“rip off and dirty”

Ranked #7 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Guadalajara, Spain
“rip off and dirty”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked an ensuite room on the Internet one month before. When I arrived at the guest house, they gave a bedroom with shared bathroom. I told them that this wasn't the kind of room I had booked, but they didn't want to go down the price.

I decided not to argue with them because one of the owners started to get angry. But when I went to bed, I discovered my bed was dirty! The sheets had hairs! How disgusting! I would never come back there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Lorena R
brownlj, Owner at Inverour Guest House, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hello Lorena,
Thank you for your feed back but there are a couple of misleading points here. That I think could be sour grapes.
You asked for a single room, at a cost of £30.00! bed and breakfast which you told me you had seen on our web site, It was explained that this is a standard room not en-suite. We still have your e-mail on the computer dated 10.7.12 sent at 14.09 which is the booking you took and agreed too. It is unfortunate that after arriving and using the room, for some 90 minutes you then decided that didn't want this room.
All the other rooms were booked so no upgrade to single occupancy of a double en-suite was available which was explained to you, if we could have upgraded you, we would have but we couldn't !, but on saying that you wanted a cheap room and a upgrade would have been double the cost if we had one available.
If on returning to your room you thought it was dirty, you were under no obligation to stay and if you had come and seen us and showed us your concerns and we found this to be true ! we would have been mortified, we work extremely hard to maintain a clean environment, and in 10 years have never been accused of having a dirty bedroom or house, as can be seen in previous reviews. The previous reviewer had use of the same room and facilites. We feel this reflects our standards more than your comments and find it extremley disappointing that you made the comments just because you booked the wrong room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed in a single room for one night while up North bagging some Munros. I found it to be a friendly, comfortable and homely stay. It is good value for money and I would readily stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Philip M
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My sister and I, both from Canada, recently had occasion to stay at this guest house at the end of June. It was a very quick trip in that we had just been advised of the passing of our mother and were there for her funeral which was being held at the next little town. We had family just down the road, within walking distance, and the accommodation was in a perfect location for us. The rooms were adequate for the price, much as we had expected given that it is an older but delightful establishment, but it was also neat as a pin and very clean. The owners were both good and hard working hosts. Lesley went above and beyond in terms of kindness and support and I felt bonded with her instantly - what a lovely person!Both my sister and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackie R
, Manager at Inverour Guest House, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind words, I hope that your both doing well after your traumatic time, and I do understand how you felt, and I wish you well for the future, and hope to see you both again, in Scotland.
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on our first night of walking The Great Glen Way. It is very well positioned in the village, just at the intersection of two roads, and next to the excellent Smiddy restaurant. The host was very welcoming and made us packed breakfasts for the next day as we were leaving early for the walk to Fort Augustus. The room itself was clean and tidy, and the shower was good with decent pressure. No complaints at all, I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012
brownlj, Manager at Inverour Guest House, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your review, hope your walk to Fort Augustus, went well it was definately a long day for you both.
South East England
Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a find! We booked through a website and were a bit worried about the couple of negative comments from some years back. All I can say is that this was probably one of the nicest Guest Houses we’ve stayed in, and we’ve stayed in quite a few. The owners are very friendly, even when under pressure (it being the Jubilee Bank Holiday) and had time to listen to everyone and make sure they experienced a good stay. Lesley, one of the owners, has special skills in identifying people’s needs and accommodating them. She has a very good knowledge of the local area and will gladly offer suggestions so people can use the information as part of planning their day.

The Guest House is extremity well organised, this may as someone earlier commented on, lead to some ‘rules’ but please remember that these ‘rules’ are there for the benefit of people having a good experience whilst staying there, we certainly did. Yes breakfast has a narrow timeline and is ordered the day before but this means you get a super breakfast freshly cooked, the sausages we had tasted lovely, one guest asked whether he could get some like it. A number of people had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg option. The breakfast menu allows the guests to pick from a range of items offered as part of a Scottish breakfast or lighter option. If breakfast is needed out of the core time a more continental form of breakfast is provided if possible and with prior notice. Whilst we were there a couple who had arrived late the night before from South America were treated with such friendliness and choices were explained to them, well beyond what you can expect in many Guest Houses. A packed lunch can be ordered the day before and provided at a reasonable cost. Whilst we didn’t need one ourselves we overhead comments from other guests that the quality was very good.

Our room was immaculately clean. We had our own controls for the heating both in the shower room and in the bedroom. The electric shower is very efficient but as someone said don’t forget to turn it on using the pull cord. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided with extra wine glasses if you wish to have a drink in your room. The beds were really comfortable with immaculate bed linen.

The location was great. There is good access by public transport and I gather the owners will assist with local transport at a moderate charge. We came by car and were able to use the good sized car park at the rear. There are loads of lovely drives around the area. A number of people were walking the Great Glen path.

Re eating out, I gather the local restaurant isn’t too wonderful, we had some fish and chips one night from the local chippy and they were super. If travelling by car Fort William isn’t too far away and there is plenty of choice there.

All in all this is an excellent standard Guest House, run and managed by committed and well informed owners and I would have no reservation in recommending it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice review, we do work very hard to keep our standards up and its nice to know we are appreciated.
dorset
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I visited this guest house in April 2011. After a 13 hour trip up from the south coast of England I was more than pleased to be greeted with a warm and friendly welcome. The ensuite room was spotless, the bed comfy, and the food excellent.
Throughout my stay the owners were both friendly and informative and the breakfast second to none. I would be more than happy to make a return visit.
Thankyou Inverour Guest House.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Really this Guest House delivered in every way. Helpfully picking us up from Laggan Locks as we were walking the Great Glen Way. Clean room with good facilities. Excellent breakfast. Packed lunch that weighed us down. Sitting room for guests and so on. However, there were a lot of Do's and Don'ts including a reference to the Area Smoking Officer for those caught offending! Unfortunately, I got on on wrong side of the owner by almost adding milk to our flask of hot water at the breakfast table. This resulted in her berating me in front of other guests! My guess is they had suffered with difficult guests in the past and are perhaps a bit jaded especially now at the end of the season. Shame, as it was upsetting for me after what was otherwise a lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Inverour Guest House, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for your postive comments, I do however have to answer some of the negatives you have stated, as our do's and don'ts!
It is a offence to smoke in any properties in the Highlands, and by law we are required to point out that persons found doing so could face prosecution, this is not one of the do's and don'ts it is the law, in Scotland.
We work very hard to keep a clean, tidy, well kept accommodation, which you have kindly commented on, so some rules do need to be in place, unfortunately some people don't appreciate, the hard work it takes to maintain this equalibrium, and see them as do's and don'ts.
As for you feeling "berated", what was said to you was "you could have asked" I think you took it out of context, it was a referral to manners.
We have no problem making flasks of tea, coffee, free of charge, and do so on a regular basis, all it takes is for people to ask.
I would not dream of helping myself to anything any where without asking first, perhaps I'm at fault there.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spean Bridge
#3 of 23 in Spean Bridge
Smiddy House
Smiddy House
#4 of 23 in Spean Bridge

Been to Inverour Guest House? Share your experiences!