“Birthday surprise”

Pentre Mawr Country House
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Birthday surprise”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Fabulous experience, very friendly and a brilliant idea, couldn't fault our weekend, but don't ask for chips! Will visit again, Bre promised chips next time and have two days to ensure we get time for the falconry experience.

Room Tip: Tent 1, phone and request golf buggy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Potters Bar, Herts
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Booked a weekend in July for our wedding anniversary. The attraction was the private hot tub. It was an enjoyable weekend and certainly different – staying in a huge safari tent with all mod cons. The tent was quite a wow factor – huge comfortable double bed, massive bathroom with twin sinks a freestanding bath and a rainforest shower – candles provided for that extra romantic touch.
Overall it did feel a little run down. The manor house itself is lovely – you are free to wander around and there are old photos etc to see, In our tent, in the hot tub area there were large weeds growing through the patio slabs and thistles growing through the fence. In the information folder was a personalized welcome letter for us (and an anniversary card, which was a nice touch) and behind this was the welcome letter for the previous occupants. Although it was July the nights were cold and the heating did not work. We reported this at the main house and we were smiled at and told someone would look at it but it did not work while we were there. There were other small things which individually do not count for much but add up, and this for me detracts from 5*.. I have again read through the feedback from other TA advisors and I can see that there is a different experience if you stay when the owners are not there, as was my case. Overall a pleasant experience – my expectations were set too high from the previous reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gaz8867
wishfulNorthwales, Owner at Pentre Mawr Country House, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write your review and I'm sorry the service that you received was not what we would have wished it to be. In July we were called away on a family emergency. It's very rare for us not to be on the premises in case of situations like this The week we were away was really hot and everyone had fans on in the tents and I think what may have happened with the heating is that it was left on A/C In the past guests have left the setting on the A/C instead of heat and that's all I can think it could be.......... we certainly had no problems with it when we got back. I wish you had rang the number we left on the welcome letter when you didn't get it fixed immediately as it was my husband's number and he could have sorted the problem very easily.
Normally if we're away we close the house or one of us stays at home as is the situation this weekend.............Graham and Conor are away and I'm home alone..............well not really!! We have a really lovely bunch who look after our guests and in fact there is another review from the same period who commented on how wonderful they all are. There is no excuse for weeds in the patio areas............we keep the gardens mown but the areas behind the tents and on the paddocks around are left to grow wild for our wonderful butterfly population who are very fond of thistles........I'm honestly not being facetious, we truly do let them grow for that reason...........sometimes I wish we didn't as they don't always look very tidy but the butterflies love them so. I'm sorry one sneaked in through your fence and I've just walked all the lodges in the last half hour and can reassure you that there are neither weeds or escaping thistles in any of them. Most of your review was very complimentary and I'm truly grateful for that, I think you were very fair. I find Trip Advisor truly terrifying for exactly as you said our reviews are so good that some guests may be disappointed. We're a small country house and we're only human and we don't always get it right. The tents are exactly that.........tents...........we do our level best to keep our standards as high as possible, most of time I think we succeed but we're not a corporate hotel group with the finances behind us to employ loads to staff and invest loads of funds. In fact nearly all the day to day running of the business is done by myself, my husband and son. For us the most important thing is a warm welcome, attention detail ( failed on this occasion) and doing the best we can to surpass our guest's expectations. In your case we obviously failed and I'm truly sorry for that. Bre and the gang at Pentre Mawr.
Ellesmere Port, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just had a romantic "hot tub safari" week-end break under canvas at Pentre Mawr Country House ... but this is camping like you have never experienced it before! 'Glamping' is definitely to be recommended - set in beautiful countryside. We arrived in a torrential downpour and were promptly met at our car by Graham who told us to jump on the back of his golf buggy-style cart and were driven to the main house where we were served a glass of Bucks Fizz, tea and cake. The food (dinner and breakfast) is delicious - lots of choice and great service. Graham and Bre are excellent hosts. The tents have all mod cons (tv with DVD and iPod connection, fridge, hair dryer, heating, toilet, bathroom).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancs
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I treated ourselves to a 'glamping' weekend at Pentre Mawr. We generally hate camping but this was totally out of this world. We would highly recommend it. The whole experience was fantastic. Hospitality first rate and the food excellent. Well done to the owners and staff at Pentre Mawre.....loving the concept.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have a feeling this place is going to be the worst kept secret in my history...whilst I don't want to end up re-visiting and finding the place over run by my friends, I can't help but blab at how amazing this place is. Honestly this is the best place I've ever stayed in (all coming from the woman who hates camping). Found this place after hours of searching on google for somewhere different for my partners birthday treat and all those hours paid off. We stayed in a safari lodge for one night and from the moment we greeted at the door by Darcy (the collie) we were gobsmacked at how wonderful the place was. I cannot stress enough how much I loved it!!!! Bucks fizz on arrival, a golf buggy ride to the lodge, private hot tub, 5 course evening meal, full cooked breakfast!!!! The attention too detail is impeccable, my partner even had a birthday card and chocolates in the lodge for him. Now my partner is such a fussy eater and we are normally put off by places because he doesn't like the food but they catered for him expertly (he said it was the nicest meal he's ever eaten). Bre and Graham are super friendly and we got a small tour of the place before we left, along with some wedding details and a hug!!
We will definitely be back and hopefully for a few nights, 1 was not enough!
Thank you so much everyone that looked after us, you all made it truly special!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are spectacular, but for something unique try a safari lodge!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
wolverhampton
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Cant really put in words how good this hidden little gem is. The landlords are friendly and welcoming, the accomadation (we stayed in a canvas with private hot tub) was out of this world. The food was the best we have ever had, all home made by the landlady- granted it is a little pricey to stay at the pentre mawr but it is more than worth the money. We will DEFINATELY be returning. Brett and Holly

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just spent 3 nights here in safari lodge number 4. The 'tent' was awesome and had all the amenities you can think of - large en-suite bathroom, heated shower, television, fridge etc... even the bed is heated for when it turns chilly!! The large hot tub in the a private patio area out the back of the tent was fantastic. Food (we had breakfast and dinner) is excellent and the owners are very friendly - nothing is too much trouble. My girlfriend left some items behind and they arranged for them to be couriered back to us without charge even though we offered to pay. The dogs are lovely (brush up on your football skills before taking on Darcy!) and there are also some ponies around.

We also did the falconry experience whilst we were there. My girlfriend and I both had an awesome time. The birds (in our case, two Harris Hawks called Storm & Edgar) follow you around doing there own thing whilst you walk through the countryside, occasionally coming in to land on your glove. It really was fantastic to see these birds close up and watch them interact with the natural environment. Rich (who runs the experience) was very friendly and knowledgeable, it was pleasure taking a walk with him. I highly recommend doing this experience and advise opting for the 90 minutes version as you will really enjoy it. My girlfriend is not your regular typical hiker/bird watcher... she owns a lot of shoes... but she had a great time, so don't be put off if this is something a bit different for you.

Overall, very highly recommended!! We will be back.

Room Tip: Give the tents a try, you'll be surprised!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandyrnog
Ruthin Castle Hotel
#1 of 44 in Chester
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy

Been to Pentre Mawr Country House? Share your experiences!