“An excellent hotel with fantastic food and lovely friendly staff...enjoy!!”

Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Spean Bridge
Aberdeen, Scotland
“An excellent hotel with fantastic food and lovely friendly staff...enjoy!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

We were five blokes on a hill walking trip looking for a comfortable hotel with good food and wine. Letterfinlay was new to us but we were delighted with everything. The food was great, the rooms were ideal and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We will certainly return if we are in the area.

Room Tip: The Dunkeld Room was fabulous.
5 Thank Thefooteman
DonaldAllan, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your kind comments onto my Team.

Donald Allan

PS:- We have got some excellent walking packages for the winter. You will be able to have a wee dram in front of our new open fire.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

I came across this hotel by accident while surfing the net looking for somewhere to stay which was close to Ben Nevis.....Its actually about a 20 minute drive to the bottom of Ben Nevis but its well worth the journey.
I did look at a few places in Fort William but they all looked like your typical crappy UK hotels (overpriced/in need of a lick of paint etc) and after driving past a few of them i was proved right ,Im so glad we chose here.
From the moment we arrived (3 middle aged blokes from Essex) we were made to really feel at home.Violetta (I think thats how you spell it) was a star and couldnt have been more helpful or accomodating,once you got use to her unique accent (Glasgow with a bit of Lithuania thrown in).Nothing was too much trouble,even when all the other diners had gone to bed she kept the bar open for us and was more than happy to serve us (Ive no idea why the review a couple below this whinged abt the bar shutting early,maybe they were just bores?)
The food was very,very good and reasonably priced,as was the fairly decent wine list.
The rooms were spacious (we all booked a double room each) and very comfortable and had everything you would expect from a hotel of this standard.
One thing which I did find strange was that by 10 o/c EVERYONE had gone to bed,must be the fresh air or something!
The location is stunning but be warned ,there is nothing nearby so be prepared or drive to Fort William (we did once,I wouldnt bother,its a bit of a dump on a Saturday night) if you fancy getting away from the hotel for the night.I wish we hadn't bothered.
All in all avoid low rent Fort William accomodation and stay here,its worth paying that little bit extra.If Im up that way again I know where I will be staying.
Disappointed we didnt see Donald.....!

Room Tip: Just ask......
7 Thank CHOPSKI
Thank you for your review.

You are correct with your comments on Fort William Hotels and that is why we constantly invest in the upkeep of our property to ensure it is always kept in an excellent condition.
If it is essential for you to stay in Fort William we have 5 star apartments on the canal side.
I am sorry I did not see you during your stay with us as I was taking two days off to spend with my family.

Donald Allan

PS:- Come back in the winter and I will personally let you sample my large variety of Scottish malt whisky in front of our new open fire.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

What can i say about the letterfinlay Lodge? well it's less of a hotel more of a home from home staying with friends type of place. From the moment you arrive to the second you leave everything is perfect. The staff are extremely helpful the rooms are very very well appointed and trhe whole place is clean beyond compare. As for the food.....well go and try it, in my view its the very best Scotland has to offer. If you going to stay here for a night a week or longer you will not go wrong, Major hotel operators should also visit to see what it's like to enter a hotel as a person and not a number with a credit card , they will also understand what a real hotel experience is all about. AA***** from me

Room Tip: Every room is a best room but for me try room 7
2 Thank paul_godwin
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you found our Hotel to be the best Hotel that you have stayed in and I will ensure that I pass your kind feedback onto my Team.

Donald Allan

PS:- You should think about coming back for New Year, it will be an excellent night.
northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend and the setting could not have been more picturesque. Due to no fault of the hotel, the booking website had lost our booking, the staff dealt with this very well and gave us a lovely suite. The hotel facilities were very comfortable with a lounge with sky TV, darts and private veranda overlooking the Loch.

Both our evening meal and breakfast were of good quality and service was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seahorseuk
DonaldAllan, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for your review.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Donald Allan

PS:- You should come and see us in July or August we will have more fresh local seafood on our menu and our boat in the water.
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

We booked the Hotel based on all the excellent reviews, but were quite disappointed. You basically just pay for the view/location.They have used an excellent photographer who makes the hotel look very nice and stylish. In reality it’s not as nice.
The refurbishment work has been done very half hearted.
We were particularly unlucky with our room. The first night we couldn’t have a hot shower. Unless you ask them to press the booster button, you won’t have any hot water in the evening. If there is hot water, there is basically no pressure to have a proper shower anyway.
Our TV didn’t work and they forgot the kettle in our room. (It has been fixed after complaining twice)
Check in was supposed to be at 14:00 but after arriving at 14:30 we were sent away and asked to come back at 15:30. They have a big sign saying: Food served all day...but of course we couldn’t have lunch while we were waiting for our rooms as there is no food served between 2 and 5 .
We had dinner there once and the food is nice and staff tries its best, but the service is very unprofessional. (Don’t expect to be able to test the wine before it is served or the waitress to speak English.)
Bar closes around 22:30.
Would have been nice to be offered a small discount.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
DonaldAllan, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for your review.

I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

The rooms that you booked through Late Rooms were 2 standard rooms. Our standard rooms have not been refurbished however are graded 3 stars by the AA and are of a good 3 star standard.

Our superior rooms have all been fully refurbished to a 4 star standard and are of excellent quality and can be seen on our website along with pictures of our standard rooms. I do not understand why you are under the impression that our standard rooms have been refurbished because this is not detailed in Late Rooms or our own website.

I am sorry that you did not have hot water on your first night. Our Hot water is switched on all day and night. On investigating this situation I have identified that we have had a problem with our heating programmer and this has now been replaced so this will not happen again.

I do not understand why you could not get any food at 14:00hrs because I have CCTV and order slip evidence that we had served sandwiches, soups and scones from 14:00hrs to 16:00hrs. I also do not understand why you were not served in the bar after 22:30hrs because the bar served drinks on that evening up to midnight.

I am really sorry that you did not have a good experience at our Hotel and can assure you this is not a normal occurrence. As you can see from our Trip Advisor comments most of our Customers have an excellent experience.

Once again I am extremely sorry and I would be exceptionally grateful if you would allow me to contact you by telephone to resolve your complaint.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Fantastic place - enjoyed 2 wonderful days in this place. I made a mistake with my reservation - but the staff was very accommodating and put my family up in another room. The room was very clean (almost new) and the place in general has a lot of character (the pool room, the entertainment lounge, the deck and the dining area are fabulous). There was even a small play area which my kids thoroughly enjoyed. Access to the lake is also available.

If you are travelling with your family (esp with little kids), I would recommend that you book one of their cottages with self-service option. The only downside is that they don't have internet connection - but again, you may not want to be connected when you stay in this place. Overall - it definitely merits more than a 3* rating!!

Would love to come back to this place sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank prexy
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I will pass your kind comments onto our Team.

Donald Allan

PS:- You should come up any time from May to September and I will take you out on the Hotel boat and show you the beautiful sights of Loch Lochy.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

Stayed for only one night, arriving evening and leaving early. Booking was very quick and easy over the phone. I didn't know beforehand about the restaurant, so we were all very impressed with the selection and quality from starters through desert; all highly recommended. We were leaving very early the next morning so the staff came in early and left us a continental breakfast for us which was a very nice touch. Room was clean and bed relatively comfortable, although I wish they had left the heat on at night. The problem was with the (very large) bathroom which needed cleaning: The access pipe behind the toilet was missing a cap, there was mildew in the shower, and due to a leaking tap in the shower which had been leaking for a long time as it was very slimy when I took the shower. As it was very early in the morning when I noticed, I didn't bother to ask to change rooms or anything, and I'm sure judging from the nice staff they would have fixed it. Still, as my wife refused to use the shower, it kind of put a dent into what was otherwise a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meatshawarma
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay however extremely concerned and sorry that you found our bath to be dirty of which we are extremely sorry for.

All our baths are deep cleaned daily using commercial cleaning products. The bath does not have mildew, it is staning due to the age of the bath. Our bath in this room is a collector’s item and is over 100 years old. Most of our Customers like this bath because it is so unique.

I will pass your kind comments onto our Team.

Donald Allan

PS:- You should come up any time from May to September and I will take you out on the Hotel boat and show you the beautiful sights of Loch Lochy and give you one of our rooms with a modern bath.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spean Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Roybridge

Been to Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!