“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Barley Mow - CLOSED

The Barley Mow
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: A superb little find, in the heart of the picturesque village, Craig Penllyn. Traditional 18th Century building with many original features, including log fires and low beams. Recently under new management, Freehold pub, with weekly guest ales, and a wide range of spirits & wines. Our menus change to compliment the seasons, always using fresh & local ingredients. We offer everything from A la Carte, Lunch, Bar snacks, Sunday Roast, Home Made Desserts, to private functions, buffets, wedding receptions, all tailored to your specification. We accept Gourmet society cards, and you can follow us on face book. Our Quiz night is the first Thursday of every month & our acoustic open Mic/busker evening is the last Friday of every month. Last but not least why not bring your faithful friends along - as dogs are allowed in our cosy bar area also!
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Can't comment on the food because we didn't get that far. Thought we'd head over for a midweek evening bar meal. Checked the website for opening times, no mention of promotions or need to book. Was a busy evening in the restaurant as they had a 'half price' promotion on which was (obviously) popular. The bar was pretty empty however, with a couple of people eating. Asked about ordering a bar meal but told the restaurant was fully booked. Explained that we hadn't booked and wasn't here for the promotion and would happily pay full price - just wanted a quick bar meal (like the other people in the bar). Again, told quite rudely that the restaurant was full.

Sort it out guys - do you serve bar meals or not? And are these promotions for regulars only? I live a mile away in cowbridge and knew nothing of it.

You had your chance - won't be coming back.

“Keep clear”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Received a Groupon voucher for my birthday, they only had rump steak as they had run out of rib eye and sirloin, also no salmon for my wife, very disappointing meal and then charged extra for pepper sauce, when I phoned the following day they said what did I expect for £24 the price I was unaware of however they have already lost custom due to these remarks and service.

3 Thank Rockerneil123
Wales, United Kingdom
“Groupon deal was very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Good points: We went in September, the pub itself is nice and the waitress service was very good.

However... we purchased the groupon deal (and the expiry date was extended) so we went end Sept 2012.

Two course steak meal deal (or equivalent value). Unfortunately the menu was seriously reduced for the groupon deal and the only thing on offer in terms of steak was a small thin rump. My wife could not have the salmon even, it was taken off the menu for this deal - only the cheapest menu options were available (not that we wanted the most expensive!). We complained at the severely limited choice and were told that they extended the expiry date because of the huge take up of the offer and apparently, since that time, meat prices had also increased and therefore they had to offer reduced options..

No manager available at the time so we called the next day and he actually said 'what do you expect for the money you paid'.. before hanging up! Actually we expected the two course deal on offer.

His attitude was disgusting... the food was nice but nothing special, and as it is in a rural area we had to drive.. Really wasn't worth the effort. Have complained to Groupon and do not recommend!

3 Thank jacobsyummymummy
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is obviously a destination gastro-pub, well off the beaten track.
Full of character, our expectations were high. This is our preferred type of venue, not too formal and with decent beer as well as the wine list.
Our sharing platter starter was good, not too much cooking involved but an enjoyable start to the meal. The steak surf and turf main was very good, quality meat cooked perfectly. My sea bass was a bit disappointing, with one modestly sized and rather dry fillet (although the nicely cooked vegetables added some interest). But for £18 I would have expected more. The chips were excellent though! We passed on dessert although there was a good choice on offer.
Service was good and the staff pleasant. The music for us was loud and inappropriate to the type of venue (seems to be the case in so many places - is it for the benefit of the customers or the staff?) and didn't encourage us to linger.
Might go again, but probably not in the evening. The lunch / Sunday lunch menus would probably be worth trying and not so expensive as the evening menu,

2 Thank seelybee
Watford, United Kingdom
“Great Food and good Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I live in Watford and wanted to take my dad out for Sunday lunch for his 85th birthday. I did an internet search for pubs and restaurants in the Cowbridge area and having perused various sites came across the Barley Mow. I liked the look of the location and the menu and decided to give it a try. I wasn't disappointed. The food was excellent, I had Duck and Chicken Liver Pate to start and it was delicious, this was followed by Roast pork with all the trimmings and Apple Pie and Ice Cream. The pork was cooked exactly how I like it and the Apple pie again was delicious. I'm sure it was totally home made, all too often I find the apples in pie are under-cooked and hard but on this occasion it was cooked perfectly.
Mike our host came and introduced himself which was a really nice touch, the staff were attentive and friendly. The rest of my party were all equally impressed and we will all definitely be returning.

1 Thank saskatoondave1954