“Great place to stay in Spean bridge”

Coire Glas Guest House
Ranked #18 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay in Spean bridge”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Lovely Guest House with views of the Ben Nevis massif. Very helpful Landlady, don't know where these negative reviewers must have been staying !! Yes, my door locked just fine too.
Just for the record, was in the area for a little run over the Ben - which I duly completed. It did take me a fairly slow 3hr 15 mins though. My excuse being I live in flat Suffolk, and am nearly 65. Must practice harder !

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Our host picked us up at the end of our walk to Gairlochy. We stayed for one night in this cozy place. Lovely rooms. Great view from the dining room. Breakfast was great (complete with black pudding). All in all - a friendly place.

• Stayed June 2013
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Arrived to unwelcoming landlady......though up to payment was very friendly!!! She showed us to our very clean and tidy rooms that were not lockable from the outside and with a hell of a lot of electrical equipment this unnerved me. We proceeded to unpack our car and so we could set up for the caledonian challenge the next day. I was rudely asked if I was going to bring in a gas bottle and stove to which I replied no. She commented "you would be surprised what people bring in" needless to say I am not surprised people bring their own cooking equipment into a guest house that does not provide breakfast! I asked about tea and coffee in the morning and you would think I was asking for gold plated cutlery. Again rudely, I was advised this facility is in your room. My friend politely asked about the wifi I which she rudely advised some get it some don't! You must be one who doesn't, the code is on the door.... The funniest thing was when i asked if she would mind putting something in the fridge till the morning. i nearly dropped to the floor when she replied "well how will you get it out?" by this point i was struggling to hold my tongue but did not want to embarrass my friends. I very politely (kill with kindness!) said would you mind putting it out when you set up for breakfast? Like it would hurt to pull it out in the morning! Please give me strength!!! Also when she asked my partner would he be returning after he dropped us she asked did he want a full fry. He was working out what time roughly he would be back and he replied with yes that would be nice, ill be back about half 7. She snootily and abruptly replied "no breakfast is 8 or half past, what time". Completely un-accommodating for £65 that I paid plus my 3 friends who also paid £65, for what I am not sure???? Once I had made my own breakfast and tea in the morning my partner dropped me and my team at the start line only to return to hear the landlady moaning about the mess that was left in the dining hall....... Can someone tell this lady she runs a B&B??? What service am I paying for??? I have to make my own breakfast and clear up....if my parents ran their guest house like this they would never have guests return! I have travelled the world and have stayed in hostels/guest houses with better treatment and better breakfast served and people who will bend over backwards to help you for far less money.I personally feel the landlady is in the wrong business and someone needs to tell her she is in the hospitality business!!!! And she is their to serve and accommodate her PAYING guests!had the service been free I could understand her complaint! I paid less to stay in the crown plaza Glasgow and was treated like high class guests! My partner assures me the gentleman he met in the morning was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Don't book here! Find another guest house....would not recommend a dog to stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kerry T

Travelers are raving about these Spean Bridge hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

B&B with clean room, but unfortunately landlady not helpful or welcoming. We were a group of quiet, tidy friends getting ready for a sporting event, and needed a place to stay close to Spean bridge. Due to a 6 o'clock start no breakfast was possible, although this was supposed to be included. Landlady even refused to set teacups out, and suggested we bring our own. She did leave some yoghurt for us, but then complained that we didn't clear our table afterwards. She didn't seem to like having people staying in her house - I would not consider it again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, no choice of rooms offered.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravellingZac
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as the original place we had booked was unable due to personal circumstances to fulfil our booking. We arrived to find a mistake with the booking. We had booked 3 rooms for 7 people originally and when this booking was transferred to this guest house I needed to let the hosts know we'd had a cancellation and only 6 people would be arriving. Arrive at the guest house to find she's only allocated us two rooms so two of us had to share a double bed. Not ideal for work colleagues but as we were taking part in a 54 mile charity walk on The West Highland Way the next morning we didn't have any choice but to accept the two rooms, which did not have keys and were not lockable from the outside. On arrival Gill asked who was paying and when we said we'd like to pay separately she looked at us in disgust and we finally agreed that we would go to a cashpoint to get her the cash out. The event required 4 of us to have an early breakfast which Gill said would be put out from 4.00 a.m. We arrived in the breakfast room to find three different cereals out and some orange juice. No tea or coffee, we had to bring the kettle and mugs from the room and make it at our table. Breakfast was at 8.00 a.m. and as we needed to leave before then there was no way she was putting herself out and making us an early breakfast although we had paid for a cooked breakfast. The rooms were dated but clean. There's no chance of the customer being right with this host. Rules are rules and if she's displeased with you she lets you know! You cannot check in before 4 p.m. and it's a 9.00 a.m. check out. Don't know why she runs a B&B as she's not at all friendly.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jonnywizznbee
london
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The owner must have been a military worker I feel so strict & impolite . I suggest she goes through hospitality training to deal with clients or We arrived there travelling from London … tried & exhausted in the evening. Met with Gill McDougall at the reception & there she goes … ur late, this is my house, no food blah blah blah . Breakfast will not be served if ur late must be there either at 8:00 or 8:30 . no delays blah blah . Unable to take on the horrible torture she had endured on us & my young daughter of 4 yrs we had to move out of the room that was booked & instead stay at a finer hotel at Fort William

My sincere suggestion anyone looking to book Coire Glas Guest House please think twice. There are better places in Fort William than staying with an inhospitable barking dog

Room Tip: Please avoid
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 22jn
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great hospitality, arranged for a late arrival due to driving up late from down South. Very nice clean rooms, with clean and tidy bathroom. Great breakfast, especially the black pudding and great value for our stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 23 in Spean Bridge
Spean Bridge Hotel
Spean Bridge Hotel
#23 of 23 in Spean Bridge

Been to Coire Glas Guest House? Share your experiences!