“Very average”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had lunch there today, very average, pub empty at 12.30 saturday lunch time, I had cod and chips which the cod had been cut length ways in half, very poor, tomato sauce resembled red water, the other half of the fillet was in my wifes sea food pasta dish, which was rather dry, staff very pleasant, clean and tidy inside

Emily F, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Linda F
I am Sorry to hear that you found us quite average. I can assure you that the Cod fillet was not cut in half, we are unfortunately bound to our suppliers for fish and that delivery happened to contain long thin 7oz fillets as opposed to short wide ones. I can also assure you that the "Other half" had not been used in the pasta as that dish contains no cod.
Again I was disappointed to read you did not enjoy, Our menu will be changing shortly and I do hope that you will try us again. the website is www.thestarinnwick.co.uk should you wish to keep an eye out for the new spring/summer fare.
Kind regards
Emily Francis

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We had previously visited a year ago and the atmosphere and food were very good. Since then the premises has undergone a wonderful transformation. The food, ale, service were all excellent and enthusiastic. I will recommend this pub/restaurant to any of my friends who visit this part of Wales.

1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Havent been to the Star in Wick for a long while and was pleasantly surprised by the vast improvements made by the new owners. The food was excellent, even my wife who is, shall we say hard to please made positive remarks. The pint of Doom Bar I washed my meal down with was kept perfectly and I was glad to see the prices much lower than I expected for the Vale. Lets hope they keep it up!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I noticed that The Star had reopened in late 2012 and had been meaning to call in to check out policy with dogs.Just wish I had done it sooner! My friend remembered it as rather run-down but on entering I had a bit of a shock. The bar(the area where well-behaved dogs on leads are accepted) and lounge/restaurant have been totally refurbished and even a visit to loo was pleasurable. The staff were very friendly and we received a very warm welcome. My only 'criticism' was the menu that was a little top-heavy with steak and chicken for my tastes. However, there was ample choice and the food was delicious. The gammon was tasty and cooked to perfection-it was moist and easy to cut-something you rarely find these days. The onion rings were freshly prepared and the batter was crunchy and golden. My friend had battered cod and the fish was lovely and flaky. We simply could not fault anything on the plates.
It won't be long until we visit again and I can highly recommend it to anyone who wants great pub grub at very reasonable prices,

1  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Under new management and it shows! Great atmosphere, cosy, friendly looking soooo much better and the food............superb! The home made soup from the Chef is the best I have ever tasted and the food overall is excellent. Good staff, great service and lovely food, what more could you want for a great evening out. Been there 3 times now, will be going again soon.

2  Thank Maria P