log fires and low beams. Recently under new management, Freehold pub, with weekly guest ales, and a wide range of spirits & wines. Our menus change to compliment the seasons, always using fresh & local ingredients. We offer everything from Lunch, Bar snacks, Sunday Roast, Home Made Desserts, to private functions, buffets, wedding receptions, all tailored to your specification. and you can follow us on face book. Our Quiz night is the 4th Thursday of every month Last but not least why not bring your faithful friends along - as dogs are allowed in our cosy bar area also!
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have visited the Barley Mow on two occasions using a Groupon Voucher.
My advice is dont bother.
The menu looked very nice but you generally get what you pay for and Groupon customers get very little.
I had pate, a small portion, two hard small bits of bread and a couple of leaves.
I ordered surf and turf for the main.
The steak was OK and the surf consisted of two shrimps, I wouldnt call them prawns, and two minute bits of scampi.
Oh I did get a couple of leaves and a few chips to go with it.
Service was OK and the beer wasnt bad but we wont be going back.
I also hope they fix the leak in the ceiling in the restaurant.

1  Thank Codinbatter13

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and i had lunch here today to celebrate a special occassion.This used to be our favourite place to eat.For starters we had Mackerel Patty and deep fried brie, both of which were lovely though the salad leaves were stringy.For maines we had beef in ale pie ,and ham and eggs.The pie was totally tasteless in watery gravy, the ham was heated up with 2 very hard fried eggs on.The waitress was very apologetic and offerd to get us something else but we had waited ages for this and as we were due somewhere else ,we declined. I feel that if management or kitchen had done us the courtesy of coming to see us about it ,we would have felt a bit better about it. Instead it was ,in my opinion £32 that could have been spent better.Sorry Barley Mow.

1  Thank Rome33
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I visited this restaurant twice in the past 3 weeks, both times on a Sunday. I love that the Sunday roast menu includes a dish offering a combo of three meats, and ordered this both times. All 3 meats were delicious and perfectly cooked, with the beef standing out as being particularly great. The dinner comes with a delicious (and huge) Yorkshire pudding, really nice roasties, mashed potato, and a tasty medley of vegetables, all served in separate bowls. I really liked this "family style" way of serving the meals where everyone helps themselves to the accompaniments. We had dessert on the one occasion, the chocolate truffle cake was delicious and the chocolate fudge cake even more so.

The setting is really lovely, in a small village near Cowbridge, and inside it is the perfect cosy village pub, fireplace and all.

Top marks for service, food and atmosphere. Will definitely return.

1  Thank Spangove
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had spoken to some friends and they reconmended this eating venue..The menu was varied and the three courses we choice were above our expectations and service excellent.We will be back.
6 star not 5
thanks for an enjoyable evening

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went to the restaurant last night and thought they had just put tables in the bar....very noisy and intrusive! Waitress arrived and asked for drink order, but was unaware whether the only draught cider was sweet or dry. The house wine was very poor and the red, instead of having a glass from a normal bottle, arrived in a small, airline type bottle.
The food, hmmmm. The pate starter was marketed as being with 'Welsh butter' for the warmed bread, and when it arrived in an individual foil wrapper, I thought I must be in a Harvester restaurant. The pate' was bog basic and uninspiring.
The ribeye steak, ordered medium, arrived with the thicker end medium, the rest well done and dry accompanied by some greenery and half a tomato, together with two whole mushrooms which had been shown some hot butter and were raw throughout. The chips were nice, so compliments to the 'chip chef'! The whole meal was served in a soup bowl type dish, so I assume this was their nod to gastronomy or what they may have gleaned from master chef.
All in all, very disappointing, with poor service, poor food and poor ambience. I'm afraid it takes more than a different plate and a piece of slate for the bill for this establishment to justifiably call itself a gastropub.......pub, yes!

1  Thank Philthebaddog