“Disgusting.”

Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Cowbridge
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Charming village pub serving home cooked meals, real ales, great wines. We offer a choice for most diners including Gluten Free and Vegan.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went here for my grandmothers birthday today. Don't get me wrong I've been there before and it was fantastic but today completely changed my mind. We Went in and asked the lady behind the bar for a table. The lady behind the bar was very reluctant to give us a table because there was a big party of 13 coming in. Infact she was extemely rude and made us feel VERY unwanted. I won't ever be returning again and I will advise all of my friends/ family not to bother also. I hope the pub which is known for being "friendly" reads this and I hope the lady who was behind the bar changes her attitudes towards customers. Oh and let me just make it clear I left before I ordered because she made it clear that she wasn't coming to us anytime because the big pasty had already ordered. No apology no I hope you don't mind nothing!!!!

7  Thank Bethday1
There are newer reviews for The Red Fox

Reviewed April 26, 2013

One of our favourite pubs in the Vale for a good value home cooked meal. Service is always really genuinely friendly. We prefer to eat in the bar rather than the restaurant (no particular reason!). Food is served piping hot and really tasty. Only challenge is what to choose! Prices will suit all types of pocket. Even the steak is good ......which for a pub is saying something. Located just outside Cowbridge..... Well worth a trip to savour the atmosphere and the beer even if you don't try the food! This is a good pub serving really good pub food.

1  Thank Heulwen9
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'm quite pedantic about my Sunday Lunch; for us, it's an occasion that we can savour for a couple of hours and chat. The ambience in the Red Fox was very family friendly, customer focused and relaxed. They fitted us in with about an hours notice on a busy day, and the super friendly service did not falter the whole way through.

Food was beautifully presented and ample, lots of different selections of veg and good portions of meat. However, I would add that the portions for pudding were very small considering the price of them, and my sons child portion of brownie was nearly bigger than his dads!

Overall, a lovely experience and we would attend - but book in advance!

Sara

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've eaten at the Red Fox on many occasions, as both a party of 10+ and a couple. The food and service is excellent every time. There is a good menu of really good home cooked pub grub.. I've made my way through most of the menu now and enjoyed every meal :-) we like the atmosphere in the pub and the staff are great... we will continue too keep returning

Reviewed April 15, 2013

As a treat for our wedding anniversary my wife and I booked the Red Fox Inn based on all the good reviews we’ve read. The Red Fox is very easy to find in a small village of Penllyn which is 2 miles from Cowbridge and just 5 miles or a 10 minutes drive from junction 35 of the M4.
The pub looks welcoming and inviting from the outside and has a very warm homely feel on the inside. All the staff were friendly and attentive and we were well looked after. For starters we choose laverbread with bacon and Provencal and deep fried brie wedges, both very tasty and full of flavour. For mains we went for 8oz sirloin steak cooked medium rare, which melted in your mouth and from the specials board spicy meatballs with tagliatelle, gorgeous, spicy but too overpowering. Then for deserts we squeezed in and I mean really squeezed in warm sticky toffee pudding with ice cream and cream, which was divine. The whole meal was delicious with every part cooked to sumptuous perfection. And the cost of the meal was very reasonable in comparison to other similar establishments.
A very minor complaint was that we were unable to open the website on a Smartphone or iPad. The website is also out of date and some prices having changed since it was last updated. This certainly didn’t detract from an exquisitely scrumptious meal in pleasant surroundings.

1  Thank buzz6872