“Amazing experience. Cannot wait to go back!”

Pentre Mawr Country House
wales
“Amazing experience. Cannot wait to go back!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went last minute to Pentre Mawr , and stayed in the suite with a double spa bath. We had wanted a hot tub suite but they were fully booked however we were told the main communal hot tub would be there for our use!
Upon arrival we parked in the car park and a golf buggy pulled up to take us and our bags the whole 50yrds to the main entrance.
We were seated in the front room which was full of unique chess sets books and general items giving the room a lovely old fashioned homely feel. We were asked if we wanted tea and coffee and also served fresh orange bucks fizz. I really felt special and we were 10 minutes into our stay.
We were taken to our room ( our bags already taken ahead) and it was fab. Large four poster bed a big double jacuzzi bath a wall mounted dvd tv ipod docking station ... Plus a bathroom with a large shower..
We went down for our 3 course meal were we were seated in the front room again with menus and drink orders taken. Then our menu choices. Shortly after We were taken through seated in the dining area all modern with great wine glasses i have to add! There was warm bread on the table and then we were given a pre starter as well of panacotta which was beautiful. After starters we had a sorbet shot which really did cleanse my palette it was gorgeous. Mains was delicious , then dessert , then cheese crackers and coffee served in the front room with the other guests... Its a nice touch as you get talking with the other guests as well which makes the whole experience more comfortable!
We went then to ask about the hot tub to be told it hadnt in fact been put on. I was a bit upset having brought a bikini with me especially and nothing nicer than a cold wine in a hot tub on a cold night!
However they did in fact put the hot tub on for us. We gave it a good 35 minutes before attempting it and whilst it was warm it wasnt warm enough and after another 20 mins we gave up ... Bre explained they had had it switched on all year and it hadnt really been used and as most guests had hottubs hadnt put it on that night. It was a bit of a shame i was a little disheartened as its what we actually went for ...but we made up for it in a super hot bubbly jacuzzi bath which was fantastic with all tealights around!
Breakfast the next morning was fantastic again , plenty of options for everyone tea coffee and more fresh bucks fizz.
The atmosphere was light friendly the hotel exactly what you expect yet more. We have stayed all over britain in hot tub hotels and this is one place we will definitely return !
In fact ive been in touch recently about doing a joint hen stag overnight relaxing stay for just 2 wks before our wedding..it will be well needed if we can do it.
It may seem steep in price per person per night but for everything it includes its WELL worth it !!
The suites look amazing and we were shown the glamping huts which are a fab idea and definitely fun to do with friends...
And as my fiance lives abroad and flies back days after the wedding i think a little 2 night honeymoon break in the suite is in order.
A huge thank you to bre graham and lynda as well as the other staff for giving us a memorable night away !

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We’ve stayed at Pentre Mawr three times now, twice in the main season and at New Year last year. I was recommending it to a friend when we went on trip advisor and saw the previous review. I’ve never written a review before but felt the need to say something about it, so here goes. To be honest I’m so annoyed. I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I really feel that the review was uncalled for. When we stayed at New Year it was really cold and the heating in the lodges was more than enough, yes it was cold but the heaters we had were more than adequate, we didn’t expect it to be roasting in a tent in winter. When we stayed this September it rained the whole weekend. We used the gas fire to back up our electric heating and did as Graham and Bre suggest, having switched off the heaters dropped the curtains down around the bed and we were snug as a bug in a rug, not that we saw any bugs, just Graham with a smile in the morning and Bre running around after her guests and finding time to chat and be friendly with all of them. We bring our dog with us and she even gets treats and a blanket and towel in the lodge when we arrive. So I just want to say the people who said their heaters didn’t work, it’s not complicated, you should have gone to see the guys and they would have sorted it out for you. Still baffled as to how you missed the lovely gas heaters that are in the lodges. As far as value for money is concerned, I assume that they haven’t stayed at a five star country house before. With the fabulous food and all the special little touches not to talk of the friendly service in OUR PERSONAL OPINION it’s great value for money.
The tent is in the garden and we brought mud in our feet and so did our dog and that was the only dirt we saw in the tent. It was just fabulous. Everywhere you look our every need was covered. The first time we visited Bre even lent me her willies as I wanted to walk to the river and the fields had been flooded. We had Polo’s for their lovely old ponies and we sneaked a few for ourselves as well,
Lovely evening meal hard describes the fabulous dinner with the little surprise mini starter, fantastic main course where my hubby wanted his sauce on the side, no trouble was Graham’s reply and the Chocolate torte just to die for. Get Bre to tell you how to make it. She’s right it is easy but mine has never been as good hers, she has a really special knack with food.
So my advice ignore the previous review, go to Pentre Mawr and be spoilt by two lovely people and their staff who really care about their guests and give you warmest welcome we’ve ever had in any hotel any place in the world. And no we’re not friends, just guests who were lucky enough to have found Pentre Mawr and will keep returning there as often as we can and our dog thinks so too. Thanks again for a lovely stay and don’t let that miserable review get you down. Bobbi

Room Tip: We've seen all the rooms and suites, the safari lodges are our favourites but the rooms in the m...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

What a gem to find on one of the worst weeks for weather! Despite floods all around there was such a warm feeling to the family house where Bre and Graham welcome you to join them in what feels like a house party with friends (and the dogs had a wonderful time too!)

Nothing was too much trouble to make us and our friends from South Africa (who were certainly feeling the cold!) feel a warm welcome - and the spa baths caused a lot of giggles to us the uninitiated! The most delicious dinner in the most cosy setting was followed the next morning with a really splendid breakfast - Graham just makes it look so easy to bring you exactly what you ask for - and our order was quite complicated..!

Altogether a lovely experience - we will be back and hopefully Maggie and Peter will cross continents again too.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We loved the whole 'under canvas' thing, it's great when you can hear the cold night outside but you're tucked up warm after a soak in the hot tub with a glass of fizz. Beautiful dinner and friendly staff, even the kelpie dogs were attentive yet polite! Mostly though it was for the glamping, so much fun, a real break from a long week of work, I could have stayed tucked up all weekend if it wasn't for the fresh home-baked bread and the need for a refill of fizz!
It's not like home, nothing like home, in fact nothing like anything else, which is why we loved it...

Room Tip: Definitely try the canvas tents, you'll feel like Hemingway (with owls)!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Anglesey
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Il start with the downside.
1.cold in october as expected but the poor flimsy fan heater was set on average heat. We tried to up the setting but automaticaly referted back to their setting, the same with under floor heating. Could not adjust heating. I was uncomfartably cold. Even underfloor heating only heated a quarter of the floor.. The rest was cold.
2.hot tub noisy during the night.
3. Got eye infection during my stay.. I presume it was from the hot tub because my eyes streamed after using it.
4. Television was far too small for the room. Couldnt see or hear very well. Especially when its breezy.
5. Cleanliness was very average. Did not feel clean
Tiles in shower were cracked. Grouting mucky
6. Candle holders were grubby. Nothing felt clean enough
now for the pluses
1. Lovely evening meal. Enjoyed experience of their beautifull bulding and its history
2. Beautifull grounds
3.dogs were grea
4. Massive bed
I would recommend maybe the b and b..because the money we spent on for 2 nights glamping was most definatly not worth it.. Dissapointing and overrated. Shame. . Think more detail to cleanliness.. Allow money spent on heating ( far too tight it was obvious) reduce price a little then you wouldnt feel ripped off. . X ps never had to write a poor review before.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Denise H
wishfulNorthwales, Owner at Pentre Mawr Country House, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I’m really sorry you had issues with you stay I really do wish you’d come to us and talk to us as we’re always on hand to help, in our welcome letter, beg our guests to let us know if there’s anything wrong so we can put it right. We are so lucky with our reviews and when I get a bad review I always accept whatever is written and assume we’re in the wrong. We’re always very sad if we get it wrong, we’re only human, we do sometimes but it’s not about money for us…………..we are really passionate about what we do and we do try so hard to keep all our customers happy.

We’re bit confused about your issues with heating as we do not control the heating at all. We have extra fans heaters available and we’re a bit concerned that we didn’t explain how that the fans in the lodges are both heaters and air conditioners and you may not have realised how to put the heating on and as a result have been blowing cold air around your lodge. The electric fans are there to back up the gas heating which you never mentioned in your review, but every lodge has a gas heater, we keep spare bottles of gas for when the gas runs out and the only thing we ask our guests to do is to switch them off at the bottle before they get into their bed which has an electric blanket and hot water bottles. There are two electric heaters one in the bathroom and one in the sitting area. The under floor heating in the first three lodges is there for comfort only and has never been considered for heating the bathroom. I gather from your visit that it was windy, that always makes things feel colder but that’s also one of the pleasures of being in a tent. Snuggling down with your partner and listening to the wind.

The sitting area with its gas heater has a 21” TV/DVD with iPod dock. It a reasonable size for watching TV from the sofa but I absolutely agree that it’s not suitable for watch TV from the bed as the Tent is more than 30 foot long and the bed is at the far end. We ask our guests particularly in cold weather to drop the drapes around their bed area in order to keep it warmer, if you were trying to watch TV from the bed then you wouldn’t have had your drapes down and yet again that would have been another reason to be cold. We really do try to cover all the options to make it as warm and pleasant as possible but at the end of the day it is a tent and because of that dust will get in………….leaves etc…………it’s not like a building that you can keep air tight and therefore dust free. The tiles in the shower area have charcoal grout and the tiles are mosaic not cracked……….we’re trying to create an outdoor feel……..our staff thoroughly clean the lodges but they don’t take away the candle wax in the candle holders as I like the rustic look it gives them.

Hot tubs are on a timer and are turned off at midnight and come back on at 7.30 in the morning so that they are warmer enough for guests who would like to use them before breakfast ………………7.30 is the middle of the night for some people we understand ( it is for me when I get a chance of a lie in ) but we’re trying to keep all our customers happy. As far as an eye infection is concerned I really do take offence at that. If you had a problem with streaming eyes surely you would have come to us and told us. The recommended time in a hot tub is 20 minutes and we put that information into your lodge. Many of our guests tell us they stay in for longer. The tubs are chlorinated and maybe you one of the guests who are sensitive to chlorine as I am myself which is why we have a salt water swimming pool.

The fact that you feel rip off really upset me, we take complaints personally as this is our home as well as our business and we only want people to be happy in our home.
I’m disappointed you feel the price isn’t good value though our rooms in the house with double spa baths instead of hot tubs are cheaper as they are much more economical to run.
The safari lodges are really different and we’ve put a huge financial investment into bringing them in from Africa and furnishing them with top quality furniture in keeping with our African theme. The lodges all have private hot tubs, super king size beds, TV/DVD/iPod docks, fridges, nespresso coffee machines, irons and ironing boards, electric make up mirrors and hair dryers, loads of big fluffy towels which are changed daily during your stay and bath robes.
We also include afternoon tea with buck fizz on arrival
There’s a five course dinner each evening for two with eight choices of starters, mains and puddings (special diet catered for) with coffee and cheese served in the drawing room afterwards.
Breakfast each morning with buck fizz ( as much as you want to drink) a full cook or scrambled egg and smoked salmon or kippers or if you prefer a healthier breakfast fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, freshly cooked bread, warm croissants or all of it if you want.
You also have use of the main house, the gallery, the pool, the hot tubs, the library with DVDs, books and CDs.
The thing that is confusing us most about your review is that you say you stayed in October this year and we’ve looked back through all our bookings for September and October and can’t find anyone called Denise from Anglesey. I realise that as the reviews are anonymous that may not be your real name. Clearly we did get it wrong on this occasion and all we can do now is apologise and wish you all the very best.
Bre, Graham and the very sad gang at Pentre
Ludlow, Shropshire
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I found Pentre Mawr after a long google search and right from the minute I found it I thought it stood out as offering just that little bit more than the average! And so booked a Safari lodge. This break was a combined very much needed rest, a birthday present for my partner and also booked on my birthday weekend so it always needed to live up to alot, something which slightly worried me as we were both putting so much on having the perfect weekend! We never should have worried! From the second we arrived it was perfect. Met with a smiley face ( a golf buggy and a few gorgeous collies!) even before we left the car! Firstly taken to the beautiful house for bucks fizz and made to feel instantly "on holiday"! Next to the lodge which was just perfect, without a doubt the best place I have ever stayed! Clean, private, relaxing and so much more relaxing and homely than a normal hotel room. The bath room was amazing with the nicest shower (which I could have happily stayed in all day!). Love the mood lighting. Hot tub perfect, private, good size, spotlessly clean and very hot!! Dinner was an amazing experience from start to finish! Relaxing with a drink in a beautiful drawing room before being taken to a 5* 5 course dinner, what more could you ask for! Could not fault the food in any way and probably some of the best food I have ever eaten! Breakfast offered more than you could ever ask for. From start to finish nothing was too much trouble and everything is done with so much care and a smile. And the doggies just made the whole weekend even better being there for occasional cuddles! I am never usually one to write a review but Bre and Graham and all their staff deserve a massive thank you! We will without a doubt be back, hopefully many many more times. The only down side to the whole thing is how it goes far to quickly and having to leave! Thank you all so much again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a perfect weekend at Pentre Mawr with some friends recently, and we did the hawking / falconry experience with Richard on Sunday. This was a real up-close encounter with two stunning birds of prey, before watching the hawk (named Adrian!) fly off and chase crows in the cow field below the house. This is a must-do!

We still can't decide whether it's the huge jaccuzi baths, Bre's attention to the little details (serve-yourself Bucks Fizz at brekky and the bowlful of polo mints to feed the horses with to name a couple of the lovely touches) or the stunning food and service which we'll miss the most...

Thank you for a super weekend, from Ed and Alice

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandyrnog
Ruthin Castle Hotel
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,503 reviews

Been to Pentre Mawr Country House? Share your experiences!