“Exceeded expectations”

Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Spean Bridge
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I had a wonderful stay in this clean, comfortable hotel, set in idyllic surroundings.

The food was lovely.

The staff clearly worked very hard to acheive this.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank sadtocomehome
Kevin4, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2010

We are so glad that you had such a great time at The Letterfinlay lodge and the review you have posted is Fab ! we look forward to your return visit at any time (New Year)

There are newer reviews for Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel

Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed for two nights in the adjacent lodge in August 2010. Arriving at this hotel our impressions and hopes were high based on its stunning location (and previous good TA Reviews). However the first problem that we encountered was lack of efficiency at reception where we would normally have expected to be shown where basic facilities were and given brief instructions eg dining room location etc. We did not feel that this was adequate. We were asked for the time that we would like to dine (will return to this later).

On our first night we arrived to dine at the time given assuming that a table would have been prepared and reserved etc. However this was not the case although one became vacant and was prepared for us. The hotel allows children as guests and would not normally be a problem, although in most hotels will be confined to certain time slot for dining. However the main problem here was the fact that a particular child was allowed to crawl about in the bar area and indeed at one point was sitting on top of the bar with staff standing talking/joking with the parents. We ordered wine for our meal which was duly brought to the table. We would however normally have expected a sample of the wine to be poured and then at least the first glass for each diner. This did not happen on either night and would not appear to have been the general policy. Regarding the actual menu/food etc we noted that the exact same specials were listed for both nights and that the full menu would appear to have been set i.e not changed daily to represent "fresh" local produce. We had booked a dinner bed & breakfast rate and do not in hindsight think that this is best value.

Finally on the rate booked (DBB) I was somewhat surprised to note that when my final bill i.e on checkout was presented we had also been charged for the dinner. However to be fair this was corrected after my prompting.

4  Thank MAS09
Kevin4, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2010

Thank you for your review, however, we feel that you have been incorrect in many of your observations especially regarding our Specials Board and set menu. The set menu is changed 3 times a year and we always use fresh, local produce when it's in season. Our Special's Board sometimes during the week does not change every night as the venison casserole and surf and turf is so popular, at weekends our Special's Board options sell out every night. This is why our restaurant is popular and has an excellent reputation. With regard to your other comments, we believe that sometimes you just can't do enough for people and they still complain, we are a family friendly hotel and children are very welcome and most of them are little angels so perhaps you came on holiday with the wrong attitude!!

Reviewed August 28, 2010

Had a very pleasant stay a this hotel recently with my husband & our teenage daughter. Very friendly staff & the view from the decking area is amazing!! The room we stayed in was nice, but a bit hot. There was some sort of cooling machine in the room but this made an awful lot of noise at night. You also had to place the pipe from the back of the machine out of the window & as our room face the road, this made even more noise. However, the bathroom was very spacious but again a bit hot. The food served in the restaurant was fantastic & we would all visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your review, and we are so glad that you loved our amazing scenery and food in our restaurant. We do agree that the family room that you stayed in is very warm and cozy and that is why we supply a very modern air conditioning unit which has a silent run facility inbuilt should it be required. We would also like to point out out that you could have turned your heating off at any time and we would have done this for you had you brought it to our attention at the time. We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

This was our third stay at the Hotel, which says everything really. We had just come back from our summer holidays in Tunisia and decided to end it with a two day stay in our favourite place in Scotland. Letterfinlay is the perfect place to relax, it is so peaceful and quiet. The food is amazing, big compliments to the Chef who produces the most delicious dishes with local fresh produce. The rooms are extremely comfortable, we stayed in the new Lochy suite, amazing with its own balcony and beautiful views across the Loch. We also have to say a massive thankyou to all the staff and to Sam the Assistant Manager who made us feel so welcome once again. We will be back in September for, I am sure another memorable time.

1  Thank StannersForres

Thank you very much for your kind review and your repeat custom and it'a always a pleasure to welcome back such nice guests to the Letterfinlay Lodge.

Reviewed August 25, 2010

My husband and I got married at Letterfinlay in August 2009 and returned for our first wedding anniversary at the beginning of this month. The reviewer has got it all wrong. We had a small wedding of 20 and the whole team at the hotel could not have done more for us and all our guests. Everything was perfect from the service, quality of the accomodation, quality of the food and the excellent service. I know many of the guests plan to return to the hotel. I would throughly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting that perfect day.

2  Thank campbell16_10
Kevin4, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2010

Thanks for the great review and its great that you set the record straight for any future small weddings that we hold at the Letterfinlay lodge hotel .We look forward to having you and any of your family back at any time in the future

Reviewed August 15, 2010

My partner and I are getting married next year and were looking for a small venue near Fort William. We used to live in the area and were aware that the Letterfinlay Lodge has a bad reputation locally for being over priced but the menu we downloaded from their website and the reviews on this site were so positive we decided to enquire anyway.

During my initial phone call it was obvious that they weren't interested in my business though. The girl I spoke to clearly didn't really want to speak to me and made me feel like I was wasting her time. She told me to put my enquiry in an email and they would 'get back to me' which I thought was a bit strange - I would have thought that most hotels would be keen to secure pre-booked wedding business, especially in the off season!

I did email them and got a rather snooty response back demanding to know exactly what date I was looking at before 'they could make a decision'! Hang on - isn't this my wedding, aren't I supposed to make the decisions? I told them which month we were looking at and said we could be flexible to suit their availability and haven't heard anything since!

We're only planning quite a small event - 20-30 guests and I suspect that they decided it's too small for them to bother with. Oh well, guess the locals were right! I now feel like we've had a lucky escape, if they can't even be bothered to reply to an email then what's the customer service going to be like? I've written this review in case there's anyone else out there like me who's organising a smallish wedding - look elsewhere, this lot aren't interested in your business and there are at least two other similar sized places near by that are much more helpful!

6  Thank RokPig
Kevin4, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2010

On Sunday the 15th August Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel launched its new wedding brouchure at a large wedding fair in Fort william with exellent results and very positive feedback .This unknown reviewer joined trip advisor on the same day and wrote this nasty article ! We have never had this enquiry we have neaver spoken with anyone regarding it and it is purely facticious and a childish attempt to harm our fabulous reputation for weddings and customer service . We would ask any prospective wedding couples to please call us at any time and you will be given the usual 5 star hotel service that we extend to all our guests

Reviewed August 14, 2010

We visited Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel for 4 nights to celebrate a special event. The location was so beautiful with fantastic views across the Great Glen.
We had consistently excellent service from the Manager and his staff - no detail was overlooked. Compliments to the chef - each meal was mouthwatering! The accommodation was superb with our own balcony where we could keep an eye open for the local osprey (which we were lucky to spot on our last evening there!)
We would love to return sometime.
Gill and Eric

2  Thank greathols90

Thank you for the great review and we are glad that you loved the food so much ! please come back any time

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spean Bridge
#1 of 1 in Roybridge
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#3 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!